Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

anyone customize a 11 window splitty?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone customize a 11 window splitty? Reply with quote

I'd be more concerned with the bottom 12" before engine, skylights and sunroof. If you are doing this work yourself there is $3-4k in metal and countless hours in labor to get that solid. Looks like a decent bus and the price sure was nice!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: anyone customize a 11 window splitty? Reply with quote

This pretty much is the exact same situation I was in. I bought a hacked up panel and started doing all the necessary work to make it look like a bus again. I then decided to turn it into a deluxe and added windows and belly pans. Hopefully I'll get it completed with all 23 windows. It will be a close approximation to a factory samba... See my tagline for the build and pics.

be warned; I have a several hundred hours invested into it and I don't think I'm half way there.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone customize a 11 window splitty? Reply with quote

it may make sense to translate this into GTO relatable terms?

numbers matching is important for GTOs...

post the m-code tag behind the seat on the passenger side. This will show what it was when built. month and year, model, options, colors, etc.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/mcodest2.php

Assuming you have a 63 standard, you are in the desirable model year range (small hatch)
a standard will have a different interior headliner, panels, seat covers, etc than a KOMBI

you can make a 23 window...

rear seats are expensive as in thousands of dollars (this is not a chevy! Smile )

you will need deluxe trim for outside, window guards (jailbars) and a clock for the dash, trim for the engine vents, bumper trim etc, all available new except the clock

if you have 64 wide hatch you are in 21 window territory, everything else still applies.

then you get to decide how 'stock' you want your drivetrain, bigger motor, lowered? disk brakes, etc. a stock bus is slow. learn to like that Smile

you will be doing a lot of bodywork, but just about all panels are available now. but it is not a chevy, panels are higher than you may expect.

overall, i think, people still prefer stock over restomod, with the exception of lowering perhaps

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
redhotgto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: anyone customize a 11 window splitty? Reply with quote

well got the headlier out sunday, and its a little worse on the roof then i thought !
im sure i will need to buy a replacement roof so why not go ahead and at least put in roof windows right? think i will skip the sunroof and repair the gutters around the front of van. i might as well start on the hardest thig to do right?
i always did it that way when i built my gto's, start at the hardest thing to do then the rest seemed like a breeze and ya dont get stuck or stop workin cause ya just dont wanna do a certain thing ! lol
goatboy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: