Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas tank for 86-92 2WD Vanagon saga
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Gas tank for 86-92 2WD Vanagon saga Reply with quote

around 8 years ago i replaced my gas tank in my 1990 vw vanagon and today iwas having a gas leak so i pulled tank and found that is was from several thngs , a rust hole in the tank in the middle u shape , a bad crossover hose that deteriorated probably due to ethanol and critter chewing. the vapor seal hose that runs from external metal tubing that runs along tank was deteriorated or chewed. all grommets and seals were good and most of fittings were good and level sender was good and seal was good.

who can help me find a tank that can out last the rubber seals. what is the best replacement tank ? or should i have a custom tank made of aluminum or ss? this aftermarket stuff is not designed to last and needs replaced to often.
any vendor or custom vendor suggestions are welcome or should this be a diy project
1990 vw automatic camper
westydriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: gas tank for 86-92 2wd vanagon saga Reply with quote

Just ordered one from Van Cafe. Keep ya posted. This will be my "second" one as the "first" was lost in the mail. How the heck do you lose a fuel tank. Regardless, the folks at Van Cafe were very helpful t/o the tracking and investigative process.
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas tank for 86-92 2WD Vanagon saga Reply with quote

It is too bad new replacement parts are not as good as the originals.
In this case I would consider getting a new tank treated.
Look in to your local radiator shop and see what they can do for you.
Exterior wise I would consider a high quality paint to help protect the metal from rusting.
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Gas tank for 86-92 2WD Vanagon saga Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:
It is too bad new replacement parts are not as good as the originals.
In this case I would consider getting a new tank treated.
Look in to your local radiator shop and see what they can do for you.
Exterior wise I would consider a high quality paint to help protect the metal from rusting.

not only are the parts not as good but i think they are intentionally made to fail quicker to maintain the constant need for replacement parts. seems like a short term solution for a business and will probably fail in the long run.
1990 vw automatic camper
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: