Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

Wow! That setup looks great! Can you mount the Vanagon OEM air conditioning compressor and power steering pump on this, or does it require more modern components/configurations?

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

I really like that new front engine mount set up.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
syncrogreg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I really like that new front engine mount set up.

Me too I'm in love! When I got into the PDK stuff I realized that Porsche was attaching the engine that way!

It makes for a great triangulation and extremely stable engine. Sitting on hydraulic filled engine mounts! This thing drives smoother than ever!

travel pictures:
http://instagram.com/crepeattack/

- the Pastis build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=434656&highlight=subaru+diesel
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

What do people do with all that engine bay clearance?
syncrogreg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

ProspectiveOwnergon wrote:

Access for oil change super easy and plenty of room. Be able to access something if needed. Have clear and clean picture of wiring . Be able to put massive air filter of wanted. Endless possibilities but great ones Wink

travel pictures:

- the Pastis build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=434656&highlight=subaru+diesel
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

syncrogreg wrote:
ProspectiveOwnergon wrote:

Access for oil change super easy and plenty of room. Be able to access something if needed. Have clear and clean picture of wiring . Be able to put massive air filter of wanted. Endless possibilities but great ones Wink

Figured that, but wasn't sure! Smile

With the airbox delete I akash's saw that area as a huge compartment for something. Easiest access is always epic!
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

Not sure if this has been posted, and if this isn't the correct manual please advise, but here's the VW
" Self Study Program 820433 The EA288 Diesel Engine Family Design and Function " PDF:

http://pics3.tdiclub.com/data/517/820433_EA288.pdf

It sure sheds light on just how much work is required to adapt this engine to an older vehicle like the Vanagon.

I found the balance shafts interesting; I was curious how VW reduced or eliminated engine vibrations.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Not sure if this has been posted, and if this isn't the correct manual please advise, but here's the VW
" Self Study Program 820433 The EA288 Diesel Engine Family Design and Function " PDF:

It sure sheds light on just how much work is required to adapt this engine to an older vehicle like the Vanagon.

I found the balance shafts interesting; I was curious how VW reduced or eliminated engine vibrations.

Neil.

My dad has a 2015 MK7 TDI Golf with this engine, and it is phenomenal. The refinement, power delivery, and fuel economy are in a different league than earlier generation TDIs. The prospect of being able to have this same engine in a Vanagon running the factory ecu is intriguing. Very interested in seeing one of these conversions take shape.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:

My dad has a 2015 MK7 TDI Golf with this engine, and it is phenomenal. The refinement, power delivery, and fuel economy are in a different league than earlier generation TDIs. The prospect of being able to have this same engine in a Vanagon running the factory ecu is intriguing. Very interested in seeing one of these conversions take shape.

My engine design knowledge is quite limited but its a pretty fascinating engine; VW packed quite a lot into a small package. The "modular" design might be a boon in terms of adaptation for the conversion or adaptation to different markets as emissions standards may demand? Anyhow, pretty cool to see something so "modern" in a Vanagon.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
human compass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

I have a syncro with a 6 speed suby transmission, final drive is 4:86. It's currently got a suby 2.5. I have found this lacking in torque for any moderate steep offroading. Since I wont be changing back to a syncro trans as it's an overlander, not a rock crawler, I'm looking for something with gobs of low end. This conversion seems to have roughly the same torque as an SVX. Can it be tuned to have higher torque safely?

thanks!
syncrogreg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

This new ea288 with stock OEM ECU has lots of torque. You can let go of the pedal at idle and it will crawl with strength. We have a 10% over stock tune if you want that's fun.

travel pictures:

human compass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

syncrogreg wrote:
This new ea288 with stock OEM ECU has lots of torque. You can let go of the pedal at idle and it will crawl with strength. We have a 10% over stock tune if you want that's fun.

very cool. and you think this would be the case with my 5000 lb syncro with tall tires and no granny?
syncrogreg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

human compass wrote:
syncrogreg wrote:

very cool. and you think this would be the case with my 5000 lb syncro with tall tires and no granny?

I have a 6000lbs Syncro westy and 4.86 rp it does pretty good in 1st. Def better than any gasoline

travel pictures:

human compass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

syncrogreg wrote:
human compass wrote:
syncrogreg wrote:

I have a 6000lbs Syncro westy and 4.86 rp it does pretty good in 1st. Def better than any gasoline

super interested. been doing any upgraded injectors and turbos? the potential on these engines seems endless.
mjshira
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Boxeer engine 2.0 TDI CR review?? Reply with quote

ianNJ wrote:
New (rebuilt) trans by Matt Steedle being sent to Nashville for the last portions of the Boxeer 2.0 TDI CR conversion!!!

091/1 2wd build:
Has new aluminum case, bell housing, and gear carrier.
New Peloquin diff ATB
New GT brand 3rd and 4th gears.
New 4.57 ring and pinion, all new bearings, syncros, seals.
New slider and hub assemblies, chromoly pinion nut, new input shaft and HD clutch shaft.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Beautiful gearbox
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

Is the new 2.0 TDI Boxeer kit only for manual transmission Vanagons, or can it be installed to an automatic transmission? If it can be used with an automatic, was a new flex plate included, or did you have to source your own?

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
jimehat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

I too am interested in the Boxeer upgrade. I have a few concerns that don't seem to have been resolved:

1. starting in cold temperatures - it's cold and snowy in Utah 6 months out of the year
2. Ongoing support - it sounds like the only support available is from whoever installs the engine. This is very concerning considering someone is spending 15-20K and on their own once receiving the kit. And the Boxeer kit having a proprietary ECU flash.
3. Is there any consideration of installing an OBDII port so that when support is needed a local mechanic can investigate and understand the programming in the ECU

Hoping someone can shine some light on these concerns as their is very little information online regardingthis upgrade.
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

jimehat wrote:
I too am interested in the Boxeer upgrade. I have a few concerns that don't seem to have been resolved:

1. starting in cold temperatures - it's cold and snowy in Utah 6 months out of the year
2. Ongoing support - it sounds like the only support available is from whoever installs the engine. This is very concerning considering someone is spending 15-20K and on their own once receiving the kit. And the Boxeer kit having a proprietary ECU flash.
3. Is there any consideration of installing an OBDII port so that when support is needed a local mechanic can investigate and understand the programming in the ECU

Hoping someone can shine some light on these concerns as their is very little information online regardingthis upgrade.

I can say support is not an issue. I've had my conversion for years now and Greg is still helping me out if I have any questions or need anything. I wouldn't worry about him being a " well its sold, not my problem anymore type" Greg's not that kind of guy.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
human compass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

I dont think his integrity is in question, but we are worried about what happens if there is a programing issue?? send the ecu back? will he be able to equip installation centers with diagnostic and reprogramming ability (ideal). a bit of infrastructure would certainly make this even more amazing than it already is.
VikingWagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Boxeer.com 2.0 TDI CR engine review thread Reply with quote

I am seriously considering a Boxeer conversion for my syncro westy after looking at all of the alternatives over the past 15 years. Still running the original 2.1L WBX with nearly 200k miles and it runs perfect and burns no oil. That said, I would rather upgrade preemptively as opposed to breaking down on the back roads and look forward to a wee bit more power to get up the hills. I plan on having the transaxle and front diff rebuilt with upgrades as they have about 75k miles on them. The cooling system has been redone with new radiator, hoses, SS junction, SS pipes.

What other things do you recommend to be done during the swap? Fuel tank seals, sender, hoses? I occasionally smell gas fumes near the rear, so I suspect bad tank grommets. New Porsche 930 CV’s? Change transaxle gearing and go for bigger tire/wheel combo? I’m running 15” Rheins with 205-65r15 Nokian WRC3 tires now, but would consider going to bigger 205-75r15 for a bit more clearance. That size really was a bad match with the WBX’r and OEM gearing, but doable for TDI/custom gear setup. What about plumbing the intake to the snorkle? Not a fan of K&N sucking dust in the engine bay. Snorkle and sand trap work well for me. What am I missing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 13

Jump to: