Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

77 Standard Resurrection
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: 77 Standard Resurrection Reply with quote

So, as if my plate is not full enough. I have a young person in the house that will be in need of a car in several months. To teach value, I believe a person needs to earn what will be theirs. Enter my father in law. Great guy whom I absolutely love! Has treated me as his own, starting from day one. Love that guy.

Anyways, he had a tenant that had a problem paying their monthly rental payment. Renter had a 77 Bug, he was restoring, sitting in a parking spot, for the last 10 years! Long to short, guy gave the Bug to the Father in Law. My in law tried his very best to get the Bug running. Did not work out. Sat for a few more years. He calls me and lets me know that he wants to give me the Bug to get going, to sell, in an effort to buy the youngest a car. She gets her license in January.

Yesterday, I drove up the hill and picked up the 77. The father in law got some tires on it a few years ago, so those were in decent shape. Clamped the tow bar to it, and me and the wife drove 2-1/2 hours back to the house.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Got to the house after dark. Rolled it in the garage and figured I would give it a good look the next day.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Standard Resurrection Reply with quote

Still fuel injected?
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Standard Resurrection Reply with quote

Like that color Jimbo!
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Standard Resurrection Reply with quote

Great starting point Cool
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Standard Resurrection Reply with quote

Ah the 77 standard sun roof model. The last year the standard was imported, nice find. Keep us all posted on the "Get it Running".

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Standard Resurrection Reply with quote

All the nice cars are in the West coast. All we have here in the Northeast coast is over priced rust buckets. Sad

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Standard Resurrection Reply with quote

Still fuel injected.

On Sunday, I went diving into the Bug. To see what I could see, see, see. Found me a fried battery positive feeder cable from the battery to the Alternator.

Decided to pull the loom and repair. Looked through the classified ads and found nothing I was willing to purchase.

The fuel injected harness did not get burned but there are two vacuum hoses which need to be replaced.

If I can get it to run with a repaired harness, it may be a worth while project.

Can you believe someone allowed a car to sit because a wire went south? Most likely the alternator is fried, still need to test that out.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Standard Resurrection Reply with quote

Congratulations, VW_Jimbo. Looks like a great starting point.

In your neck of the woods, that car will have to pass a smog test. Pray
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Standard Resurrection Reply with quote

kpf wrote:
Congratulations, VW_Jimbo. Looks like a great starting point.

In your neck of the woods, that car will have to pass a smog test. Pray

Yes, it will. It was smoged a few years ago, so hoping everything is working and functional. If not, I will be searching for parts or disassembling this and selling as parts. We will see what happens. The damn harness is almost going to cost more than the car is worth in okay shape! Lets see what happens. I would have a really hard time parting this decent Bug out. That would hurt my heart!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Standard Resurrection Reply with quote

Will be cool to see this resurrected. Only a little over 12,000 1977 Sedans were sold in the USA!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Standard Resurrection Reply with quote

If it comes to that, maybe try to sell the car to a non-smog state/county.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Standard Resurrection Reply with quote

No smog test in Ohio Jimbo. Send it over here and Joey and I will arm wrestle for it. Laughing

On Ebay there are vendors of wire that will sell rolls and rolls of any colored wire, with stripes, etc.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Rolls-100-Feet-14-GA-Ga...ect=mobile

I bet you could build a main harness cheap.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Standard Resurrection Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
No smog test in Ohio Jimbo. Send it over here and Joey and I will arm wrestle for it. Laughing

On Ebay there are vendors of wire that will sell rolls and rolls of any colored wire, with stripes, etc.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Rolls-100-Feet-14-GA-Ga...ect=mobile

I bet you could build a main harness cheap.

I actually looked through the Ebay wire section. Was and still is an option. But instead found a 76 harness for sale here on the Samba. It is supposed to be here on Friday. Then I will spend several days going through that harness and installing it.

The Bug and I are just sitting in Limbo right now! Hopefully the harness I receive is in good shape and has the main wires intact. If I need to pull a few, so be it. Better than reinventing the wheel! Plus, all the right colors and tracers will be there! Its those tracers!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Standard Resurrection Reply with quote

Nice haul.
Hoping the ECM survived that fireworks show ......
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Standard Resurrection Reply with quote

FeelthySanchez wrote:
Nice haul.
Hoping the ECM survived that fireworks show ......

Thanks man! I am hoping the same. Wont know till I can start it, so.....

maybe if time permits this weekend, I will hot wire the engine and get it to run. Will keep you posted!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Standard Resurrection Reply with quote

Wait a minute ... doe this mean Jimbo is in limbo ? At least until the harness arrives.

Sorry ... couldn't resist. Just proving why my wife tells others she "caint takes me nowheres".

Much thanks to ALL you do for The Samba members & I'm sure many others.

Best regards ... jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Standard Resurrection Reply with quote

jinx758 wrote:
Wait a minute ... doe this mean Jimbo is in limbo ? At least until the harness arrives.

Sorry ... couldn't resist. Just proving why my wife tells others she "caint takes me nowheres".

Much thanks to ALL you do for The Samba members & I'm sure many others.

Best regards ... jinx

Loving it! I enjoy good fun!

No limbo here. Tomorrow I am running a power feed to the coil, because I need to know if this thing will start. I will also connect a starter button. We are going to see if this will purr or lay silently.

Harness is due in officially on the 26th! So, guess what I am doing? Going to a few museums in downtown Los Angeles with the family. But on the 27th, I will be working on the Bugs!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: 77 Standard Resurrection Reply with quote

Sound like the proper approach to this 77 model. Yes I would have to say a lil rare late model due to the low amount of them in the USA.
This time of year family first.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Standard Resurrection Reply with quote

So, on with the story...……………..

Got some time on Friday, after work, right before beer o'clock! Just reviewing what was going on. Went through all of the FI connectors and terminals, making sure they were clean and happily seated in their housings. Checked out the double relay and ECM for any off smells or burned markings. Everything looked in tact and happy. I also came up with a plan of attack.

I looked in my Bentley manual and did not find a wiring schematic for my Bug. Apparently the book stops at 74! Why?!?! So, I downloaded the wiring schematic from this website and blew it up in "Paint". I then copied it into Word and printed it out onto three pages. I then taped them all together and mounted onto a piece of cardboard. I then hung it on the wall above the sink in the garage, so that I had easy access and easy viewing! Worked out great. But that was the end of the time. It was time to go to the local brewery and drink a few beers!!!! Love my Fridays!!!

So, onto Saturday, went ahead and connected several of the wires from one point to the other point, to get the car running. I used mostly remnants from wiring house. I have this scrap bin that I throw the cut off segments into. At the end of several months, I have one of the employees strip it down to copper and take it to the scrap recycler. The money goes into a general account that we use to buy the guys lunch every now and then. Between the copper wire, the copper pipes, the brass pipes and the remainder of aluminum window frames, they get lunch a few dozen times through out the year!

Anyways here are the pictures, because everyone likes pictures! And yes, that is either Romex or Romex that has had the exterior insulation removed.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 Standard Resurrection Reply with quote

After that, I went to start it. It cranked over but just would not catch. I could spray carb cleaner into the AFM to keep it going, but it refused to run on its own. So, I pulled the AFM off and look what I found.....

Looks good right.....but then you give it a tiny squeeze and take a good look!

So, still not wanting to spend any money on this yet, I did what anyone with a bunch of Blue tape does. I taped up the air boot!

Quality tape job right there!!!!

Best thing is it started and died. Disappointment again, but I got further along!

Started it and kept it running by continuously spraying carb cleaner at the AFM. I would alternate between the AFM and different spots around the engine bay. When I shot the rubber boot at the end casting to plenum, the car raced up in rpms. Inspected it closely and found that the boot was not fully installed over the seam. Pushed it over a 1/2 inch or so and went into the cabin and turned the key. BAM!!!! The car started and ran on its own!!!!

Damn vacuum leaks!! That what I am always talking about. You got to dig deep and be really observant.

Car was running decent. I set some basics. Adjusted the brakes, checked all of the fluids and tucked the suedo wiring harness into the passenger compartment. Reinstalled the drivers seat and went for a drive. Me and the youngest pulled out of the garage and went around the block.

It made it around the block with no engine or tranny issues. Kept it under 20mph but managed to shift through all of the gears. All good. Can not wait to take it out on the open road!

However, during the time driving (all three minutes) managed to feel the front end is way out and really loose!! Thinking balljoints and a steering box rebuild, with tie rod ends. It is super stiff, probably in need of shocks. And the worst thin is I got dripped on from the sunroof. Even though there is a huge glob of silicon sealant sitting in there. But I figured that was going to leak, just not that soon. Its been sitting inside the garage for a week now!

Harness should be here on the 26th!

Until the next update!...……………………………………………..

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: