Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1972 1200 beetle build still not sure what to do
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jackrobbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: 1972 1200 beetle build still not sure what to do Reply with quote

Finally had the beetle delivered today, you may have seen my previous posts with regards to ease of transforming back to a bug.

I have now had it sat in the garage and gave it a good jetwash and now I’m really not sure wether I want a baja or a bug. What are your opinions on both? I know what I want is a cal looker with a pretty wacky paint job and a nice 1914cc engine or similar. However I can’t stop thinking how cool it would be to have a baja as they are rare over here in the 🇬🇧 UK

This is my first beetle and I’ve wanted one for as long as I can remember!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the T25 I restored to a reasonable condition this summer it only took me 60 days but I wanted to use the van where as I want to take my time and do a very very good job of this beetle. For anyone interested in the van instagram Lenny_the_t25

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 1200 beetle build still not sure what to do Reply with quote

I like the color of your Vanagon. That looks good!

The Baja fiberglass pieces have been bonded to the body so I wonder whether the Baja kit can be saved or not when it is removed. Take your time in cutting that bond in order to leave the fiberglass intact when it is taken off the body. See if the fender bolts are under there or have those holes for mounting the fender been filled-in some how?

Whether it is a Baja or a Cal looker you will want your fenders bolted on as there is some flex allowed that way. You can see where some cracking has developed in the seams where the fiberglass fenders meet the body because they will flex at that seam.

If it was me, I might be tempted to build it as a mild Baja for the street or light off-roading as that would save a ton of very difficult body work in locating, attaching and aligning front and rear clips.

There is no wrong way to go, as bugs are fun in any configuration.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 1200 beetle build still not sure what to do Reply with quote

Just build it as a baja. If you want a full bodied car, start with a full body. The expense and work involved reclipping that car would be better off spent starting with a full car. Now, it can be done, and a few people have started with a baja and built beautiful cars. But the only time I would consider that if it was an early car.

The van looks awesome btw!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 1200 beetle build still not sure what to do Reply with quote

Dude! Just checked out your pics. What you did to that Vanagon is no small matter. Cool If that was a quick and dirty restoration, this will be an enjoyable build to follow. I am subscribed. Wish you could hop over the pond and attack the inside passenger seam rot in my Van like that.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 1200 beetle build still not sure what to do Reply with quote

That's a great looking baja. I would keep it as such Smile
Jackrobbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 1200 beetle build still not sure what to do Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
I like the color of your Vanagon. That looks good!

The Baja fiberglass pieces have been bonded to the body so I wonder whether the Baja kit can be saved or not when it is removed. Take your time in cutting that bond in order to leave the fiberglass intact when it is taken off the body. See if the fender bolts are under there or have those holes for mounting the fender been filled-in some how?

Whether it is a Baja or a Cal looker you will want your fenders bolted on as there is some flex allowed that way. You can see where some cracking has developed in the seams where the fiberglass fenders meet the body because they will flex at that seam.

If it was me, I might be tempted to build it as a mild Baja for the street or light off-roading as that would save a ton of very difficult body work in locating, attaching and aligning front and rear clips.

There is no wrong way to go, as bugs are fun in any configuration.

Yeah that’s right, they need to come off they are bolted but instead of the rubber joints seam seals they are fillered in I’m hoping I can cut the filler away and unbolt and wiggle off. But if I break one it’s going to be a pain to fix. I’m really not sure what to do.

My heart is set on a early front end and rear end early wings front and rear etc and maybe a rag top I know it will be a bit of a wrongun but it’ll be a wicked looking thing. However I literally never see bajas in the UK where as nice bugs are not so rare.

Thanks for the feedback on the van too. It’s the original L20B brilliant orange nice colour my favourite vw colour.
Jackrobbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 1200 beetle build still not sure what to do Reply with quote

Spent a couple of hours today carefully debaja-Ing the beetle very pleased with results no broken panels..

Still not sure what to do with it mind although seeing it bare again makes me really want a bug even more so I think it’ll be a another cal looker style beetle.

Went over a few bits with my shot blaster ran out of Ali shot though so if anyone can recommend me a good shot to use then I will be very appreciative!! Don’t want to blow holes in it but something fairly tough would be good!

Jackrobbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 1200 beetle build BAJA TO BUG Reply with quote

That’s it guys decided I want a bug not a baja so this is going back to factory-ish. Been struggling to find correct 1200 spares in the UK. But have this week managed to buy a variety of wings, deck lids and a bonnet. All are wrong except the deck lid but most I think I am going to make correct for the car.

The dash is going to be an issue don’t know if you can see in pics but it’s not there at all, thinking maybe a wooden one ? Or find a cut out?

The body is now off, ever seen a beetle on a pool table? Haha

Was a pain getting the body off due to some genius welding it to the pan in multiple places. One side of the pan is shot, drivers side so will be getting a repair.

Then sort that and adjustable beam points and shorter shocks? Sort out all the mechanics and then should be good to sort the body out I guess.

Jackrobbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 1200 beetle build still not sure what to do Reply with quote

Only baby steps but refurbished the master cylinder and also the pedal assembly not got a picture yet unfortunately..

Next steps, strip pan completely and replace driver side shot blast/clean up complete pan.

What paint have people used for the pan? Do people underbody seal it??

Once the beam is bare narrow 2, 3 or 4 inches? And fit adjusters. Will also be on drop spindles.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 1200 beetle build still not sure what to do Reply with quote

Jackrobbo wrote:

Went over a few bits with my shot blaster ran out of Ali shot though so if anyone can recommend me a good shot to use then I will be very appreciative!! Don’t want to blow holes in it but something fairly tough would be good!

Making some serious progress here!

I blast with play sand. Its for kids sandboxes, does not clump up (as long as it is kept very dry) and is practically free at the local hardware store at less than five USD for a 50 pound (US weight)/22.7 kg bag.

Plus I'll lay a tarp down to collect it, pour the spent sand through a scrap of window screen to filter it and then I use it again a second time.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 1200 beetle build still not sure what to do Reply with quote

Make it even cooler and do the Class 11 Style Baja Cool

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jackrobbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 1200 beetle build still not sure what to do Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Jackrobbo wrote:

I blast with play sand. Its for kids sandboxes, does not clump up (as long as it is kept very dry) and is practically free at the local hardware store at less than five USD for a 50 pound (US weight)/22.7 kg bag.

Plus I'll lay a tarp down to collect it, pour the spent sand through a scrap of window screen to filter it and then I use it again a second time.

Great idea hopefully will have a pot blaster shortly so will be able to get the pan bare. Will look into sand assume you take caustion with breathing ppe?
Jackrobbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 1200 beetle build still not sure what to do Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Make it even cooler and do the Class 11 Style Baja Cool

Yeahhhh, bajas are cool but not my thing this is going back to being a boring full bodied car.. Like everyone elses Rolling Eyes Wink
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 1200 beetle build still not sure what to do Reply with quote

Jackrobbo wrote:
Buggeee wrote:
Jackrobbo wrote:

Great idea hopefully will have a pot blaster shortly so will be able to get the pan bare. Will look into sand assume you take caustion with breathing ppe?

Absolutely full protective gear. My son and I each wear a true respirator mask, like for painting cars, when we sand blast. Those cost about 30 USD at the local Lowes or Home Depot hardware store. I like those because they have a rubber gasket around your nose and mouth rather than the paper masks that have a lot of air gaps letting some dust in. I have heard that sand dust (silica) is a real problem for your lungs, maybe causing permanent scarring, so we try to be as protected as possible. We also wear a full head cover, which is cotton fabric with a plastic window in it (which came with the blaster). With just a full face plastic safety shield I found that we still get sand in our eyes as the sand is blowing and bouncing around so we stick with the full head cover. I would think we should take those same precautions with whatever media we choose to blast with.

An old-time car guy in the neighborhood stopped by when I first fired it up.
I commented on the price of media and said he has always used play sand on the sheet metal.

Edit: We keep the blast moving around so the work area does not get hot, I saw a video where the guy warped a flat hood panel on a car, supposedly from the heat of blasting.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Jackrobbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 1200 beetle build still not sure what to do Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips and advice will hopefully get blasting next week.

This is where I’m upto so far,.

The plan here may be a tad unorthodox but basically I was cutting the rotten pan half out 3” from the edge so that I can then get in easierwith the chisel to get those spot welds off.

Beams off hmmm 4” or 2” definitely getting adjusters

Unfortunately the shift rod removal cover was missing not helped for rust may need a new pan head but will soon know.
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 1200 beetle build still not sure what to do Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
...I have heard that sand dust (silica) is a real problem for your lungs, maybe causing permanent scarring, so we try to be as protected as possible.

Yes, Buggeee speaks the truth (as always). Here is some information about the risks of breathing sand dust: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicosis

Some quotes from that article:
Wikipedia wrote:
Silicosis is a permanent disease with no cure.

...resulted in 46,000 deaths globally in 2013...

...caused by inhalation of crystalline silica dust, and is marked by inflammation and scarring in the form of nodular lesions in the upper lobes of the lungs.

...sandblasting was introduced in about 1904, ...significantly contributing to the increased prevalence of silicosis.

...signs and symptoms may not appear until years after exposure.

Jackrobbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 1200 beetle build still not sure what to do Reply with quote

Yeah I read abit more about it all, I’ve got respiratory gear. But will probably stick to some more suitable media. Not wanting to risk health. My second concern is that I want to be able to basically wash away the spent media
Jackrobbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 1200 beetle build still not sure what to do Reply with quote

We found a donor 73 1200 rolling shell!

Unfortunately most of it was pretty rotten floor pan completely gone etc. Heater channels no hope. But got a full set of wings, those who know know the 73 wings are different to the 72 as they have no horn grills but can be sorted as I was wanting bullet indicators there anyway and weld up the wing tops.

I’ve got a good dash now though and some good cuts for bits and bobs where mine was poor and a back end to work with to de baja. Unfortunately the front end had a 1300 valance welded on hmmm

Also had anyone had any success with removing a headliner in one piece? I got a perfect head liner with this car and want to use it to replace my ripped one? Possible? Or is it a cut the roof off and weld the newen on haha I hope not!

Need to work out some form of rolling frame to allow me access into the car for fabrication at a suitable height and roll it over the pan etc. Anyone had a similar idea?
Jackrobbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 1200 beetle build still not sure what to do Reply with quote

Jackrobbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 1200 beetle build still not sure what to do Reply with quote

Not been very active on here recently.. after being crazy busy with house renovations, other bits and bobs I’ve finally started working on the bug again!

Here’s some progress,

Beam narrowed 60mm, with adjusters.

1 new pan half, all been blasted and primed in anti corrosion raptor 2k primer.
Full pan sprayed in 2k raptor liner black.

Hoping to have it rolling within the next month.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: