Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wrdrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

Thank you!

So far so good. She's running strong with no leaks. Cruised to grab coffee a few days ago and hit 80 on the interstate before even realizing it. Snapped a pic of it on what's likely the last drive until spring (snow is finally coming to Indiana). Hoping to roll POR15 over the entire pan this winter just to get her nice and protected. This is a rock solid car and I want to keep it that way.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1968 Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8965092#8965092
wrdrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

Not the craziest update, but I'll be finally installing the wipers and their assemblies this weekend.

We bought the car with the wipers not working, and I found a like new wiper motor and all of the missing parts years ago, but never gotten around to installing any of it. I've just had the holes plugged with rubber plugs for 4 years. Laughing

I'll post a pic when (and if) I can manage to get it all working!

1968 Beetle
wrdrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

Well.. a day that was supposed to begin with a little cruise ended with the motor coming out again.

I started the car up this morning to go for a little 40 degree cruise, and within a minute I saw a massive puddle forming under it, just like the last time. Fast forward about two hours, and we had the car on the lift, and the engine out.. (you get pretty quick at it when you pull it every month..)

We knew it had to be something to do with the oil cooler again since the oil was leaking in the same way. We pulled the fan shroud off and cleaned up all the oil we could so we could look to see where it was coming from when we ran it briefly on the engine stand.

Before we even got it to fire, it started oozing oil out of the top of the cooler like a movie gag. All while it was just cranking over. We swapped the cooler out to another spare we had, and it did the exact same thing. It seems like the oil pressure is too high, but the strange thing is I've driven the car multiple times since it did this the last time, back when we thought it was just cooler seals.

Any ideas would be much appreciated! I attached a still from the video I took of it oozing out.

1968 Beetle
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

You need to get a pressure gauge! That way you can run it on the stand and find out what is happening. Coolers POP when the oil pressure is way too high.

What is the history of the case?

Most likely a stuck pressure relief piston. The bores get worn and the piston can get locked in the bore, cockeyed. That would be what I would chase, if everything is stock.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
wrdrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
You need to get a pressure gauge! That way you can run it on the stand and find out what is happening. Coolers POP when the oil pressure is way too high.

What is the history of the case?

Most likely a stuck pressure relief piston. The bores get worn and the piston can get locked in the bore, cockeyed. That would be what I would chase, if everything is stock.

Thank you for your input Jimbo! I appreciate it. We'll be chasing the pressure relief piston first, as that was my dad's thought as well.

As far as the history of the case, I really don't know. As far as I know/knew, it is just a standard 1600 case according to the builder. I'm starting to realize that going with the "budget" engine builder we found online was not remotely worth the savings, and I should have bought the turn-key freshly built 1600 my local air-cooled shop was offering for just a few hundred more.

I'll pull the pressure relief valves and take a look. Will update after!

1968 Beetle
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

wrdrew wrote:
Well.. a day that was supposed to begin with a little cruise ended with the motor coming... Fast forward about two hours, and we had the car on the lift, and the engine out.. (you get pretty quick at it when you pull it every month..)

Now THAT is a positive attitude. Very Happy
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
wrdrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Now THAT is a positive attitude. Very Happy

Doing my best here to hold it together lol Laughing

Pulled the relief valves last night and one of them was very sticky and had to be pried out, so maybe that's the culprit.

Ordered replacements for those, ordered a new starter (burned the existing one up starting it on the engine stand with a jump box... oops), new oil cooler (third time's the charm, right?) and an oil pressure gauge so we can see what the hell is going on with that thing.

Will post an update as soon as I can!

EDIT: Starting to think possible oil weight and temperature were culprits as well. The car was in the non-heated garage at the time, which was around 35 degrees, and I've been running heavy sae30 oil, so maybe that's contributing.

In the meantime, at least one of my flat-engined cars works.. for now (trust me, I've had 7 Subarus, I say this with a grain of salt)

1968 Beetle
wrdrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

The oil pressure gauge came in, and is now installed. Still waiting on the new pressure relief valves to come in so I can get them and the new cooler on. Fingers crossed we can get this thing at least semi-reliably running by spring!

1968 Beetle
RLFD213
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

Wrdrew it’s probably not the oil weight. It sounds like a pressure issue.
wrdrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

RLFD213 wrote:
Wrdrew it’s probably not the oil weight. It sounds like a pressure issue.

I'm honestly sure you're right. I think the oil weight theory was just some hopeful thinking. Still waiting on the new pressure assemblies, and will update after they're installed and we get a chance to run the car.

1968 Beetle
wrdrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

The engine is back in and all seems good so far with the new pressure valves in.

On cold start-up, we're seeing around 75-80psi, and then once it's warmed up, we're at a steady 40psi.

I have a habit of giving it a little additional throttle after start-up when it's cold out since it occasionally likes to stall out if I don't but after a minor choke and idle adjustment, all seems to be well there.

Thinking of going remote oil cooler and running a filter for the next "mod" for a little added peace of mind as well.

Will update when I go down to Indy in a few weeks to take some new pics when I take it out! Thinking I might cut and buff the car and polish the chrome to get it ready for spring. Gotta look good on the tow truck when it inevitably gets towed out of cars and coffee Laughing

1968 Beetle
wrdrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

Picked up a spare motor worth of parts this week for next to nothing. I think it'll be a fun opportunity for my dad and I to try to build one up that's a little peppier than our current 1600. Maybe some dual carbs and other goodies? Who knows. The guy claimed the engine ran before he tore it apart, but we're not too worried about it. The short block looks good and solid, so it should be fun!

1968 Beetle
wrdrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

Had some nice weather this weekend, so I took the bug on a little cruise to a pub with some buddies. The car drove great! I think we're out of the woods with the oil pressure issues finally.

We put the front sway bar back on, which hangs a good inch lower than the beam, and now scrapes on just about everything, but it's also working like a pseudo skid-plate, so I'll probably leave it on.

A few pics:

1968 Beetle
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

Your parts engine appears to be based on a late 1960's case, or at latest a 1970. Have you checked the stamped letter under the generator stand area? "H" would be a single-relief case for a 1500 cc, and "B" would be the dual-relief case for the 1970's 1600 cc. The single-snout air cleaner could be for '69 and '70; '67 and '68 still had dual-snouts. Single-port cylinder heads. That carburetor could be an old Holley Bug-spray, whereby I doubt that its larger intake throat will fit into the stock oil bath air cleaner.

Your modification choices for single-port heads are slightly more limited than for dual-ports but you can still add dual carbs (single throats such as Kadrons, Solex PDSIT, Weber 34 ICT, or used Dell'Orto 34 FRD), make minor modifications to the SP heads, and have a significantly stronger engine than with a single carb.

Do you plan on taking the short block apart for inspection, measuring and cleaning? Is that the short block's crank peeking up in the white bucket under the valve cover?
wrdrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Your parts engine appears to be based on a late 1960's case, or at latest a 1970. Have you checked the stamped letter under the generator stand area? "H" would be a single-relief case for a 1500 cc, and "B" would be the dual-relief case for the 1970's 1600 cc. The single-snout air cleaner could be for '69 and '70; '67 and '68 still had dual-snouts. Single-port cylinder heads. That carburetor could be an old Holley Bug-spray, whereby I doubt that its larger intake throat will fit into the stock oil bath air cleaner.

Thank you for the great info! I checked and the case has a stamped "B" for dual relief. Definitely is a bit of a random pile of parts as we've started going through it. We're missing quite a few things as well.

Rome wrote:
Your modification choices for single-port heads are slightly more limited than for dual-ports but you can still add dual carbs (single throats such as Kadrons, Solex PDSIT, Weber 34 ICT, or used Dell'Orto 34 FRD), make minor modifications to the SP heads, and have a significantly stronger engine than with a single carb.

I appreciate this info as well. We're not sure on the direction for the engine at the moment, as the first plan is just to try to put the thing and see if we can get it to run. Although upgrading the power would be fun!

Rome wrote:
Do you plan on taking the short block apart for inspection, measuring and cleaning? Is that the short block's crank peeking up in the white bucket under the valve cover?

That's the plan for now. Split the block, and give it a good once over. Looks solid so far, and from what I can tell, the reason it was taken apart was due to a cooked rod bearing. That crank in the white bucket has a nice toasty black finish in the #1 rod location.

1968 Beetle
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

I’m wary of you leaving that sway bar in place.
I had a 3/4” non lowered version as I had dropped spindles and a stock beam.
It caught on a 1.5” curb lip and it jammed inward causing it to contact the wheel.
Couldn’t turn the car. Had to pull it off to get home.
The swaybar actually bent!
Currently on the hunt for a lowered version but the only thing I can find is an EMPI which isn’t bent correctly. It’s a little wide.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wrdrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
I’m wary of you leaving that sway bar in place.
I had a 3/4” non lowered version as I had dropped spindles and a stock beam.
It caught on a 1.5” curb lip and it jammed inward causing it to contact the wheel.
Couldn’t turn the car. Had to pull it off to get home.
The swaybar actually bent!
Currently on the hunt for a lowered version but the only thing I can find is an EMPI which isn’t bent correctly. It’s a little wide.

Sheesh, you have raised a very good point, and one that I didn't think of! That's a pretty scary position to be in if it were to bend and get in the way, or even drag the ground, and cause other damage. I was thinking of it purely in a "skid-plate" type of way, but never thought of the bar itself failing. I may just take it off for now and see if I can find a lowered one.

I love the height of the car currently, but hate that the beam ends and adjustment bolt scrape on occasion. I've had lower cars in the past, but I've never had one that scrapes on every curb like this thing.

Any slammed guys out there have any advice, or is it not as big of a deal as it seems?

1968 Beetle
wrdrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

Grabbed a pic of the bug next to a stock super at cars and coffee last weekend. It's been really nice finally getting some time to drive this thing this year!

1968 Beetle
wrdrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

No major updates for now. I've just been driving and enjoying the car this past summer and fall and putting some miles on the new engine!

Here are some pictures of the car throughout the last few months:

A photographer at our big Indy cars & coffee event back in July took these and I found them on Instagram. He said this was his favorite car out of the hundreds in attendance, which I've gotta say felt pretty great!

Parked with some friends at a smaller cars & coffee event back in August:

One of the many driveway baths she got this summer:

Lots more to post, but I'll leave it at these for now!

1968 Beetle
jeff68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaky Clean 68 - Father/Son Project Reply with quote

Hey! Your car is very nice! I'm glad you're having fun with it. I read through your thread, great read & lots of fun. I'm glad you got your oil leak problem solved too.
I noticed the engine doesn't have the small factory breather box on the alternator stand. I couldn't see if you have a different breather box installed. If you don't, I'd consider finding one and installing it so that there is some crankcase ventilation. I know many people don't use the factory breather, but it's really a good idea to do so.
Have fun with your car!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: