Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dom777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I need advice if my engine looks right, I believe the oil pipe/s have been capped off?

Hi there. I am a new van owner of an 87 Westy Vanagon. It was a petrol converted to diesel and has a separate oil radiator. This is my first van and first diesel. Please be gentle...

I posted a photo of my engine for something unrelated to a different site (changing belts). I received a few comments that my crankcase ventilation has been capped off and this could cause problems? I could blow my engine seals? I am very concerned about this and am a little scared to drive the van. I have searched through the topics but not finding the answers. There seems to be lots of knowledgeable guys on here. Can you help please? Bear in mind I know precious little about diesels

My questions, I guess:

Where is the blank plate, I can't see it? Can you point it out on the photo?
Is this a dangerous modification?
Should I reinstall some pipework?
Should I do this before driving it?

I need the answers in simple terms.

I thank you in advance

Cheers

Dom
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

Pretty much dead center in the photo. It's the plate with the the allen bolts. I think the factory plumbing used a plastic pipe that connects that hole in the block to a hockey puck shaped breather on the valve cover. Hard to see that in the picture. That's the way it was on my old TDI. ID parts sells the pipe and the breather, but make sure your version of this motor actually used it.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

Because the AAZ lays on it's side in the Vanagon the crankcase ventilation is a bit different than when the engine is installed upright.

The "cap" they mentioned is barely visible as Igeo says (on the crankcase, above and to the left of the alternator in your picture) and was stock in this application.
Here is a picture of my old Syncro Tristar which I added the extra "stock" vent tubes onto, debatable whether it was a good idea, as the tube allows too much oil vapor (and droplets) to reach the valve cover. This overwhelms the puck on top of the valve cover and causes oil drips.

Your best bet is to leave it as is.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.

Last edited by MsTaboo on Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

You most certainly do have ventilation but it is not stock AAZ. The plastic tube comes up from the block-off and goes into the “hockey puck” oil separator like this (on the right):

Normally the drain pipe comes out the left side of the separator, but I have an additional ventilating system.

The stock AAZ hockey puck separator has trouble running in the Vanagon at 50º because it was intended to run flat. It gradually accumulates a puddle of oil at the bottom, then when you hit the power curve it will suddenly blow that puddle out the pipe. The vertical AAZ engine the separator drains the oil back into the top pan, but Vanagon drivers need to install extra ventilation to prevent the puddle from blowing out. The older your engine gets the more trouble this separator is, because of increased blowby.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

The circle is around the block-off plate. The block-off plate was used on the 1.6 engines, but the AAZ engines got the upgraded crankcase ventilation. The arrow points to location of the crank vent from the valve cover. Please post another picture of that area. If no puck is fitted at all, which is what it looks like, then you run a much higher risk of engine runaway which is where the engine revs uncontrollably by burning its engine oil as fuel. This can both result in dangerous driving conditions (uncontrollable full power) and also engine damage from uncontrollable engine RPMs if you happen to push the clutch in.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

I re-did my valve cover and brazed a cover for the stock puck location, I then made a new location that made the puck sit level, Then I ran a large hose to a catch bottle. Not sure if it helped as I have several leaks still, but I know with the catch bottle, it will never "run away"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

The stock method of running the crank vent to the intake results in lower pressure in the crankcase than running to a catch can. The difference is not huge, but I can see how even slightly higher crankcase pressure could result in more oil leaks.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
The stock method of running the crank vent to the intake results in lower pressure in the crankcase than running to a catch can. The difference is not huge, but I can see how even slightly higher crankcase pressure could result in more oil leaks.

Excellent point libby (as usual). However, trying to find a Goldilocks crankcase pressure can be difficult from what I have found so far. I tapped into my intake to try and alleviate that slight pressure, and ended up with a black coating of blow-by oil throughout my water-to air inter-cooler and turbo - a real mess.

Possibly I have too much blow-by to do this in the first place or the 1" diameter line I ran was too large. I'd love to find a good solution. Maybe a sealed catch can with a filter which would separate the oil from the air (like a real catch can) instead of a plastic bottle would help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

Shocked
Everyone stop!
You are all wrong!
I've had an AAZ for the last three years. I've had a VERY steep learning curve.
The plate you are asking about is STOCK, don't fuck with it! Your friend is WRONG.

Now, for the rest of you.

The puck on top of the motor works just fine. Mine is plumbed into the intake just before the turbo. The AAZ blows oil regardless. The valve cover wasn't designed to be laid over so far.
If you are able to examine a JX motor (the stock diesel motor), you will see the valve cover is bolted with 8 bolts around the perimeter. The AAZ only has three central bolts. With the hot oil pooling on the seam, the seal will always fail.
I'm currently trying to come up with a solution for that.

EDIT- Waldo nailed it.
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dom777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I'll get some more photos up. It will be nice to have reassurance.

Cheers

Dom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
The plate you are asking about is STOCK, don't fuck with it! Your friend is WRONG.

Negative. My AAZ came off of a 1994 German Jetta and it had the crankcase tube included.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

To be clear, the block-off plate was not fitted to the AAZ. A second tube was fitted that entered a second port on the AAZ hockey puck (pressure control valve). The same setup was used on the Mk3 TDI engines (AHU, 1Z, AFN). The block-off plate was fitted to the earlier 1.6 and 1.6TD engines.

The block-off plate is not an issue per se although the Mk3 crank vent is better.

Having a hockey puck fitted, either AAZ or 1.6TD IS a necessity IMO if you are running the crank vent to the intake.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
Team WorldTour wrote:

Negative. My AAZ came off of a 1994 German Jetta and it had the crankcase tube included.

Correct. YOUR motor came from a car that mounts the engine at 90° (±10°).
It had the extra breather already mounted.

I bought my motor from an engine builder (0 KM, turn key), and it came with the plate mounted. The stock JX had the plate on as well. It was explained to me at the time exactly what it was, while I had similar questions about it.
If you have this part, it's ok. If not, that's ok too. I just want to make clear that the advice about this plate is not correct. It will NOT damage the engine to leave it the f*%# alone.

I really wish Mr. Libby was still around. I'm sure he would teach us all a thing or two. Or if Waldi spoke up. He rebuilds these. (Hell, for the average German petrolhead, an AAZ is like an old Ford 289 motor!)
Again, my advice for the PO stands.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dom777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

Hi all. I have been out early to get some images of the engine. I can see all the areas discussed. So the engine does have a breather on the rocker cover, not from crankcase (as we knew). Do I leave this as is or introduce some breathing from crack to 'puck'. I have to mention, there is a small leak of no obvious origin, perhaps positive pressure in the crankcase is causing this?
In short, is it going to be an on-going hassle to fit new systems but better than leaving it OR leave as is and don't worry so much.

Thanks again for all the helpful advice!

[/img]
T3messie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

That hose clamp is designed to go around the metal strip beneath it. Otherwise it should be good to go with that kind of breather.

In my 1Y (1,9 D NA) conversion I got without that hockey puck, because before on my 1,6 NA there was none.
Why do only the turbo engines have that puck and is it a problem to have none on the 1Y?
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

Hey dom, from the pictures posted, your engine looks to be in good shape. Can you post a picture of the turbo/ intake side?
As I said, you will always have an oil leak. The valve cover gasket isn't up to the task of being tilted over at 50°.
There is a heat shield that needs to be over the exhaust manifold. I found an aftermarket one on eBay. This will cut down on the burning oil stink. The air hose between the turbo and intake needs to be inspected. Without the mentioned heat shield, you can expect failure from thermal damage.
I've replaced mine with an orange silicone one (again) from eBay.
Also, the other end of the breather hose (from the puck) should be plumbed into the intake hose between the air cleaner and the turbo. This provides a negative pressure in the engine, and helps with the oil leaks around the seals.
o-town
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

I have a Canadian market aaz with the breather tube coming out of the block where the original poster has the block off plate. I repositioned my hockey puck so that it sits flat, connecting to the block breather tube and valve cover breather, then over to the intake.

For the valve cover, a local VW diesel expert had me source a G60 valve cover and drill and tap the head to accept 8 studs around the perimeter to hold the valve cover on. To have a better valve cover seal than the standard AAZ set up. The cast g60 valve cover I have had to be internally clearanced a bit around the filler cap. I am going from 5 year old memories on this, pretty sure it is a g60 valve cover.
T3messie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

Here is my setup

Head shaped, drilled and tapped to accept the 1,6 valve cover.

Is the hockey puck built to sit horizontally?

Edit: Gnarlodius made it clear above, and now Isee, the JX cover is shaped to set the puck horizontal. I will refit the puck on my cover.
dom777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

As requested, I have taken some more photos. It's the best I can get this evening without removing the air filter housing (although I am sure that is not a big job?).. It looks like there is a a lot of splatter on the pipes. The leak on the floor has been coming from below the sump area on the opposite side, could the oil travel that far or is there a leak somewhere else? I don't have a ramp to have a good look underneath...
Thanks again for your help
Dom

Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

I would just emphasize my point that the crankcase up-pipe is essential for older engines that have more blowby. Without it, blowby escapes through the head gasket while picking up oil vapor through the narrow holes. The up-pipe gives a large path that doesn’t saturate the blowby with vapor. You may not notice a problem until you get chronic oil vapor blowing out the breather tube which if vented into your intake condenses in your turbo cold side and you start to lose manifold pressure. Considering the amount of work cleaning out the turbo you are better off solving the blowby problem before it starts.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: