Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with seat mounting/installation
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Help with seat mounting/installation Reply with quote

Hi all,

Restoring/refurbishing a pretty original Dune Runner circa 1970. The seats that were in it were an abomination mounted pretty high off the floor. Combined with the low sides of the DR and there was not much sense of security.

I sourced a pair of VW lowbacks (the original seat tracks are still there) and tried to put them in but the fold down lever on the lower outside hits the side of the tub. I cut off the offending tab and was able to get the seat bottom in, but then the seatback frame hits the side.

Has anyone here got VW low backs in theirs and did you have any problems like this getting them in? How did you overcome the problems if so?

All help appreciated.
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Help with seat mounting/installation Reply with quote

It just depends on the size of the dune buggy. Often Miata or Porsche 914 seats are a better solution.
tgodber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with seat mounting/installation Reply with quote

I believe the magic number was 19 inches wide. Any wider and they are a problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with seat mounting/installation Reply with quote

Many of us use a PRP Roadster suspension seats. I like them because you can sit in them for long periods of time if you are on a long distance trip.

19 inches wide, fit nice and fairly low seating position depending on how you mount them.

Other seats fit but 19 inches is pretty well the limit unless you like the wedged in look.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with seat mounting/installation Reply with quote

Yes... PRP Roadsters on adjustable sliders and seats mounted directly to sliders (with adapters if necessary) and sliders directly on floor pan... Nice low profile for driver and keeps their head below windshield line...

Real secret is 19 inches and good sliders...

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Universal-Bucket-Seat-Slider-Tracks,7103.html

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with seat mounting/installation Reply with quote

Thank you for the seat suggestions. I've had two different sets of seats in the car so far and they work great, so far as it goes. However, my preference is for a much more period look. Toward that end I am using stuff that would have been available and commonly used at the time the buggy was built. Towards that end I am installing a 65 steering column and wheel, horn etc. The wheels are circa 1970, gauges original to the build and so on. Exceptions of course for safety related things like brakes.

I see pics all over of buggys from back in the day with VW low back seats, I assume out of their donor cars. The buggy we had when I was growing up was a Dune Runner with stock VW low back seats. For the life of me though, I can't see how they made them fit.

I can get the seat bottom by itself on, but then the seat back won't go on. When I try to install the whole seat the seat back frame, where it emerges from under the upholstery, hits the side and I can't get the seat tracks to match up.

Anyone with any experience putting stock VW seats into a buggy, please chime in.
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with seat mounting/installation Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with seat mounting/installation Reply with quote

Above are pics from another thread here featuring vintage buggy pics. Each of these appear to have stock VW low backs. This is the look I'm going for. To each their own, but the... hot rod street buggys are not my preference. I get it, they look and drive amazing, and the workmanship is unreal, just not my thing.

I appreciate any and all help, thanks!
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with seat mounting/installation Reply with quote

rbucklin wrote:

Look at the top pic. The seat edge is pushed in at least a half inch from the buggy body and there is almost no gap in between the two seats. That means you can not grab the emergency brake without the seat in the way.

If that's the vintage look you want then you have exactly what you are looking for.
To each his own.

Those seats are wedged in there and that was ok back then because there was nothing else available and people wanted to build them cheap.

Nowadays people think nothing of building a Manx and having $80,000.00 into it.
I saw one at the 2016 Big Bear Manx Club run.....it was a beauty.
He had a total of 30 miles on it...........I have a pic somewhere..... Embarassed

I prefer a comfortable seat along with a lot of power so that's how my buggy is built.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Help with seat mounting/installation Reply with quote

I understand the quest to look period. But in addition to updating safety, VW also updated the seat tracks for safety reasons too. Maybe consider updating the tracks on the stock VW seats.

Aftermarket tracks are available and can make the mounting a lot easier. It can also allow you to lower the seat in the body/chassis too but still fit in the space allotted.

My Sandflea had '65 seats in it, and their VW design had the upper backs almost touching like in the pictures you posted, but the bottoms have space for the ebrake to work. VW changed the seats over those mid 60's several times.

Here is my Sandflea with the working seats on the stock VW sliders and the backs almost make a bench seat, but the ebrake still has room to operate. BTW, they also sat too high. I will be replacing them with a reclining bucket ProCar seat for traveling comfort.

As reference, from the shoulder forward on my buggy, it is a direct splash of the Manx exactly except for missing the hood bump. Rearward, well, it is a little different.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with seat mounting/installation Reply with quote

I am with you, I love the look of the stock seats. I am building a period buggy and will probably end up with them as well. Do you have any photos of your setup? My seats were tight because the body was not quite stretched enough on the pan and I needed to adjust it...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with seat mounting/installation Reply with quote

Clonebug, the seat backs are wider than the seat bottoms. That is why they (nearly) touch at the top but there is still room for the ebrake. Remember, these went into stock VW bugs so, unless you narrowed your pan as well as shortening it, they mount on the original tracks so the geometry is the same.

Caleb, I am in AZ for the next 5 weeks while the buggy in question is in Washington. I do not have pics of the set up for that buggy with me so it's on hold for the moment.

Honestly, I'm getting tired of messing with it so will probably just stick with the 90's cloth buckets for now. They are comfy, but they just look so wrong...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: