Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I shot clear coat and then saw that the base is full of flaws
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: I shot clear coat and then saw that the base is full of flaws Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I've dabbled in painting over the years but never had good equipment. Now i have a gun and compressor etc...

For christmas i thought i'd resolve the hood on my sons pickup which has a clear coat thats breaking up. I thought i'd just sand off the bad clear without disturbing the base and shoot a clear over it all (after sanding of course).

I joked with him about needing to practice on someone else's car before painting something important like my wifes bug or my bus!

When he arrived home and i started looking at the hood i saw dents, which i couldnt get to from behind and 50 or so stone chips... some that have gotten down to metal and are rusting. So i sanded anything rusty down to metal and applied filler. As i hadn't counted on using primer, i didnt buy any, but i had just a little 2k PU primer lying around to coat a couple times where i had used filler.

Then i went onto wet sanding the entire hood 600 grit. Everything seemed super smooth and with water on top looked great.

Then i shot a base metalic silver, 3 coats. I cant remember if i was already seeing defects but went straight onto clear...

With the clear i immediately saw problems and as i already had all the clear in the gun i shot the 3 coats.

The result is a nice glossy surface with little to no orange peel, BUT the base looks like crap! I'm seeing that basically every place that i sanded has shown up, so i guess that i didnt do enough sanding and i remember freaking out about sanding through any primer because i didnt have any more. i would have shot the whole hood in primer - if i had had enough primer o hand. As it was christmas and things were closed i decided to make do...

So i'm asking those with experience - what do i do now?!!

I've been doing some reading around the net and theres some conflicting info.

Can i sand the clear with 600 and base coat it? or should i shoot primer first?

I've been using dupont paints.

Hope you all had a safe and merry Christmas.

Happy new years!

-Mike
79 Brazilian Bug / Fusca
jmmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: I shot clear coat and then saw that the base is full of flaws Reply with quote

Actually... the base was shot over primer and some parts in factory clear coat (i didnt have enough primer remember). As i had seen guys on you tube shooting base over a scuffed up clear i thought it'd be ok... but this may have contributed to what i'm seeing.

-m.
79 Brazilian Bug / Fusca
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: I shot clear coat and then saw that the base is full of flaws Reply with quote

Yes, you can shoot more base over the clear. But first you should block it with 600 wet. You really must use the block.

If after blocking it you have a nice flat surface, meaning that there is an even scuffing, then reshoot your base and clear. The key is to make sure you use a block. The block will show all minor issues you have before you shoot the base.

You will want to make sure you check the cure times to make sure you don't get an interaction.
jmmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: I shot clear coat and then saw that the base is full of flaws Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Yes, you can shoot more base over the clear. But first you should block it with 600 wet. You really must use the block.

If after blocking it you have a nice flat surface, meaning that there is an even scuffing, then reshoot your base and clear. The key is to make sure you use a block. The block will show all minor issues you have before you shoot the base.

You will want to make sure you check the cure times to make sure you don't get an interaction.

Thanks jspbtown... i'm definitely using the block.

Using the block, sanding is in one direction only, cris cross, or does it not matter?

-m.
79 Brazilian Bug / Fusca
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: I shot clear coat and then saw that the base is full of flaws Reply with quote

cris cross is fine. The key is to keep it flat, plenty of water and try to get a even and thorough scuff on the panel.
jmmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: I shot clear coat and then saw that the base is full of flaws Reply with quote

There are a couple of low spots - dings actually...

The scope of this respray wasn't to get everything perfect!

But with these dings, the block obviously isnt going to reach them. So is it ok just to sand by hand in these dings?? Or is the fact that a ding is there going to create an anomaly once the base metalic is sprayed??

Thanks,

Mike
79 Brazilian Bug / Fusca
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: I shot clear coat and then saw that the base is full of flaws Reply with quote

Quote:
Or is the fact that a ding is there going to create an anomaly once the base metalic is sprayed??

Yes....that's why I said to use a block. You will get cratering if you do it by hand. Since you are respraying base you can block all you wish to get it flat.

Last edited by jspbtown on Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: I shot clear coat and then saw that the base is full of flaws Reply with quote

Add a little filler, spot putty or high build primer in the dings and then block sand it again.
I like red oxide primer because it will show any flaws better.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: I shot clear coat and then saw that the base is full of flaws Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Add a little filler, spot putty or high build primer in the dings and then block sand it again.
I like red oxide primer because it will show any flaws better.

Thanks Mike!

I was sooo close to doing this... I had thought about it for a couple days, reading stuff online. There were still loads of imperfections from chips that i had missed etc.

So in the in the end i decided that painting on top a third time was probably a bad idea - so i've started stripping to bare metal - its just the hood.

Another factor is that my son intends to keep the car for the foreseeable future, so i might as well do it 'properly'.

-Mike
79 Brazilian Bug / Fusca
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: I shot clear coat and then saw that the base is full of flaws Reply with quote

If you are going down to bare metal than make sure you invest in some epoxy primer.

Then your steps are:

1. Epoxy prime, cure, scuff
2. Filler work
3. High Build
4. Guidecoat
5. Block
6. Reduced epoxy as sealer
7. Base
8. Clear
jmmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: I shot clear coat and then saw that the base is full of flaws Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
If you are going down to bare metal than make sure you invest in some epoxy primer.

Then your steps are:

1. Epoxy prime, cure, scuff
2. Filler work
3. High Build
4. Guidecoat
5. Block
6. Reduced epoxy as sealer
7. Base
8. Clear

Thanks jspbtown...

I never considered the possibility of finding body filler underneath! it had already been repainted! So i'm still on step 2... taking my time.

Cheers,

-m.
79 Brazilian Bug / Fusca
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: I shot clear coat and then saw that the base is full of flaws Reply with quote

Just get SPI epoxy, it builds enough to use as a surfacer if you don't need to do heavy blocking. It's more stable and doesn't shrink like high build does. No sealer or high build needed this way. If you do need high build primer, polyester primer (like Slick Sand) is better as it won't shrink.

If possible make your own blocks out of 1/16", 1/8", and 1/4" plexiglass/acrylic. The hard surface will cut quickly and ensure that the surface is being leveled, and the thinner blocks will flex to match the contour of the panel. I use Gorilla tape on the back side in a "T" shape as a handle.

Do your filler work over prepped bare metal. Get your filler work as perfect as possible, don't rely on piling on a lot of primer to get the shape right or the panel straight.

Bare metal.
Filler.
Three coats of epoxy.
Guidecoat.
Block with 220 to remove orange peel. Finer paper will not cut enough to flatten the primer- it'll only "round over" the texture *especially* if you're not using a hard-face block.
Guidecoat.
Wetsand with 600. Make sure all the 220 scratches are sanded out!
Base- enough coats to get coverage, then nib any dust/trash spots and shoot an orientaion coat to get even metalic particle layout.
Clear.

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
jmmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: I shot clear coat and then saw that the base is full of flaws Reply with quote

theastronaut wrote:
Just get SPI epoxy, it builds enough to use as a surfacer if you don't need to do heavy blocking. It's more stable and doesn't shrink like high build does. No sealer or high build needed this way. If you do need high build primer, polyester primer (like Slick Sand) is better as it won't shrink.

If possible make your own blocks out of 1/16", 1/8", and 1/4" plexiglass/acrylic. The hard surface will cut quickly and ensure that the surface is being leveled, and the thinner blocks will flex to match the contour of the panel. I use Gorilla tape on the back side in a "T" shape as a handle.

Do your filler work over prepped bare metal. Get your filler work as perfect as possible, don't rely on piling on a lot of primer to get the shape right or the panel straight.

Bare metal.
Filler.
Three coats of epoxy.
Guidecoat.
Block with 220 to remove orange peel. Finer paper will not cut enough to flatten the primer- it'll only "round over" the texture *especially* if you're not using a hard-face block.
Guidecoat.
Wetsand with 600. Make sure all the 220 scratches are sanded out!
Base- enough coats to get coverage, then nib any dust/trash spots and shoot an orientaion coat to get even metalic particle layout.
Clear.

Thanks astronaut!

Helpful post, hadn't considered the effect of the sanding blocks surface. Would an acrylic block really be that noticeable over the typical plastic block?

Man I really regret going to bare metal. What was assumed to be a factory paint job had body filler underneath the whole width of the hood near the windscreen. I stopped stripping when i realised what was going on, but still had a heck of a time fixing it all.

The silver metalic base coat gave me troubles. I had been putting it on only slighty wet causing cloudy or hazy effects. After a bit of research it all turned out OK - not amazing but definitely a learning curve.

Cheers,

Mike
79 Brazilian Bug / Fusca
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: I shot clear coat and then saw that the base is full of flaws Reply with quote

jmmj wrote:
Would an acrylic block really be that noticeable over the typical plastic block?

Yes, typical hard blocks are not flexible so they can't apply even pressure across the surface of the block on a rounded surface, so you're only sanding a small area. There are almost no panels on any car that don't have a just a little bit of crown to the shape, so a flat block is useless. A thin 1/16" acrylic block can flex over very round surfaces while maintaining a full-contact hard surface, or a long 3/8" thick piece can flex enough over slightly curved panels while still being stiff enough to cut down only the high spots. I got rid of all my Durablocks and AFS adjustable foam/spring steel blocks once I tried acrylic blocks.

Here's a website with more info on acrylic blocks. I made my own for free using leftovers from our glass shop.

https://tylerkrauseinc.wordpress.com/2016/05/05/sanding-blocks-for-body-work/

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
jmmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: I shot clear coat and then saw that the base is full of flaws Reply with quote

theastronaut wrote:
jmmj wrote:
Would an acrylic block really be that noticeable over the typical plastic block?

Yes, typical hard blocks are not flexible so they can't apply even pressure across the surface of the block on a rounded surface, so you're only sanding a small area. There are almost no panels on any car that don't have a just a little bit of crown to the shape, so a flat block is useless. A thin 1/16" acrylic block can flex over very round surfaces while maintaining a full-contact hard surface, or a long 3/8" thick piece can flex enough over slightly curved panels while still being stiff enough to cut down only the high spots. I got rid of all my Durablocks and AFS adjustable foam/spring steel blocks once I tried acrylic blocks.

Here's a website with more info on acrylic blocks. I made my own for free using leftovers from our glass shop.

https://tylerkrauseinc.wordpress.com/2016/05/05/sanding-blocks-for-body-work/

Thats really interesting! Makes good sense. I'm going to have to hunt for some acrylic scraps...

I saw those flexible foam blocks that Eastwood have where you can set it to the contour of a particular panel by using a tape on both sides to hold the shape. Interesting, but not available in my neck of the woods. So acrylic makes a lot of sense for me.

Cheers!

Mike
79 Brazilian Bug / Fusca
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: I shot clear coat and then saw that the base is full of flaws Reply with quote

I have conflicting advice. The clear would act like a high build primer. I would have put a thick guide coat, cheap flat black. Blocked the hood until it was all gone. If any metal came through a dust of primer before paint then clear. I worked at a body shop out of high school and seen it many times.

If stripping to steel
1. Epoxy
2. Filler
3. High build
4. Paint
5. Clear

You can add filler straight on to the epoxy without sanding first for about 7 days. Check with manufacture of epoxy. It makes an airtight seal and filler chemically sticks without possibility of rust under it.

Try a flexible block before buying a bunch. I dont like them. It’s all preference and i like flats.
jmmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: I shot clear coat and then saw that the base is full of flaws Reply with quote

jason wrote:
I have conflicting advice. The clear would act like a high build primer. I would have put a thick guide coat, cheap flat black. Blocked the hood until it was all gone. If any metal came through a dust of primer before paint then clear. I worked at a body shop out of high school and seen it many times.

If stripping to steel
1. Epoxy
2. Filler
3. High build
4. Paint
5. Clear

You can add filler straight on to the epoxy without sanding first for about 7 days. Check with manufacture of epoxy. It makes an airtight seal and filler chemically sticks without possibility of rust under it.

Try a flexible block before buying a bunch. I dont like them. It’s all preference and i like flats.

Thanks Jason. Good to know for someone inexperienced like myself. In the end i was worried about all the layers (turned out to be 3-4 layers!). I was also worried about where the hood had broken down clear coat exposing the base for years, which i hadn't touched (the base). Someone said it could create problems after a while. So i decided to not risk it...

Cheers!
79 Brazilian Bug / Fusca
NachoCar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: I shot clear coat and then saw that the base is full of flaws Reply with quote

Thank you for the Tip on acrylic blocks!!!

I was looking at my round beetle and my flat durablock and just knew there HAD to be a 'Trick'
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: