Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fleet_maintenance
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

It was awesome watching the original thread unfold, problems encountered, problems surmounted. One of my favorite internet build threads. Thanks for that, and thanks for "reformatting" the information into this thread! Hope all is going well, Andrew.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

Wow, I love this write-up! So, the chain stays on track even though the idler doesn't have teeth...?

Hans
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

Hey, Thanks for the comments guys. Glad to see it's appreciated.

Hdenter- Yes, the chain does fine on that idler without teeth on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

I'll add I find the power of the 1.8T most appreciated on the short steel hills that are prevalent in parts of the North East into Quebec.
(In VT and Quebec there are plenty of 14-18% grades - Dan from Syracuse knows!)

Last trip from my flat coastal town through the hills of CT into Western MA and finally into Andrew's shop in Eastern NY, it was really appreciated. It would have been endless shifting with the WBX'er, instead I could just power up each hill and with the 5-speed, not worry about taxing the transmission either. I think I appreciated the drive train most that day.

Unfortunately, personal reasons kept me from using the van much this 1st year with the CCW 1.8T, but I'll have some time free in 2019 to do so! Quebec, here I come!
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

I appreciate the drivetrain package every time I get behind the wheel. The overall combination is that good.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I updated the piston section, valve timing will be next.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

Pretty cool, Andrew! It's very generous of you to share these details of your epic creation with the community. I'm still a big fan of this configuration, and I'm glad to hear they are working out well for people.
racebiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

I followed the original thread from the start and it is very much appreciated how you willingly share the information.

As they say 'It takes a pioneer to discover it but a gentleman to share it'

This thread will i'm sure be equally as good and will follow as it evolves.

I personally went the TDI flipped passat gearbox route with a mapped PD 130 which has all the power I need with reasonable economy. However I'm very tempted to convert a 06A block just for the experience if nothing else !!

Thank you again Andrew for sharing Very Happy
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

I find this conversion fascinating! I'm curious as to why the Piston skirt would need clearancing. I understand the top needing it because the orientation of the a valve opening now with the piston going up towards it as opposed the piston dropping away before. But, does the skirt swing or move that differently at the bottom of the stroke from one direction to the other?

Hans
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

hdenter wrote:
I find this conversion fascinating! I'm curious as to why the Piston skirt would need clearancing. I understand the top needing it because the orientation of the a valve opening now with the piston going up towards it as opposed the piston dropping away before. But, does the skirt swing or move that differently at the bottom of the stroke from one direction to the other?

Hans

These engines have piston squirters, a small nozzle that sprays oil onto the skirt to cool the pistons. You need that little notch to clear it or else the piston will hit it when it's all the way down.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

now timing chain, timing belt, and coolant pump info has been added, check out page one.

Andrew-
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing with everyone. A classy guy with the classy post.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing with everyone. A classy guy with the classy post.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
air-ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

Thanks so much for this Andrew, it is awesome that you are sharing your hard work!

I have an ATW engine sitting in my garage and have been on the fence as to what type of conversion to do. I feel I can go forward on the reverse path, now that you have shown how to adjust the camshafts.

Sean
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

air-ride wrote:
Thanks so much for this Andrew, it is awesome that you are sharing your hard work!

I have an ATW engine sitting in my garage and have been on the fence as to what type of conversion to do. I feel I can go forward on the reverse path, now that you have shown how to adjust the camshafts.

Sean

The ATW is basically the same basic engine as the AEB, you can use the piston mod, starter mod, wiring harness mod, crank toner ring mod, and timing chain setting as I have shown here, the timing belt, coolant pump, and oil pump are done differently on these engines. You can find some tricks on correcting them on the original CCW 1.8t thread.

Andrew-

Thanks for the comments guys, glad to see some are taking notes here.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

new info posted on the accessories and serp belt, check it out.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

Sean, if you're around the Portland area I could show you in a hands-on way how the AEB/ATW oil pump and water pump are done. I've even got 2/3 of the parts needed for the oil pump correction on-hand.
air-ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
Sean, if you're around the Portland area I could show you in a hands-on way how the AEB/ATW oil pump and water pump are done. I've even got 2/3 of the parts needed for the oil pump correction on-hand.

That would be great but I'm in the Seattle area. I'll send you a PM.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

Starter info is now completed, check it out.

Andrew-
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

xoo00oox wrote:
Starter info is now completed, check it out.
Andrew-

OK -Aluminum "nose" is from Passat, motor from the ABA. But the Solenoid is from the Passat starter-correct?

Think it's worth building one up to have a ready spare - at least to carry on long trips?
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: