Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ianNJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

Anyone? I can't find info... wishfully thinking is that maybe they dont have a ton of problems? so no news is good news?

90 GL Frankenstine w/Boxeer 2.0 TDI CR, Peloquin TBD
RIP - 2003 Eurovan

Instagram @ian.Surfside

*if you known someone that struggles with addiction let me know.

Last edited by ianNJ on Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: boxeer engine review?? Reply with quote

This is a bit like making a post to a Bible Forum

“Who is Jesus”

Put some preamble about what information you seek and why or you will just get crickets
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: boxeer engine review?? Reply with quote

https://www.boxeer.com/

Diesel engine conversons, first with Subaru diesel engine, now VW diesel.
ianNJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: boxeer engine review?? Reply with quote

I want to know if anyone on here has one and what their experience is. I have looked and can’t seem to find anything.

I posted a month ago about an engine swap and am heavily considering a boxeer TDI.

RIP - 2003 Eurovan

Instagram @ian.Surfside

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GDTRFB>
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: boxeer engine review?? Reply with quote

I am interested in more information as well. Other than the Boxeer site and Instagram pictures there is not a lot of information flowing. I have emailed Greg a couple times in regards to filtering of fuel and gear ratios but wanted to hear about real world experiences with the conversion. I am about to start a Syncro Westy build that will take me at a minimum through South America but most likely further. Id like to know more about parts availability, air filtering, exhaust issues, turbo oiling issues, wiring, tuning, etc. Instagram pics are great but without hearing of real world experience its hard to get an idea of where it stands.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: boxeer engine review?? Reply with quote

I don't have the experience you seek, but have run a TDI that I converted to. The electronics have proved reliable and if I have a problem in North America repair parts are available through the VW dealer network including engine electronics. It's my design, so I'm comfortable if I need to troubleshoot a problem. If I were going to South America, I might consider converting to a strictly mechanical system. Less parts to fail.

From what builds I have followed, the VW TDI used by the convertor you asked about is using a customized standalone engine management system to run the CR engine. So, if you had a problem you'd have only one person that could help you. That could be a problem. Get to South America and help is even further away.

Again I have no experience with his products and base my post based only on what information I've been able to read. There was a thread where a Samba member had one of these engines installed and was a world traveler I believe. If you can find the thread, you could message the member and ask how happy he is. The thread sort of faded without any final driving impressions. Good luck, TDI power is what the vanagon needed.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: boxeer engine review?? Reply with quote

Aidan and Greg.Mills both run the boxeer in their vans. IG handles are aidan.klimenko and greg.mills.

I met Grégoire at Overland expo. Super awesome guy and he gave me a quick run down on his engine. Super awesome and friendly guy. If you can make the trip out to Nashville I'm sure it would be worth it.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: boxeer engine review?? Reply with quote

Here's a full Syncro Westy build with one of their engines:

https://kustomcoachwerks.com/Forums/Thread/ultimate-vanagon/

EDIT: This is for the Subaru diesel, not VW.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com

Last edited by joetiger on Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: boxeer engine review?? Reply with quote

I'm sure he'll chime in but Greg is excellent with communication. Call him or even better, go see him in Nashville!
ianNJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: boxeer engine review?? Reply with quote

Yeah...trying to have a call. We exchanged some emails. But I need to talk it through.

RIP - 2003 Eurovan

Instagram @ian.Surfside

vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: boxeer engine review?? Reply with quote

I believe he just started doing these (VW, not the Suby boxer ones that is) , so that's probably why there is not a lot of info on "da web" yet.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: boxeer engine review?? Reply with quote

There's a guy here who had one of those offbrand diesels in his Syncro, but he pulled it in favor of a 1.8t. Not a "glowing" endorsement--bah dum tish!

I'm here till Thursday. Try the veal!

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer engine review?? Reply with quote

Parts availability on a non north american motor is an issue that I have heard.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer engine review?? Reply with quote

First of all, I'm blown away by what boxeer is producing and it'd be on my very short list if I had the $$. If it's what you want , GO FOR IT and know my next comment in no way takes away from boxeer's work.

Secondly, though, OP- you're in NJ. Maine is a lot closer than TN. Why not FAS and their TDI kit? It's pretty dream-tastic too.
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer engine review?? Reply with quote

I have a Subaru EE-20 from Greg. Its in place but waiting on some other things to be fixed before I fire it up. Working with Greg has been great. He will be there for you after the sale if needed. Its a good company you can trust.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: boxeer engine review?? Reply with quote

GDTRFB> wrote:
I am about to start a Syncro Westy build that will take me at a minimum through South America but most likely further.

Resist the urge to "over-engine" especially going far from home. Pick some "max" like 130 HP? 130 is too much as well, but 90HP being too little, what can you do? Actually 90 HP would be fine for RTW tour but its not about logic, cuz there is no logic in choosing a valuable 30-yr old antique for RTW travel. Logical is usually "less fun." Wink

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer engine review?? Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:

Secondly, though, OP- you're in NJ. Maine is a lot closer than TN. Why not FAS and their TDI kit? It's pretty dream-tastic too.

107 HP from FAS vs +150 HP from BOXXER for the same price... Hummm…. Not sure its a apples to apples sort of comparison.

O.P. You will need a Subaru Gears trans for this conversion. Even 107 HP diesel engines will eat up a stock VW trans or a rebuilt/ Regeared VW trans.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
ianNJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer engine review?? Reply with quote

[quote="0cean"]
mikemtnbike wrote:

O.P. You will need a Subaru Gears trans for this conversion. Even 107 HP diesel engines will eat up a stock VW trans or a rebuilt/ Regeared VW trans.

Greg from Boxeer said that stock should be find but he would recommend a taller 3rd and 4th.

RIP - 2003 Eurovan

Instagram @ian.Surfside

elnatron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer engine review?? Reply with quote

I have a Boxeer CR 2.0! I’m driving it to Mexico from Maine as we speak. She chugs right along, pulls up hills at 70mph and consistently gets 26-27mpg. I got 29mpg in the summer.

I am working closely with Greg to give him every bit of feedback possible. He takes his engines very seriously and is constantly looking to improve his product in any way possible. I personally believe this is the best TDI option out there!

Feel free to ask me what you want to know
ianNJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer engine review?? Reply with quote

elnatron wrote:
I have a Boxeer CR 2.0! I’m driving it to Mexico from Maine as we speak. She chugs right along, pulls up hills at 70mph and consistently gets 26-27mpg. I got 29mpg in the summer.

I am working closely with Greg to give him every bit of feedback possible. He takes his engines very seriously and is constantly looking to improve his product in any way possible. I personally believe this is the best TDI option out there!

Feel free to ask me what you want to know

This is exactly what I need to know! I spoke with another guy today who is doing all of South America with his....I dont trust driving my current WBX an hour from home.

Anything you could share would be good...how many miles on it, did you do anything with the trans?

RIP - 2003 Eurovan

Instagram @ian.Surfside

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: