Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turbo EFI 2287 Build
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
porkchop-rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Turbo EFI 2287 Build Reply with quote

I am building (with some help) a 2287 86x92TW that will be Turbo and EFI.

The parts list is:
1. TF-1 Aluminum Case (10mm Studs, no Oil control pistons or oil cooler) & Straight Cut Cam gears
2. DRD L6 Heads 42x37.5 (exhaust guides trimmed)
3. AA 92mm Thick-wall Cylinders and Forged Pistons
4. SLR EXR 296 Cam & Lifters
5. Scat 1.4:1 Rockers
6. 86mm Wedgemated crank and lightened flywheel
7. T03/04 Turbo
8. Turbosmart BOV and Wastegate
9. Custom single TB and Air-Air intercooler
10. Haltech Elite 1500 w/ harness and fuse box (FlexFuel)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the case as received. Awesome piece of kit. Surprised how heavy this thing is!

We are currently cleaning up the case. Hoping to start measuring and test fitting some items this weekend!
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo EFI 2287 Build Reply with quote

Oooft nice, how does it work with no oil control pistons?
porkchop-rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo EFI 2287 Build Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:

We will use the Jaycee oil control system. Mounted externally, it will still limit the max oil pressure to 80psi and send the rest to the sump. http://www.jayceevw.com/store/p109/JayCee_Oil_Control_System.html
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo EFI 2287 Build Reply with quote

where are you going to mount an air-to-air intercooler?
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo EFI 2287 Build Reply with quote

The Jaycee setup works great.

I would recommend taking a small file and deburring the TF-1. Lots of “as machined” sharp edges.

Solid foundation your starting wit.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
porkchop-rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo EFI 2287 Build Reply with quote

Dauz wrote:
We have some ideas...it’s really going to be played by ear. My buddy has his mounted behind the shroud, but he has tons of room due to the Porsche style fan.

HotStreetVw wrote:
The Jaycee setup works great.

I would recommend taking a small file and deburring the TF-1. Lots of “as machined” sharp edges.

Solid foundation your starting wit.

Yessir! That is exactly what I am doing. Going over all the edges and cleaning up any burrs or laser sharp corners.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo EFI 2287 Build Reply with quote

Is the no oil control/bypass thing an option, or do they all come like that?

I have a client right now planning on using external lines to run up to the stock oil cooler, so he can still run the engine like factory. If they don't have oil control pistons, he'll have to figure something else out.
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo EFI 2287 Build Reply with quote

porkchop-rob wrote:
Dauz wrote:
We have some ideas...it’s really going to be played by ear. My buddy has his mounted behind the shroud, but he has tons of room due to the Porsche style fan.

What kind of boost numbers are you going for? You can just use that flex-fuel sensor that you noted and run E85 all year. Prolly don't need an intercooler that way.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo EFI 2287 Build Reply with quote

[quote="porkchop-rob"]
Dauz wrote:

I'm not following. Or do you mean air-to-water?
porkchop-rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo EFI 2287 Build Reply with quote

[quote="Dauz"]
porkchop-rob wrote:
Dauz wrote:

I'm not following. Or do you mean air-to-water?
Nope. Air to air. No water. His is mounted between his Porsche style shroud and the firewall.

kangaboy wrote:
What kind of boost numbers are you going for? You can just use that flex-fuel sensor that you noted and run E85 all year. Prolly don't need an intercooler that way.
I am sure we will be in the high teens-low 20s while at the tuners, at least to see what it will do and make sure the maps are there if we want to run there. But the car will most likely be driven on 8-10#s most of the time. Thats kind of the plan. E85 is pretty available all around me. I just want to be sure I can run on 93 if I have to when out of town.
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo EFI 2287 Build Reply with quote

Damn, that's a nice chunk of aluminum. Do they come like that without any perimeter studs? How about main studs or did you put them in? Are they shuffle pinned from the factory?

edit - never mind, just found a thread on it. Beautiful piece of work.
porkchop-rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo EFI 2287 Build Reply with quote

Going over the Engine Blueprint sheets this morning. Everything seems fairly straight forward except Crank Bore Depth and Cam Bore Depth.

Can someone please help me understand what these are asking for and how to measure them?
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo EFI 2287 Build Reply with quote

porkchop-rob wrote:
kangaboy wrote:
I am sure we will be in the high teens-low 20s while at the tuners, at least to see what it will do and make sure the maps are there if we want to run there. But the car will most likely be driven on 8-10#s most of the time. Thats kind of the plan. E85 is pretty available all around me. I just want to be sure I can run on 93 if I have to when out of town.

I decided to forego the intercooler and just do the E85 route. I bought all the fixings for water/meth injection for the rare cases when I have to run pump gas and want to keep the boost turned up, but I haven't had the need to hook it all up yet and I've been able to run the boost up to 20lbs with no pinging on E85. If you are planning on running 8-10psi most of the time, which are what a lot of stock wastegates are set at, you will be fine with pump gas and conservative timing. Air-Air intercoolers are the most inefficient means of cooling, and if you are trying to keep the decklid on your car, it will be tough to setup. If you have E85 readily available, I would push for that.
Just my 2 cents though.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo EFI 2287 Build Reply with quote

I still don't get it.. how tf do you get air to pass through the intercooler if it's mounted on the firewall? Nevermind, don't answer. Sounds hella sketchy..
porkchop-rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo EFI 2287 Build Reply with quote

porkchop-rob wrote:
Going over the Engine Blueprint sheets this morning. Everything seems fairly straight forward except Crank Bore Depth and Cam Bore Depth.

Can someone please help me understand what these are asking for and how to measure them?

Is it this?

porkchop-rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo EFI 2287 Build Reply with quote

This is the parts list for the long block. Please take a look and if anything is glaringly wrong or a complete mis-match!

Thanks!

HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo EFI 2287 Build Reply with quote

Bugaholics is a local shop? Where do you live?

Id switch to a TheDubShop crank pulley and trigger, and the cam sync. I would run Scat rods, 3/8" bolts. You have plenty of room with the drop cam.

Last edited by HotStreetVw on Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:45 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo EFI 2287 Build Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:

They can use a bypass valve set at 70 psi, and Oil will dump back in to the case that way it’s external, less chance of failure and more exact pressure setting. There’s a picture of it somewhere in my photos, it’s the brass piece that goes back into the case off the oil pump.
porkchop-rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo EFI 2287 Build Reply with quote

HotStreetVw wrote:
Bugaholics is a local shop? Where do you live?

Id switch to a TheDubShop crank pulley and trigger, and the cam sync. I would run Scat rods, 3/8" bolts. You have plenty of room with the drop cam.

I live south of Houston. Bugaholics is in Pasadena, TX. Just down the road.

I do have TheDubShop crank trigger.

I will research the rods. I was under the impression that the CB rods were more than capable at this level.

Thanks!
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo EFI 2287 Build Reply with quote

Cool. I live in The Woodlands. Moved down at the beginning of summer. I've been racing my car at Houston Motorsport Park and in the Dallas area at Xtreme and NorthStar.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: