Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Consumer 3D Scanner recommendations
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWKDF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Consumer 3D Scanner recommendations Reply with quote

I've been looking as the tech has advanced over the past few years but still haven't found any options that seem good combination of quality and price.

Anyone have recommendations for a consumer grade 3D Scanner?

If you have one or have tried one what are things to look for or look out for?

What's the best option for the home user?

Thanks, Tim

P.S. I give total credit for inspiring me to post/plagerize this to nlorntson's topic.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Consumer 3D Scanner recommendations Reply with quote

I have used the HP Sprout. It makes really nice scans, but is limited as far as object size goes.

The museum I volunteer at has a hand-held thing based on some sort of video game (I think that's what they said?). It is awkward and the scans are not very high quality, especially if you try to scan small objects. It is OK for larger things.

I have also used a FARO laser 3d scanner. Extreme quality, but I would expect that for a professional unit.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
VWKDF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Consumer 3D Scanner recommendations Reply with quote

Once a year I google for the latest, but I'm afraid that I may have to wait a few more years till the tech get cheap enough for the home, except maybe for small scale. I am hoping to scan a full car and large parts so the I may examine body modifications in 3d prior to real cutting and welding. I also was thinking it would be very cool to scan my split every part one at a time while restoring it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: