Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Please Evaluate my Crummy Welds!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Please Evaluate my Crummy Welds! Reply with quote

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to all!

I have some free time before returning to work so I've been playing in my garage. I'm going to be welding in new floors soon and thought it would be smart to practice first with a bit of scrap tunnel.

I sanded down the tunnel lip and sprayed some weld through primer. I have a test piece of 18 gauge that I drilled 1/4 inch holes into, 1 inch apart. I also painted with weld-through primer. The sheet metal was screwed tight into the tunnel lip through every other hole.

I'm using an Eastwood 135 Mig Welder with .03 wire. I pretty much cranked it all the way up. The tunnel lips is 4mm thick so I assume I should be trying to penetrate all the way through.

I've been playing with long and short stick out with the wire. Closer/shorter stick out seems to work better? Not really sure.

Are my welds supposed to be flatter than this? The sheet metal seems to be sticking pretty well to the tunnel. And I can see round marks on the other side from the heat.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Evaluate my Crummy Welds! Reply with quote

Looks pretty good to me. If you are worried about weld penetration, cut one of your test pieces through the weld to see how it looks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Evaluate my Crummy Welds! Reply with quote

Where are you starting your weld? I wasn't a huge fan of the weld through primer on the spot I was going to weld. Around it was OK, but I wanted to start my welds on bright shinny metal. I felt the weld through primer contaminated my welds. Hotter would get you flatter, but you need to start your weld in the center of the hole on the thicker tunnel metal below. Once you do that and let it pool up, it will flow outward to the edges of the hole in the thinner replacement metal on top and give you good penetration.

The second weld from the left in the second pic didn't flow out and make contact completely with the edges of the entire hole. The first weld on the left in the third pic looks like it did.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Evaluate my Crummy Welds! Reply with quote

I weld the seam and go around in a circle and drill the hole big enough that the beads meet in the center. This helps avoid Cold Welds. You can tell if it's a Cold Weld while you are doing them if the Heat Zone does not effect the outside piece. The Heat Zone will not travel outside the hole at all.

Weld Through Primer really should be referred to ' Welding Temp Rated Primer' because there is no advantage to using it unless you are enclosing up a cavity and will no longer have access to paint it. I don't advise trying to arc through it from previous experiences
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Evaluate my Crummy Welds! Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm holding the tip of the welding perpendicular to the hole and just counting to two or three. Any longer and the sheet metal starts to blow through.

The 1/4 inch hole feels too small to swirl around a weld puddle. I did scratch away a bit of the primer in the center of the hole before I started welding.

I'll try a new test tomorrow with larger holes and no primer and see how that works. And I'll split open the other welds and see if they penetrated the tunnel lip.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Evaluate my Crummy Welds! Reply with quote

Those welds look pretty good to me. I was using that welder for a bit and still have it (Need to send back for replacement), but now have a used miller. 4mm is about 8 or 9 gauge and 18 gauge is about 1mm thick. Add those together and you've got some thick steel to weld. Eastwood 135 maxes at 1/8" right, you're well past that even just trying to weld on the tunnel. I'd say overall I'd be very happy with those welds and if you can see the marks on the back you're good. Always set the welder to the thicker steel too when you're weld, not the thinner one. With the weld through primer, like beetlenut said, I don't really use it. I normally put actually primer and just grind where I'm welding or if you're doing plugs, you can use an awl and scrape the primer away in the holes, of course it's easier to just grind on all the spots where holes are.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Please Evaluate my Crummy Welds! Reply with quote

Quote:
The 1/4 inch hole feels too small to swirl around a weld puddle.

You almost never have to weave ,but weaving is all about this. If you're welding hot ,the build up of filler wire would be much less because you have to move fast. You could weld hotter with Flux Core but it's different enough that it gives people with narrow welding skills issues. The 'button hole' looking welds have a tendency to Cold Weld but they can be okay.
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Please Evaluate my Crummy Welds! Reply with quote

Okay, I'll definitely switch out the weld through primer. I wonder if there's any use in heating up the area with a propane torch? Hopefully I'll be alright with this welder. I'm going to chisel and cut the test welds apart and see what I got.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Please Evaluate my Crummy Welds! Reply with quote

I have the Eastwood 135 and used it to weld my rotisserie using .035 Flux core wire. I welded 1/8" wall tubing to 3/16" plate with the welder set at G.5 and 3.5. The welds pentrated well and sat flat but ugly.

I am replying on my phone. PM me if you want more details. I have pictures I can send you.

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Evaluate my Crummy Welds! Reply with quote

Quote:
I wonder if there's any use in heating up the area with a propane torch?

It will help but you have to keep the temp low enough so the metal does not dome up and stretch it's self. I'm guessing that this is under 400 degrees. It will be difficult to heat a area up ,set the torch down ,grab the welding nozzle and fill a hole and still get the benefit of preheating while keeping the temp within range.

Quote:
The welds penetrated well and sat flat but ugly.

Flux Core looks it's best when done hot. The Bead Toe will be very fluid and reflective along with a lot of agitation of the bead surface. It will however be lumpier than MIG looks when the bead solidifies.
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Evaluate my Crummy Welds! Reply with quote

I did another more test this afternoon. "Don't set the garage on fire again!" my wife said on my way into the garage. Acetone-soaked rags and welding don't mix.

Heating up the welding area with a torch was definitely impractical. I had to heat up the area while wearing my welding gloves, set the torch aside at a safe distance, get the welder ready, lower my helmet, make the weld then repeat. It might work better if I had someone helping me and heating the tunnel lip from behind.

Here are the results with no primer and the heated welds. The welds marked with red sharpie are the ones where the screws had been. Overall I think the welds were a bit flatter.

I then broke out the air chisel and removed the last welding test that was the piece I had used weld-through primer on. The welds were very hard to remove and if my memory isn't too faulty, harder to remove than the factory original floor pan spot I removed last summer (age and rust were surely a factor). The space between welds is nicely protected with primer which I like.

Then I took off the piece I just did (without weld-through primer and pre-heated with the torch). Surprisingly, I thought they were actually easier to chisel off.

In the end I guess it boils down to personal preference. I did notice that the welds that were done through the screw holes in the tunnel lip were much stronger. I may still try flux welding. Ideally I should upgrade to a more powerful welder.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Evaluate my Crummy Welds! Reply with quote

They should have all had uniform strength when trying to separate the top from the bottom piece and that is why letting the bead build up and spread out without moving the arc can be unreliable.

Part of the issue with the screw holes being stronger is that when the others were welded , the top thin piece probably warped slightly away from the bottom piece. If I stitch thin metal down ,I found it has to be anchored no more than 1 1/4" apart.

One of my welders is a 105 amp Century. With flux core and the power grid on a good day Laughing , it will do anything automotive that you throw at it. Flux Core is a lot more challenging and will increase your skills quite a bit plus if you run out of supplies you can do emergency repairs by just picking up a roll of wire at a Home Center. I only MIG on a restoration repair now. The two hundred amp machines get into stick welding amps so they can do maybe 3/16" single pass which is pretty thick for a automotive repair. The inverter welders have a superior arc which is much more stable and has a much wider range of wire speed capacity. If you get a big welder with post and pre gas settings, it's a pain to fill holes with it because there is a delay between when you press the trigger to arc and also one when you let off of the trigger to stop the arc. They don't have a zero setting on them and some of them are not adjustable at all.
BeetL62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Evaluate my Crummy Welds! Reply with quote

I work at Eastwood and also have the MIG 135. It will handle up to 3/16” with solid wire and 1/4” with flux core, so you shouldn’t have any issues with it for installing pans. I just used mine to install pans in the buggy I am building. I used the settings on the set up chart and then backed off wire speed just a bit to get my welds flatter.

If you decide to try flux core, make sure you get a knurled drive roller, as the roller that comes on the machine is for solid wire (you will not get a consistent wire feed).

If you want to email me a cell number, I could have Matt, who does a lot of our videos and training, give you a call on Monday. My work email is [email protected]. Thank you for your business.

Thanks,
Nick
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Evaluate my Crummy Welds! Reply with quote

If you can tighten the tension enough on the drive roller it won't slip but the outside of the wire flakes off and makes a big mess in the cabinet. With a plastic wire feeder ,it might actually be too much force for it. Some welders only come with a knurled roller and you leave it on for either solid or flux core. I leave the knurled rollers on for solid core even if a smooth one is made for it. That way you don't have to have a lot of force on a plastic tensioner.

Last edited by theKbStockpiler on Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Evaluate my Crummy Welds! Reply with quote

BeetL62 wrote:
I work at Eastwood and also have the MIG 135. It will handle up to 3/16” with solid wire and 1/4” with flux core, so you shouldn’t have any issues with it for installing pans. I just used mine to install pans in the buggy I am building. I used the settings on the set up chart and then backed off wire speed just a bit to get my welds flatter.

If you decide to try flux core, make sure you get a knurled drive roller, as the roller that comes on the machine is for solid wire (you will not get a consistent wire feed).

If you want to email me a cell number, I could have Matt, who does a lot of our videos and training, give you a call on Monday. My work email is [email protected]. Thank you for your business.

Thanks,
Nick

Okay, thank you. I may stick with the regular wire, it seems to do the trick when turned all the way up. Although in general I do have a wire feed problem. I have to turn the speed up two numbers to get a good weld. I'm not sure if I have the wire tension set up wrong or it's something to do with the voltage in my garage. I'll shoot you an email, thanks!
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Evaluate my Crummy Welds! Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
They should have all had uniform strength when trying to separate the top from the bottom piece and that is why letting the bead build up and spread out without moving the arc can be unreliable.

So I should try to give it a bit of circular motion? It's a bit challenging given the tiny size of the hole and holding the tip perpendicular to the surface and not being able to see what I'm doing, but I'll give it a try.

The lip is about .08 inches so in theory I only have to heat that up hot enough to melt it into the the edge of the pan while not blasting through both. I think this welder should be able to do that or seems to be doing that with my test pieces.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Please Evaluate my Crummy Welds! Reply with quote

I take it you are doing rosette, or "plug" welds so that it is more similar to the stock spot welds, but, it's not fooling anybody Razz , especially since you don't have really enough power to do it....the way you are doing it.

I'd cut it shorter and do a lap weld, just normal along the edge. well. probably not over the whole thing but, 50%. 3/4 long beads spaced that far apart. Weld back toward the last weld you did to get less distortion.

The first second, or sometimes two seconds of a mig weld are usually cold and brittle IF........ you have the power set at a level for making a nice continuous bead. Knowing this, sometimes I'll start welding 1/4 inch or more away from the joint, like I have terrible aim Laughing So that gets it HOT before i hit the actual joint, and can go back and grind off the excess later, if desired. BUT....you can't do that with those plug welds. OR, you could take the holes and cut to the edge and make them into U shape SLOTS, then you could do that.

You DO have enough power to make a good bead but not enough to do those plug welds because the tunnel is THICK. welding a thin piece to a thick piece is always tricky and usually a bad idea. Good job for tig.

MIG welding is a one trick pony but it's a GOOD trick!

It's great for filling in holes, but only a specific size in a specific thickness. Sometimes I'll fit and tack a part in place, THEN cut grooves for me to fill in, because then I can control the gap easy. Speaking of that, you could do that too. You could fit and tack the panel in place, then drill into both pieces, (not all the way through) and thus make a larger hole for you to fill Wink Although, sure is a lot of work. Laughing

I have a eastwood 135, and a hobart 180
the 135 IS superior tool for sheetmetal up to 14 gauge. But, filling in groove or hole on heavy thickness or solid material the 180 is what you want to use. Preheating can help in a lot of cases, but....not for sheetmetal because it will warp everything just terrible.

And, it may be true that flux core will work better for the way you are doing it, that will slow down the process and let you get more heat into it before the hole is filled. It's a possibility, but, is that the best way to do it? I don't think so. Those areas of the car where they stack many layers of metal is often where they rust out, so personally I try NOT to duplicate that, and sometimes that works out slick and sometimes it doesn't, but I try.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Please Evaluate my Crummy Welds! Reply with quote

If you want a reliable way to tell if your welder has enough amps, do a stitch weld about 1/4" on the test tunnel piece.

As long as you can pull the bead with the nozzle, your speed is not too fast. I see no reason why the nozzle can't follow the seam in the holes. Stick the nozzle straight down with no push or pull angle and go in a circle on the seam or close enough that the pool overlaps the thin piece slightly.
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Please Evaluate my Crummy Welds! Reply with quote

Okay, I will try that and post another test.

I appreciate all the advice. I'm really hoping I can make this welder work without having to upgrade.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Please Evaluate my Crummy Welds! Reply with quote

Your plug welds look pretty good but try with a bit more stick out and they will be a bit hotter and will end up flatter rather than having the lump.

Most inexperienced welders (including myself) weld too cold due to fear of blowing through and often this is simply due to incorrect stock out rather than welder settings.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: