Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

German Lookers Porsche Lug Pattern Spares?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject: German Lookers Porsche Lug Pattern Spares? Reply with quote

Hello, since this is the Super Topic as listed in the Forums and figured since the German Lookers are based on VW Super Beetles, I have a Spare Tire Question that someone out there may be able to answer.

On my Retro Super German Looker I went to Disk Front and Rear and in Doing so I also went to Porsche Boxster Wheels for many reasons.. But here is the Question, what Spare are people putting into there trunks for a Spare tire? A 944 Spare or 928 Spare? Or are they the same wheel?

I do like the idea of an aluminum rim as well for it looses wight that is just being hauled around during daily driving... Thanks for ya'lls time.. RB
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: German Lookers Porsche Lug Pattern Spares? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: German Lookers Porsche Lug Pattern Spares? Reply with quote

I run a Porsche 944 spare. It looks to be slightly smaller in diameter than the original VW spare.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: German Lookers Porsche Lug Pattern Spares? Reply with quote

BeetleNut, I take it you run a Super? Yea, looks like a nice fit, currently I have a 928 Tire, which is rediculas, but was free. My issue I think is that the ET and all that jazz is not comparable with my Super for driving, so has me on this band wagon... RB
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: German Lookers Porsche Lug Pattern Spares? Reply with quote

I am running 15x5.5 porsche steels on my psuedo outlaw '74 Super. I have 944 rear brakes and essentially 944 fronts. I have a disc brake 912 wheel center rebanded to a 3.5 outter(the original 4.5 outer was rusted through in places...I had intended to use it as it was) and I'm running a correct sized temporary tire on it.

With Boxster brakes, you'll need a minimum of a 16 inch wheel. There is a 16x5.5 alloy spare available with a collapsible tire, but they're a bit rare so finding one will be $$. You're best bet would be one of the abundantly available Boxster spares. At least you'd be certain it would fit over your brakes. They do not use a collapsible tire. They tend to be relatively inexpensive.

Edit: I see you said Boxster wheels...not brakes. That opens some doors. 944 steel spares are fairly common. They are 15x5.5. There's also the nice alloy ones from 944t or 928. They are also 15x5.5 and weigh far less than the steels. As was stated above, they are stupid expensive for what they are, but if you find a good deal, worth it. Both of these will fit over the commonly available brake kits.

H2OSB
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: German Lookers Porsche Lug Pattern Spares? Reply with quote

RailBoy wrote:
BeetleNut, I take it you run a Super? Yea, looks like a nice fit, currently I have a 928 Tire, which is rediculas, but was free. My issue I think is that the ET and all that jazz is not comparable with my Super for driving, so has me on this band wagon... RB

It's a 74 Super. I bought the spare out of the car I got my turbo twists off. It's a 17" spare and easily fits over the disk brakes on the front and rear. It was a last minute decision when the guy at the salvage yard asked me what I was going to do for a spare? I hadn't thought about it until then. Embarassed He opened up the front hood on the 944 and said here's one. It wasn't cheap though, but I only needed one, so I thought I'd do it right.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: German Lookers Porsche Lug Pattern Spares? Reply with quote

Think for the replays guys... I am going to look for both 928 and 944 spares, but yes, 16" dia. is perfered, and by the way which car is that, lol..? My Boxster Wheels are 16", and yes, running a Topline Kit with Disk F&R and have no issues with 16".. RB
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: