Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

saggy rear end
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruce pattison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: saggy rear end Reply with quote

I have a 1969 beetle, It seems to have developed a saggy rear end on the driver’s side, about 1" . The shocks are almost new, the tire pressures are equal. Could it be a torsion bar? Do they wear out? Because it is tough to adjust, It was suggested to put on adjustable shocks, would that help? By adjusting the shock, would that raise the ride height?
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: saggy rear end Reply with quote

torsion bars can wear out and even break without a doubt. If you have no leaks from your shocks and your trailing arms are not bent, that is kind of the only option left
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: saggy rear end Reply with quote

bruce pattison wrote:
I have a 1969 beetle, It seems to have developed a saggy rear end on the driver’s side, about 1" . The shocks are almost new, the tire pressures are equal. Could it be a torsion bar? Do they wear out? Because it is tough to adjust, It was suggested to put on adjustable shocks, would that help? By adjusting the shock, would that raise the ride height?

The torsion bars will sag over time and need to be adjusted. The shock absorber stops the tendency of the torsion bar (it's basically a spring) from bouncing the car. Here's how I "re-indexed" my torsion bars ...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=84

Ignore the part about notching the spring plate and removing the rear trailing arm. Notching the spring plate is an off-road mod for more travel and I only removed the trailing arm to change out the pivot bushing and modify the lower shock mount.

The stock setting is about 21-22 degrees ( With the spring plate off the stop ).
http://vw.zenseeker.net/Wheels-TorsionBars.htm

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: saggy rear end Reply with quote

Two ways to raise a sagging VW rear end: Adjust torsion bars or install air-adjustable shock absorbers in the rear, like Gabriel Hi-Jackers.

I have adjusted torsion bars on a VW just once; on my own 1971 VWI have used the second option for 2 decades.

I can't remember if it was on my 1970 VW that I adjusted the rear torsion bars or a different VW, but that would've been over 4 decades ago.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: saggy rear end Reply with quote

The cure is to readjust the torsion bar(s). Take some time and is not all that easy. I have performed the operation on my 68 and wish now I would have gone two more clicks on the splines.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: saggy rear end Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
The cure is to readjust the torsion bar(s). Take some time and is not all that easy. I have performed the operation on my 68 and wish now I would have gone two more clicks on the splines.

Why I chose to do air-adjustable shock absorbers on mine, the adjustment is not so easy.....

Saggy rear end is not good !!!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: saggy rear end Reply with quote

It also might not be the torsion bars, but instead the inner and outer spring plate bushings which are made out of rubber and wear down and deteriorate over time. They support the torsion bar on the outboard side.

https://www.mtmfg.com/part/view/bushings-for-sprin...-246-L%2FR
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: saggy rear end Reply with quote

It is probably not a broken torsion bar . If it was it would probably be sagging more.

A possibility could be as simple as loose bolts on the trailing arm to hub connection. This used to happen to me until I put an extra bolt in.
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: saggy rear end Reply with quote

Beetlenut's comment above is pretty logical as well. It's fairly uncommon for torsion bars weaken only on one side. The bushings aren't any easier to change than adjusting the splines, but an uneven adjustment from one side to the other (even 1 click) is problematic, too.

I last adjusted a '63 swing axle about 5 years ago. It was a time-consuming job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: saggy rear end Reply with quote

If those are the original spring plate bushings, they most likely will come out flat on the bottom. When I replaced my original ones on my 74, it definitely made the rear sit a little higher. As long as he marks the position of the spring plate on the torsion housing once he unloads the preload. they go back together pretty straight forwardly. I'll be going back in in the Spring to reindex my torsion bars, which I'm not really looking forward to, but once it's done I'll be happy.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
andrewvwclassic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: saggy rear end Reply with quote

Angle locator, VW Bentley service manual, Trial and error, some things that come to mind.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: