Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did your Vanagon get for Christmas?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vashon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: What did your Vanagon get for Christmas? Reply with quote

Merry christmas all, I am on a roadtrip so the van got its gifts early this year. injectors and rocker arms among other goodies. I was wondering what other vans got this year?

Tim
Week 2 of a three month SW road trip. just trippin thru the desert.
87 westy 2.1
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did your vanagon get for Christmas? Reply with quote

Peloquin, trans rebuild, aluminum valve cover painted Ford racing blue Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy (Bostig). Don't tell the van though, the goodies are under the tree but don't get installed for another week or so.

Enjoy your trip! The Orcas have been visiting Vashon while you've been away.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did your vanagon get for Christmas? Reply with quote

A fas conversion, rebuilt front diff with locker, decoupler, transaxle rebuild with all gears stuff, and aux tank. Got better presents than me.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: What did your vanagon get for Christmas? Reply with quote

Got four perfect condition CLK alloys so now I have 9 total and can get setup with winter tires.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: What did your vanagon get for Christmas? Reply with quote

Lumps of rolling coal...
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: What did your vanagon get for Christmas? Reply with quote

Hey now- I know the vanagon isn't the cleanest emitting vehicle in the world, but it's a long ways better than "rolling coal."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_coal
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did your vanagon get for Christmas? Reply with quote

Christmas day I installed a kill switch. While down under I found out my 6 month old Rockford boot was cracked. Luckily I had a new set of Lobro boots on hand - turned out both boots on the axle were cracked.

Oh and an ARB Deluxe awning room.
surfwagonorangevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did your vanagon get for Christmas? Reply with quote

A fairly though brake overhaul, new rear cylinders, rebuilt calipers, new rubber hoses at all wheels , new master cylinder and two new hard lines from master cylinder to first connection under seat area . The usual stuck rear hubs , heat is definitely your friend here . Stuck caliper pistons , rebuilt my own calipers , was able to pull pads out while still on van and use hydraulics to push pistons out as far as rotor. Then use compressed air on bench to remove from caliper.
I feel a lot better about the brakes , safety was an issue , those hard lines were very corroded behind the front grill where they come out of the cab . front calipers were holding the brakes on , rear cylinders had leaking seals . Phew ! it was a major undertaking , took several days .
surfwagonorangevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did your vanagon get for Christmas? Reply with quote

A fairly though brake overhaul, new rear cylinders, rebuilt calipers, new rubber hoses at all wheels , new master cylinder and two new hard lines from master cylinder to first connection under seat area . The usual stuck rear hubs , heat is definitely your friend here . Stuck caliper pistons , rebuilt my own calipers , was able to pull pads out while still on van and use hydraulics to push pistons out as far as rotor. Then use compressed air on bench to remove from caliper.
I feel a lot better about the brakes , safety was an issue , those hard lines were very corroded behind the front grill where they come out of the cab . front calipers were holding the brakes on , rear cylinders had leaking seals . Phew ! it was a major undertaking , took several days .
ThomasC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did your vanagon get for Christmas? Reply with quote

New fuel lines, fuel pump, and a REALLY thorough pressure wash. All the moss and grime is gone! It (He,She?) looks nearly NEW with its now bright and shiny white paint. Very Happy
1970 Standard Beetle
2004 Golf
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CurtisS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did your vanagon get for Christmas? Reply with quote

Ours will be getting a new engine as it's 2.3 GW wasserboxer grenaded itself on Christmas Eve. Considering options... Rolling Eyes
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did your vanagon get for Christmas? Reply with quote

You guys are making me look like a slacker. I only got a new pair of LT rearview mirrors and new hook up boxes for the side of my van.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I couldn't resist when I saw a slot car called the Samba Bus on the internet. In typical VW style it required service on it's first trip around the track.
John
westydriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did your vanagon get for Christmas? Reply with quote

New CV joints, fuel tank, fuel lines and hi torque starter. It got a hug too and a big thanks of appreciation for sitting idly for several years. Hate to tease the ole turd but I had to let it know it's almost time. 2019 is gonna be a big year.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did your vanagon get for Christmas? Reply with quote

82westyrabbit wrote:

I couldn't resist when I saw a slot car called the Samba Bus on the internet. In typical VW style it required service on it's first trip around the track.
John

It's a shame they butchered it by radiusing the wheelwells. They're only original once, you know.

My van didn't get anything but I got a copy of Foster Huntington's book Van Life so I can read about vans like mine and look at nice pictures. Hey...I can go camping, too!
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did your vanagon get for Christmas? Reply with quote

A new rear heater core arrived today for the white turd.

Craig
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did your vanagon get for Christmas? Reply with quote

10 gallons of brand new gasoline.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did your vanagon get for Christmas? Reply with quote

Thesamba bus is a reproduction the dunn Buggeee in the of the picture however is not plus VW Bettle that are from when I was my sons age. John
Vashon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: What did your Vanagon get for Christmas? Reply with quote

Quote:

Say Brandon, what do you think of your arb awning room.?
I was thinking of getting one mid trip .

Tim
87 westy 2.1
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: What did your Vanagon get for Christmas? Reply with quote

Vashon wrote:
Quote:

Say Brandon, what do you think of your arb awning room.?
I was thinking of getting one mid trip .

Tim
87 westy 2.1

I'll keep you posted - I have not tried it out yet. I kinda wish it was the older style with the windows.

Here is the one I am talking about I saw at the Overland Expo

wered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did your Vanagon get for Christmas? Reply with quote

My 90 Carat got new tires, 16 inch vancafe carrot wheels, speakers, headlight lenses, replacement headrests for the rear seat, power lock actuators and a gowesty keyless entry kit.
87 Scirroco 16V
2017 GTI
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: