Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Convertible seat belt color?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Convertible seat belt color? Reply with quote

I have two lobster claw seat belts for my 67 convertible (Ruby red with black interior), however the webbing inside appears to be a gray. I anticipated they would be a black (the housing is a black), and I'm about to get them rewebbed.

Anyone know if they would have been black or gray for this car's interior (perhaps these were gotten after the fact?)?

Thanks!

-Harry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible seat belt color? Reply with quote

I did find this thread, but I'm not sure it answers the question as to what color went with what beetle...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=548098&highlight=convertible+claw+gray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible seat belt color? Reply with quote

To follow-up, all I have seen in pictures (with one exception) is that the webbing is gray. I saw one picture with very nice, black webbing. I'm wondering if it may have been a ghia version (as it seems as though the Ghias also had lobster claw seat belts).
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible seat belt color? Reply with quote

As did the Type 3's and most 67 era Vw's

The two pairs (2 left 2 right) of original 1967 Beetle Convertible seat belts I had and sold .. both were medium gray belt webbing.. with black/charcoal housings. (see lower belt web first pic with faded housing)

They seem to fade from a dark to medium to a light gray after time..
I've never found what I consider dark dark black on the 67 style

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=325247

Not my picture but this is about spot on what I've found even on many Sedans.
One side sometimes will be darker.. maybe from less use??

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just to add some insight.. here are some of the rare 1967 rear seat belts.. which seem to be in very good condition.. Possibly away from sun light for many years.
Note the dark gray color.. I feel this is the true original color of 67 belts.

You should have just continued the other 67 belt color topic.. to consolidate the questioning and information.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible seat belt color? Reply with quote

That picture of rear 1967 seat belts is facinating! Do you know where the picture is from and if there are others? I would love to see that part number. Are thise REPA?

Thanks!
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible seat belt color? Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:
Do you know where the picture is from and if there are others? I would love to see that part number.

It came from member pittwagen 's recent gallery photos....maybe contact that user for more information AND add it here for future information.

The rear 67 claw style are hard to find..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible seat belt color? Reply with quote

Harry, Since we're on a similar mission Laughing Could you do me a huge favor and measure the length of your set of rear seat belts? The guy you referred me to had some similar belts but I don't think they're beetle rear seats. They are made by American Safety may be ghia or possibly BMW but I'd like to modify them for use in my rears. I'll try to add a picture today.
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible seat belt color? Reply with quote

Oh and while I'm at it, I found these photos that might be helpful for future reference as well on the topic of original color.

I think with the NOS convertible belts you can see a hint of the greyish belt. leading me to believe that they're the same color as the sedan belts that we're used to seeing.

harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible seat belt color? Reply with quote

Jos.Hall wrote:

Please tell me those are some old pictures you found, and not some current pictures you took of your personal stash, or I'm going to have a heart attack at how good those look...

-Harry
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible seat belt color? Reply with quote

I wish those were mine. Those were on the 1967beetle page.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: