Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

swing axle race axles
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
clooney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject: swing axle race axles Reply with quote

are they required for a 180hp type 1 mostly street use, occasional trips to the strip.

how strong are the stock short axles before they give way?

Weddle has SAW and "Made in USA" axles, both almost similarly priced.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: swing axle race axles Reply with quote

as long as u don't overtire it you'll be fine Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: swing axle race axles Reply with quote

Occasional trips to the strip is the variable. If you’re going to do a burnout, and tach it up for any decent 60ft. at the track, it’s only a matter of time before the stock ones break. If you can garuntee the wheels will spin, and your suspension is set up to the point you have zero wheel hop, you could get away with the stock axles for a little while. If you’re driving the car to the track, get the aftermarket axles. I’ve been told by more than one person the Sway-A-Way axles are nicer for a dedicated track car since they are a little softer material, and have more of a torsional twist to absorb the shock load. Unfortunately this softer material allows the spades to wear out quicker. For a mostly street driven car, I would get a set of Empi’s swing axles. They are a little harder, and will wear better in the spade area.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clooney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: swing axle race axles Reply with quote

thanks. will not be doing any burnouts. transmission still mostly stock for now, late box with 20mm shaft, late pinion bearing. 3.80, 2.06,1.32, 0.89, 4.125. stock diff. rebushed gear carrier and nosecone, HD aluminium plate, MS bearing stop plate has the Berg centre mount and kafer truss bar. have plans to put in a Quaife TBD when budget permits. tyres currently on radials 205/70

will check out the Empi shafts and also the "made in USA" ones.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: swing axle race axles Reply with quote

A good friend of mine ran 12.1s (and a few 11s)with stock axles for years and never broke them. 200 runs a year

brad
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: swing axle race axles Reply with quote

Is this trans already together, or is it something you’re having built? If having it built, get a 3.78 1st year, and a super diff. The 3.80 1st, and two gear diff will likely fail before the stock axles. Samba member gears prefers to use a stock diff machined for two circle clips for the side gears, and uses the 15/10 tooth combination differential gears. That would help, but the more common 17/11 tooth gear sets won’t last long.

slalombuggy wrote:
A good friend of mine ran 12.1s (and a few 11s)with stock axles for years and never broke them. 200 runs a year

brad

A fellow racer in a series I ran in broke a stock axle in a properly set up 66 Beetle with a 1776. There are extreme durability examples, and extreme failure examples. You can’t go back in time to see the life the car was driven in to evaluate the durability of a 50+ year old part. I’ve driven cars to the track with drivelines with questionable durability, and ones overbuilt to handle twice the power the car was making. It’s a lot more fun when you’re 110% sure the car’s going to make it home.

Last edited by [email protected] on Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:40 am; edited 1 time in total
clooney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: swing axle race axles Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Is this trans already together, or is it something you’re having built? If having it built, get a 3.78 1st year, and a super diff. The 3.80 1st, and two gear diff will likely fail before the stock axles. Samba member gears prefers to use a stock diff machined for two circle clips for the side gears, and uses the 15/10 tooth combination differential gears. That would help, but the more common 17/11 tooth gear sets won’t last long.

already together. been running for 3 years now only on the street.
Bugsy61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: swing axle race axles Reply with quote

I broke the right side at the track, and it took out the transmission. Don't remember the details, it's been too long ago. I only changed the broken one with a SAW axle. Two years later, I broke the left side on the street. My buggy only weighs 1300 pounds, and I've never side stepped a clutch pedal in my life. Suck it up and replace those 55 year old parts. There are only so many torsional twists and rebounds in a bar of steel.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: swing axle race axles Reply with quote

The Sway-Away Axles are a nice and fat. Just beautiful. While you are at it might as well get the 300M input shaft from Weddle.

Almost everybody who upgrades to performance engines will mostly neglect the trans. A fresh trans should go along with the engine upgrade.

It is same w/ the unwritten rule - you kiss the left, you also kiss the right. Very Happy
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: swing axle race axles Reply with quote

I can vouch for SAW. I use them extensively in off road swing axle classes. I have lost just one on my own personnal car. I took it out last year after building it 25 years ago and it had a broken fulcrum plate which dug into the spade. It wasn't a SAW problem. The spades still looked really nice after all that time. They might be softer as has been said as they have been abused for so long with high torsional loads without breaking. Not even stock axles will survive a broken fulcrum digging in to it unless you catch it quick. Note: these were even long axles but the car was airborne half it's life in racing lol.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: swing axle race axles Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Occasional trips to the strip is the variable. If you’re going to do a burnout, and tach it up for any decent 60ft. at the track, it’s only a matter of time before the stock ones break. If you can garuntee the wheels will spin, and your suspension is set up to the point you have zero wheel hop, you could get away with the stock axles for a little while. If you’re driving the car to the track, get the aftermarket axles. I’ve been told by more than one person the Sway-A-Way axles are nicer for a dedicated track car since they are a little softer material, and have more of a torsional twist to absorb the shock load. Unfortunately this softer material allows the spades to wear out quicker. For a mostly street driven car, I would get a set of Empi’s swing axles. They are a little harder, and will wear better in the spade area.

X2 to the Empi axles...I have actually used these because SAW wasn't available.
They work fine and are much cheaper......Most Empi is crap, these are not.
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: swing axle race axles Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

X2 to the Empi axles...I have actually used these because SAW wasn't available.
They work fine and are much cheaper......Most Empi is crap, these are not.
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: swing axle race axles Reply with quote

EMPI axles cheaper than SAW? Not the last time I bought axles and SAW wasn’t available.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: swing axle race axles Reply with quote

HotStreetVw wrote:
EMPI axles cheaper than SAW? Not the last time I bought axles and SAW wasn’t available.

I’ve found them to be very similar in price, around $500 for a pair. There are deals to be had on either axle brand depending on the vendor, and shipping charges. Mcmscott had an issue with a Sway-A-Way set having the splines cut too deep to the point that the bearing inner sealing o-ring didn’t have a full surface to seal. Weddle is out of stock on the Sway-A-Way’s currently, so maybe a new batch is in the works to correct the spline issue. With the trend moving to CV’s, I’m just happy someone is still making the swing axle stuff.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: swing axle race axles Reply with quote

I just checked ebay, and Sway-a-Way are available for $260 a pair, but the Empis are sold 250 each. Huge difference. There has been rumors that the Sway a way are not what they used to be, and the EMPI's might be better. Empis are more expenisive then Swayaway, imagine that.

I got a set of Sway A Ways from Benco recently and they been fine, despite being under $300(only feeding 100 ponies threw them). When things get drastically cheaper, to me red flag goes up. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: swing axle race axles Reply with quote

About two months ago I ordered a set of SAW for my Notchback but the shop wasn’t able to find a set (short axles). SAW didn’t have an ETA and they couldn’t locate a set at another shop. The EMPIs ended up costing quite a bit more, but they look like quality axles.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: swing axle race axles Reply with quote

clooney wrote:
are they required for a 180hp type 1 mostly street use, occasional trips to the strip.

On that note in bold, would a stock diff / 3.88 R&P fresh rebuilt trans with stock internals benefit from Sway-Aways OR will something inside the case break first anyway making the adding of race axles a non factor??

Also, someone mentioned that while replacing to race axles might as well install a 300m input shaft from Weddle at the same time. which is the input shaft, if its labeled differently on that photo?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Scott SD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: swing axle race axles Reply with quote

busey wrote:
clooney wrote:

On that note in bold, would a stock diff / 3.88 R&P fresh rebuilt trans with stock internals benefit from Sway-Aways OR will something inside the case break first anyway making the adding of race axles a non factor??

Also, someone mentioned that while replacing to race axles might as well install a 300m input shaft from Weddle at the same time. which is the input shaft, if its labeled differently on that photo?

Is it a 3.80 1st gear? It is a gamble, what is going to break first. Axles, diff, or 1st gear. 3.88 is stout, no worries there. Best combo is a 3.78 unmodified mainshaft with an 091 1st gear idler, super diff, and better axles.

Input shaft is not in that pic. It is the shaft inside the bellhousing. 300m shaft is not needed.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: swing axle race axles Reply with quote

If I was going to go drag racing I would go IRS and use Datsun Z car half shafts, I know for a fact they will handle over 500hp, a buddy of mine drag races a SBC powered 280Z that makes over 500HP.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: swing axle race axles Reply with quote

Scott SD wrote:
busey wrote:

Is it a 3.80 1st gear? It is a gamble, what is going to break first. Axles, diff, or 1st gear. 3.88 is stout, no worries there. Best combo is a 3.78 unmodified mainshaft with an 091 1st gear idler, super diff, and better axles.

Input shaft is not in that pic. It is the shaft inside the bellhousing. 300m shaft is not needed.

I guess it depends on what you are doing with the car? Like mentioned, the spider gears in the diff, and a 3.80 1st gear will most likely break before the stock axles would. I’d spend the money on improving those first before getting heavier axles. If you do improve on the diff/1st gear/axles, and are racing with slicks, the 300m input shaft isn’t a bad idea to help absorb some of the shock loading. It’s all about moving the weakness in durability up the chain with each progressive upgrade. Simply adding axles to an otherwise stock trans is skipping over some of the bottom links of the chain.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: