Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

foodeater wrote:
This might be way off, but would the pump really need to run in reverse, or would you be able to keep the pump running forward, but change the sequence of the fuel lines, by moving them around on the output side of the pump, or changing which injector the line would go to?

Im just spouting a guess here, but i would think of it like putting the passat trans or the Subaru trans in a van....5 reverse gears and one forward gear.

4 inlets and one outlet.

Among other things like a one way valve and other such things...i really haven’t studied the design at all or how it works.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

foodeater wrote:
This might be way off, but would the pump really need to run in reverse, or would you be able to keep the pump running forward, but change the sequence of the fuel lines, by moving them around on the output side of the pump, or changing which injector the line would go to?

That's an interesting thought. I believe switching the lines would eliminate the need for a CCW high pressure plunger head assembly (at the cost of custom/bent fuel lines), but the dynamic advance would still need to be reversed (drilled case, flipped advance piston/spring).

This appears to be a correct CCW rotating pump.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Freelander-0...rk:60:pf:0
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

So 2.5 pages later...

When are we gonna make a thread for reversing the TDI? Laughing

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
So 2.5 pages later...

When are we gonna make a thread for reversing the TDI? Laughing

I think that is a good idea so this thread stays for the 1.8TCCW/

Can the moderators, move some posts and make a new thread?
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

Move this one too...

Could you use a pump from a 2.5 TDI, since I believe they're CCW. Then swap out the five cyl. head and cam plate for a four cyl.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

Noob question, CCW?
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

ndorian wrote:
Noob question, CCW?

Counter clockwise. Enjoy the magic:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=551286
Some people call him Maurice...
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Move this one too...

Could you use a pump from a 2.5 TDI, since I believe they're CCW. Then swap out the five cyl. head and cam plate for a four cyl.

I'm not specifically familiar with the 2.5 5-cyl pump but I would assume, yes, but again I think it's less than ideal. You'd still either need to source a CCW plunger/head assembly or else switch which metal line connected to which delivery valve/injector. Also, not just the plunger head would need to be swapped. You'd also need to swap the camplate, rollers, roller cage as those are also different between the 4 cyl and 5 cyl.

I think the freelander pump I linked previously would be a lot easier of an option. It appears to be a 10mm plunger/head, CCW rotating, full electronic pump. It could probably be swapped right in to run the ALH CCW.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

Ok, thanks ledogboy. Way beyond myself.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Move this one too...

At that point id just source a 5 cyl. The whole engine ...yeah hard to find but if it already rotates the right way...

206-841-7324
[email protected]
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Move this one too...

At that point id just source a 5 cyl. The whole engine ...yeah hard to find but if it already rotates the right way...

The 5cyl engine still turns clockwise, the fuel pump is driven from the other side of the cam so it turns counterclockwise if your looking at the pulley.
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A6-Allroad-C5-2-7t...:rk:2:pf:0

This listing is for the super rare low range gearbox full conversion kit which is in fully working order. This is from a 2001 Audi A6 C5 allroad 2.7t

Parts included are

Gearbox with low range shift stage
Gearbox mounts
Propshaft (rear section is damaged see pics)
Drive shafts
Rear diff with matching ratios
Hydraulic pump and lines for low range selection
Low range ECU and wiring
Gearstick and selector mech with low range button
Hydraulic fluid reservoir

Located in central Scotland, shipping will be very expensive however I will stick it all on a pallet if required at buyers expense. Alternatively and preferably local collection is available.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

You're a bad, bad man Mr. Flint. Now I'm eyeballing 6-speeds, trying to see if they'll fit in a Bay without hacking the torsion housing or having silly CV angles.
bu600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a question,because in Germany is it difficult to change the Engine in the Vehicle Papers because of exhaust laws...
Have anyone ever make a exhaust test with your reverse 1,8T?
Is the exhaust composition the same as the normal direction 1,8T?

Greetings

Christian (from Germany)
pechaaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

I cant express my gratitute in words!
Will prepare for this and do full build next winter.

Question- can I use VVT engine?
Just want to double confirm that.

BAM 225HP
forged crank
small port
VVT
K04
electronic throttle
20MM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

pechaaa wrote:
I cant express my gratitute in words!
Will prepare for this and do full build next winter.

Question- can I use VVT engine?
Just want to double confirm that.

BAM 225HP
forged crank
small port
VVT
K04
electronic throttle
20MM

Yes, the cam chain tensioner I have noted (#078109087F) is for use with VVT.
pechaaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

Have you tried to do it with early 058 block?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

pechaaa wrote:

yes......

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=551286&highlight=the+1.8t+backward

The first were based on the 058 block.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

Oh yes, that's where it all started.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=551286

pechaaa wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pechaaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Step by step: How to reverse the rotation of a 1.8T (06A block) Reply with quote

As my friend heard about my plan to reverse engine- made a suprise and got me a present- 058 and gearbox (as he works at wreckers).

Will reverse this winter.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: