Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Speedo Cable Issue
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Speedo Cable Issue Reply with quote

As part of the Small Car Performance Big Brake install I'm doing, I pulled a small cotter pin from the end of the driver side wheel bearing dust cap thinking that would free it. I then pulled off the cap, which broke the end off the cable. It had been JB welded on there and I didn't see it.

So I disconnected the cable at the speedo, and pulled a liitle with a pair of needle nosed pliers, thinking I could withdraw the cabe from the housng, but all that came off was this piece that appears cracked to me.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So I get under the van and see that the cable is in 2 sections; one goes from the wheel to a box next to the spare, and the othe half goes to the speedo.

Thinking I could just replace the cable on that lower half, I pulled moderately on the cable from the spindle side after disconnecting it from the box, but it does not want to come. If the cable/housing assembly is available, I could replace it easy enough since it's apart down to the spindle anyway, but I thoght I could just replace the cable.

As far as the upper section goes, the little white piece may have broken when I pulled it off the top of the cable, but on the other hand, there s some kind of red stuff in the plastic housing suggesting some PO glued it.

So what is my best move here? Just replace both halves including housings, and get a new dust cap since the old one is slathered with JB Weld?

Can the box be by-passed with a single cable/housing assembly?
I see that the vendors offer a single cable, and the dust cap/circlip.
What does the black box do, and is it a n issue to by pass it?
Thanks for any guidance on this.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedo Cable Issue Reply with quote

You can replace with a single cable -- all the black box is is a counter that triggers the O2 warning light every (I think) 30,000 miles. When that box trips the light you have to manually reset the box by pushing the inner shaft of a button on it using a thin shaft (I use a bamboo skewer).

No harm at all in bypassing it. I still have mine but push that button anytime I am near it as I do not want the red warning lighting up some evening in the middle of an all-night drive in the rain or some other inconvenient time.
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedo Cable Issue Reply with quote

Since both ends of the system appear buggered, using the single cable seems the best solution for me- thanks! The hardest part looks like it will be pulling the grommet out of the backing plate and re-installing the new......I have lots of cleanup to do back in there before I hang the new brakes on there anyway.
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedo Cable Issue Reply with quote

You have already spent enough time on this...just get a new cable for $20 and be done with this forever..

Smile

https://www.busdepot.com/251957803e
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedo Cable Issue Reply with quote

No need to pull the grommet. The new cable
should just slide
right in thru it IIRC.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: