Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear wheel brake cylinder
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
metoooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 1:26 am    Post subject: Rear wheel brake cylinder Reply with quote

Hi.

I need to replace the rear brake cylinders in my 65' Type34.

I've ordered new set using the part number 311611067c.

When I've got the new cylinders I've compared them to the old ones and found that the bleeding nipple location is not the same.

I think they send me a super beetle cylinders.

Can I still use them or should I send them back?

Here is a pic of the cylinders. old on the left, new on the right
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EasternNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel brake cylinder Reply with quote

I suggest send it back. The part# you posted is right but the port config on that is wrong. I believe they share with super beetle front but not sure how that would work

-Lucas
1969 Fastback
1989 Doka AFN TDI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel brake cylinder Reply with quote

The super beetle uses the Variant/Squareback wheel cylinders 361611067A

That one you got should be OK. It really doesn't matter that much where the bleeder is. The location at the top is probably even better because the air rises to the top.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel brake cylinder Reply with quote

Little known Squareback fact:

The rear wheel cylinders on the '64-'65 are the ones with the 361 part number, which were later used as front wheel cylinders on Super Beetles. They are different from the '64-'65 Notchback wheel cylinders which had a 311 part number.

The 361 Squareback wheel cylinders are larger bore diameter than Notchback rear wheel cylinders. I think about 1 mm difference.

Either one will fit but you should used the Squareback/Super Beetle ones because they are bigger and more braking is better. Very Happy
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel brake cylinder Reply with quote

I agree, use the Squareback wheel cylinders. That's what I did on my 64 T-34. What's nice about using the 66 parts is availability, as the 66 Squareback was imported into the USA. This means parts can be had/ordered from any good auto parts store.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel brake cylinder Reply with quote

bob you just reminded me, it was in '66, when the Type 3 started getting disc brakes up front as standard, that the rear wheel cylinders on all models reverted to the smaller 22mm bore 311 part number.

But for '64-'65 when the Type 3 still had drum brakes up front, the Squareback had the larger 361 part number rear wheel cylinders - I think ~23mm bore.
metoooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel brake cylinder Reply with quote

Thank you all for the replies.

I will not use them 'cause it will be almost impossible to blead them when the bleadder is upside down.

I will keep looking for the correct cylinders.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel brake cylinder Reply with quote

lot's of results come up when googling 311611067C
metoooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Rear wheel brake cylinder Reply with quote

I've finally found the correct part:

https://aapistons.com/products/wheel-cylinder-type-3-66-73-rear-left-or-right

As arrived, I've checked it and it has the correct size - 22mm and the correct bleeder location.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: