Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

I hate it when people refute stuff with evidence. Wait..how do we know that the protractor used to measure the 50 degree tip is traceable to NIST? How do we know the disassembly pictures weren't made by the Fake Moonshot Team?

Well done, guys
dom777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

Nice one! This has been a tense couple of weeks for this very new Vanagon owner!
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

Today I modified my intake so I could route in the crankcase vent. My problems have only been appearing during highway travel and I haven't tested it yet.

With the engine running, I held my hand over the dipstick tube as I took the vent line on and off the intake. With it disconnected, I can feel a bit of air at the dipstick tube - connected, there is none.

I'll cross my fingers and take a long drive soon!
artacoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

I installed a new puck and made my own crankcase vent because I like cobbling together what I can with what I have on hand , I will likely add a catch can down the road but for now it feels like I have at least 3.25 % more power and the engine runs at least 2.86% quieter
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2.5 Subie
86 Doka
2.5 Subie
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

artacoma -

How was it vented before?

--

My current theory is that my own vent has been inadequate both because it was vented to the atmosphere and I used a hose with a too-small ID.

I've tried and failed to conclusively test my vacuum pump, which I know can create problems if there's a leak in the system.

Is it conceivable that a significant amount of crankcase pressure is from the turbo, pushing air past the turbo seals and into the drain?
dom777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

I have bought a pipe and new puck to accept it. I'll let you know how it goes.
How do you know that your can has 3% more power? Were you joking?
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

I would say your on the right track. Feeling a bit of air at the dipstick when it's idling is a sure sign of the vent requirement in my opinion. As for where it is coming from, my first guess would be intake air slipping past the piston rings on every compression stroke. Just imagine how much more there is when you're pushing an extra 10 psi into the engine when on boost - something you can't check in the garage unless you have a dyno Wink

As I mentioned earlier, my piston to cylinder clearances are on the edge (loose) My turbo can boost to 20 psi and the amount of oil leaks that show up after a hard run are significant.

Air could be pushing past the turbo oil seals and back to the block but it's doubtful as the 12 gaps in the piston rings are a much easier path. Besides, oil is being pumped through that small feed line - pretty tough to get air to fight its way through that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
artacoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

Quote:
artacoma -

How was it vented before?

The crankcase vent had a blockout plate , so it wasn't vented. The only vent was from the valve cover to the intake just ahead of the turbo. It appears this was a stock setup on early AAZ engines. My mod was to add the crankcase vent to the puck on the valve cover and from there to the intake , I think the vacuum draw from the intake is key for this to be efficient .

Quote:
I have bought a pipe and new puck to accept it. I'll let you know how it goes.
How do you know that your can has 3% more power? Were you joking?

Professionally tested by the seat of my pants Wink I'm just starting to learn about diesels and this mod seemed to make sense and made me feel like I understood my motor for at least 1 minute and 23 seconds Wink
2.5 Subie
86 Doka
2.5 Subie
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

artacoma wrote:
The crankcase vent had a blockout plate , so it wasn't vented. The only vent was from the valve cover to the intake just ahead of the turbo. It appears this was a stock setup on early AAZ engines.

Nope. That was not stock on any AAZ engines. It was stock on 1.6 and 1.6TD engines, though.
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

Gizmoman wrote:
I would say your on the right track. Feeling a bit of air at the dipstick when it's idling is a sure sign of the vent requirement in my opinion. As for where it is cf I were to give advice to someone just starting, I mighjt oming from, my first guess would be intake air slipping past the piston rings on every compression stroke. Just imagine how much more there is when you're pushing an extra 10 psi into the engine when on boost - something you can't check in the garage unless you have a dyno Wink

As I mentioned earlier, my piston to cylinder clearances are on the edge (loose) My turbo can boost to 20 psi and the amount of oil leaks that show up after a hard run are significant.

Air could be pushing past the turbo oil seals and back to the block but it's doubtful as the 12 gaps in the piston rings are a much easier path. Besides, oil is being pumped through that small feed line - pretty tough to get air to fight its way through that.

As always, thanks a lot for your help.

I've assumed my problems have been caused by piston blow-by. However, the strangest thing, that I just remembered, is that the first time oil was pushed out the dipstick tube was at idle, without an obvious cause, after having run the motor for a few thousand miles. Another time, at idle, I accidentally covered the vent hose (coming out of a catch can) - oil promptly splashed out of the dipstick tube. The catch can wasn't accumulating any oil (the puck was doing its job well), and I suspected it could be a problematic restriction, so I disconnected it. Since then, I've lost oil only during extended highway runs.

I'm sorry to be posting this again. I've told the story and asked for help a few times, but haven't succeeded in fixing the problem.

Anyway, I flogged the van a bit in the last two days, but haven't had an occasion for an extended highway run. No problems yet, but I won't be at all confident until I've maintained 60+ for over 15 minutes.

Every major component of my engine is either new or recently rebuilt, except for the block. I've got another probably rebuildable block that I'd like to sort out, regardless of the condition of the one I'm running.

Excuse me for the following aside about the AAZ swap generally:

It's really true what's sometimes said, that the really significant investment is the peripheral stuff involved in a swap. It's taken quite a while for me to build a good intake/exhaust/intercooler/turbo oil drain/ IP throttle cable bracket/and now CCV system -- not to mention stuff like starter and improved glow plug relays, modified alternator bracket that allows me to use a WBX alt (and adjustable voltage reg), good aircooled trans, improved coolant system, fresh wiring, etc etc etc

While the 1.6d to AAZ swap is basically simple, it takes a lot of work and money to build a system that works well! I have to remind myself that even if I'm not as far from needing a new shortblock as I'd like to think, that's really not such a big part of the cost involved in the whole thing.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

zuhandenheit:
You may want to read my earlier posts about the upgraded ventilation system. I arrived at this solution after two trips through the dynamometer in Denver and power driving up hills full boost with video cameras recording balloons over the vents. My conclusion was that the AAZ’s stock ventilation is fine for a Jetta but is inadequate when pushing the Vanagon. And I have a lightweight tintop, a Westy would be even heavier.

The ventilation mod is the easiest way to fix the problem. It uses cheap parts that are attached to the top cover and simply gives blowby three ways to get out of the engine.

I also modded the dipstick with a snap-on springy retainer after it kept on getting blown out and spitting oil. My engine seems to burn no oil and has good compression. Allegedly has about 130k miles on it and runs great. It just seems like the AAZ was designed for the Jetta and when working harder on the Vanagon it needs some extra design work.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

Very true about the "essentials" needed after the engine is built. I have to say though, even with the oil leaks, it's been an extremely reliable and satisfying build. I may just resort to a catch pan under the engine Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

Gnarlodious wrote:
The ventilation mod is the easiest way to fix the problem. It uses cheap parts that are attached to the top cover and simply gives blow-by three ways to get out of the engine.

Two, please. Lets not count the seals as an outlet....

Quote:
I also modded the dipstick with a snap-on springy retainer after it kept on getting blown out and spitting oil. My engine seems to burn no oil and has good compression. Allegedly has about 130k miles on it and runs great. It just seems like the AAZ was designed for the Jetta and when working harder on the Vanagon it needs some extra design work.

My dipstick is an old CB antenna, cut down to size. Nothing holding it in but the curve of the tube. I held a flame to my dipstick hole, and it drew into the tube. I was once brave enough to open my oil fill with the engine running. Oil did not come busting out.

Although, with the first AAZ (it was WELL used!), I plugged the vent hose with my thumb once. Oil came out the fill hole, past the cap. Quickly, and in a hurry too!
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
Gnarlodious wrote:
The ventilation mod is the easiest way to fix the problem. It uses cheap parts that are attached to the top cover and simply gives blow-by three ways to get out of the engine.

Two, please. Lets not count the seals as an outlet....

Three is correct for their setup. Two into the puck plus one that comes from around the oil filler and does not run through the puck. I wouldn't recommend that extra connection if running to the intake. If running to the intake ALL crank vent connections should run through the puck in order to avoid added risk of runaway. If not running to the intake, then likely more area of ventilation is needed as there is no negative pressure drawing the gases out.
dom777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

So, I've fitted the breather and new "puck". Not a difficult job (once I managed to undo the stubborn hex bolts that held the blanking plate)
I can now rest assured I've done some preventative maintenance at least Smile

Now to get on to the electrics!
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

...and thanks to your question, three more of us now have this mod too!
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
artacoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

So 4 days ago (100kms) i installed my catch can and had a look at today and it is full!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
My oil level isn't down by much but I don't think the new puck is diverting a drop , this can't be right, that just seems like way too much oil coming out of the top of the motor.
I think I'm going to plug the crack case vent I installed and reinstall the old puck and see how much collects in the can, damn .

2.5 Subie
86 Doka
2.5 Subie
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

That much oil in your catch can is certainly alarming. I get about a teaspoon in mine after 1,000 miles (1609.34 Kms) or so.

Any chance you are overfilling the block?

I have no idea what else could do that unless your rings or valve seals are shot. Hopefully Waldo will touch base and provide some answer.
artacoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

I just took off the puck and the hose coming from there crankcase is fairly dry, so I think its all coming from the valve cover, I only smoke on hard acceleration and that's black, I wonder if the puck is faulty or the addition of the crankcase vent to the system is allowing so much flow that the intake is vacuuming out the valve cover,
I just reinstalled the old puck and blocked off the cc vent , I never had a baseline for how much oil was getting through before , but with the catch can now I can see what's getting by. My gut feeling is that the vacuum from the intake is just too much.
2.5 Subie
86 Doka
2.5 Subie

Last edited by artacoma on Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: AAZ advice needed, oil breather etc Reply with quote

Are you running back to the intake after the catch can or venting to atmosphere?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: