Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I'm stunned. Just added up my van resto costs (included).
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreenG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: I'm stunned. Just added up my van resto costs (included). Reply with quote

I bought a nice, but not perfect 88 Westy about 4 years ago for $9500. Good driving condition, no real rust (that I could see), generally a nice unit, drove fine. Then I developed a mental health issue known as Resto-itis ( which is not, it seems, covered by Blue Cross Blue Shield).

My "Doctor" (who owns a Syncro with a Bostig conversion) says sitting in front of the computer with a beer, The Samba, and a credit card was a contributing factor.

Since I'm about done (except for some interior rust behind the kitchen I need to do - it never really ends right?), I decided to add up what I spent.

This was a very, very bad idea. Just goes to show how quickly things can get out of hand even when you start with a nice van. But, I think it's probably worth about what I have into it, and that's not counting 48000 miles of family and solo travel, camping, and memories. Thought you might be interested in the details...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by GreenG on Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm stunned. Just added up my van resto costs (included). Reply with quote

Neato! It looks like a deal at twice the price.

You may have a formula error between Radiator and Window Switch that overstates your cost by $650 or so. Feel free to send me a 10% finders fee. Very Happy Cool Very Happy

$50 an hour for bodywork? I'm moving to NC when it's time for paint and seam rust repair.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).

Last edited by jimf909 on Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
GreenG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm stunned. Just added up my van resto costs (included). Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

You may have a formula error between Radiator and Window Switch that overstates your cost by $700 or so. Feel free to send me a 10% finders fee. Very Happy Cool Very Happy

You are correct! I'll send you 10% of the amount I actually saved right away! Very Happy
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm stunned. Just added up my van resto costs (included). Reply with quote

Wow. No. No! Off! Bad dog!

I have a folder of same. You are more brave than I. My heirs can do the totals. I am not brave enough.

Now image if one of those line items was a moto swap with tranny rebuild? Argh. It’s like a scary clown.

Thanks for sharing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm stunned. Just added up my van resto costs (included). Reply with quote

Your list has a header for "Motor Rebuild" and then the job description includes pistons, cylinders, and heads. For future reference, it isn't an engine rebuild when you don't address the crankcase.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm stunned. Just added up my van resto costs (included). Reply with quote

You haven’t even scratched the surface of insanity. Have you considered an engine conversion and/or Syncro conversion? 😂🤣😂

If you were to offer up your Westy for sale I bet you’d recoup 100% of your expenses so far in less than 7 days.

Calm down. You are doing more than fine.

Last edited by ThankYouJerry on Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
GreenG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm stunned. Just added up my van resto costs (included). Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
Your list has a header for "Motor Rebuild" and then the job description includes pistons, cylinders, and heads. For future reference, it isn't an engine rebuild when you don't address the crankcase.

True, and good point. It was mostly just top-end, but that was the description that was in my head, and the list wasn't started with public consumption in mind, so there it is...
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm stunned. Just added up my van resto costs (included). Reply with quote

I agree, $11,100 is pretty cheap. I spent that much on just a diesel engine, transmission rebuild and wheels. But what the hell, transportation costs money, right?
GypsyDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm stunned. Just added up my van resto costs (included). Reply with quote

Seems about right. I spent about the same in the year after my initial purchase trying to get it in shape and a few DIY upgrades and I didn't get as good a deal on the purchase of the vehicle itself as you did.

but wait, there's more! there's the eventual inevitability of a transmission rebuild at ~$3K .... I caught the pre-runner bug (suspension lift, wheels & tires, steel bumpers, LT mirrors, Peloquin, 944 CVs at ~$4K) ... and I just put down a deposit on a Bostig conversion that'll run me ~$8 to $10K next year with another $3-4K on fuel, cooling, A/C overhauls, and a little paint and bodywork. This is an expensive love affair.

Welcome to the club.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm stunned. Just added up my van resto costs (included). Reply with quote

GypsyDriver wrote:
there's the eventual inevitability of a transmission rebuild at ~$3K ....

2WD transmission costs a lot less than $3K to have rebuilt.
GreenG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm stunned. Just added up my van resto costs (included). Reply with quote

One thing you might find interesting is the 2 hours/$170 my mechanic charged to clean up the block and heads due to "stop leak residue". I can't say what the PO did, but the only thing I ever used was the Subaru cooling system treatment. Not saying that was what gummed things up, but it's a datapoint...
GypsyDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm stunned. Just added up my van resto costs (included). Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
GypsyDriver wrote:
there's the eventual inevitability of a transmission rebuild at ~$3K ....

2WD transmission costs a lot less than $3K to have rebuilt.

I bought a NOS automatic with no core for $3,200. I do agree you can do it for less. I rebuilt my original transaxle myself for less than $500 in parts from WIT. If you outsource it ... GoWesty: $2,339.95 plus $1,500 core plus shipping. GTA: $1,795 plus $750 core plus shipping.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm stunned. Just added up my van resto costs (included). Reply with quote

If you have your trans rebuilt, there is no core charge. There is only a core charge if you buy a rebuilt transmission without supplying one for the rebuild.

I assumed manual trans, in which case, Arizona Transaxle - $1350.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: I'm stunned. Just added up my van resto costs (included). Reply with quote

Your basic mistake is keeping track of your costs. Wink
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: I'm stunned. Just added up my van resto costs (included). Reply with quote

I did this for Domo, and over five years of ownership, it came to about $40,000 (H6 conversion, destroying 3 different H6 motors, shipping to the States, etc...)!
I have a new folder going for Frank, and it's about an inch and a half thick at the moment.
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: I'm stunned. Just added up my van resto costs (included). Reply with quote

You could have saved yourself some money by not getting the "buffalo westy" decal.
Beautiful westy.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: I'm stunned. Just added up my van resto costs (included). Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:

What would Robbie Think?

Let's see 48000 miles , Fed rate is a bit over 50 cents per mile all in, so projected cost of ownership. $24000

You've done it on 30 year old car with way more functionality than a sedan at $20,000

You've done well!
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: I'm stunned. Just added up my van resto costs (included). Reply with quote

now go and get an appraisal, for your insurance value
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: I'm stunned. Just added up my van resto costs (included). Reply with quote

Yep. It adds up but is worth every penny.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: I'm stunned. Just added up my van resto costs (included). Reply with quote

Im in for 6k if you dont count the van. Just since June or so when the thing rolled into my life. To be truthful it was towed.
Thanks for keeping the economy rolling. You da man.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: