Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

65 California Patina Sundial Kombi rust repair
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: 65 California Patina Sundial Kombi rust repair Reply with quote

A local buddy of mine picked up this killer Sundial Kombi. While the body is incredibly straight it suffered some bizarre rust in the front floor, doglegs, cargo rocker and battery tray. We are doing this in two stages, the first being the front floor and the doglegs along with the battery tray. After that he is making this a runner then removing all the cabinetry so I can tackle the rocker repair. I am going to try and save the outer passenger dogleg but the drivers side is too crispy!

on to the pics-

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

long side is out of this world straight!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: 65 California Patina Sundial Kombi rust repair Reply with quote

Hit it hard this morning, started at about 8:30AM and finished removing the floor and cleaned up at noon.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: 65 California Patina Sundial Kombi rust repair Reply with quote

Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 California Patina Sundial Kombi rust repair Reply with quote

See you got that full front fp this time Cool
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
western auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 California Patina Sundial Kombi rust repair Reply with quote

that bus is a prime candidate for the clr treatment
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 California Patina Sundial Kombi rust repair Reply with quote

for sure!! even though mother nature had removed some of the floor for me the rest of it came out nice with no extra surprises

Skim wrote:
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 California Patina Sundial Kombi rust repair Reply with quote

that's the plan! the body on this thing is just so incredibly straight, my buddy got a nice one!

western auto wrote:
that bus is a prime candidate for the clr treatment
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 California Patina Sundial Kombi rust repair Reply with quote

Looks good! Also those are some of the most common rust areas, not too bizarre at all. Good luck!!
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 California Patina Sundial Kombi rust repair Reply with quote

I probably should have clarified what I meant, the front floor for instance was swiss cheese but the long side rocker doesn't even have a pin hole in it. The cargo rocker is non existent but the rest of the cargo floor is great. Me and my buddy concluded it probably sat at an angle and water pooled in the front floor pan and then the rocker area. I dunno it was just sort of randomly rusted!

turkis-deluxe wrote:
Looks good! Also those are some of the most common rust areas, not too bizarre at all. Good luck!!
Laughing
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 California Patina Sundial Kombi rust repair Reply with quote

knocked out the passenger a pillar patch tonight and started trimming the dogleg, I am saving as much of this dogleg as I reasonably can

nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 California Patina Sundial Kombi rust repair Reply with quote

Skim wrote:

Im hoping to do my front floor soon. The corners are bad but the middle is solid except some little pinholes. Is it cleaner/better to just replace the entire floor while you are at it or would you consider just doing corners?
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: 65 California Patina Sundial Kombi rust repair Reply with quote

If center is good... I think not having to dick around with the heater pipe & shifter would be nice.

Sometimes the std size corner pieces are not quite enough & it makes more sense to buy the whole floor to piece out... let’s someone else weigh in though.
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: 65 California Patina Sundial Kombi rust repair Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing too with the heater pipe but it didn't take very much time to cut the tack welds and remove it. It is a little tedious drilling or grinding all the little spot welds that hold the floor on but you won't have to make two huge butt welds like you would with the floor patches so you'll save some time there.
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 California Patina Sundial Kombi rust repair Reply with quote

ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 California Patina Sundial Kombi rust repair Reply with quote

Inner dogleg

ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 California Patina Sundial Kombi rust repair Reply with quote

Inner valence was a little crispier than I thought so I am working that area now

ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 California Patina Sundial Kombi rust repair Reply with quote

had a snow day today, didn't take a lot of pictures but managed to get the floor fitted and ready to burn!

dschup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: 65 California Patina Sundial Kombi rust repair Reply with quote

Wow, I have a similar 65. Cant wait to see more pics, as mine is a blank slate on the interior.

If you don't mind sharing, what serial number is on your sundial plate? I'm curious how close ours are. I'll have to look at mine when I get home.
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: 65 California Patina Sundial Kombi rust repair Reply with quote

whoa twins!!

This one actually belongs to a local guy, Ill snap the serial number later this week. This one has quite a bit of interior left although most is going to get pulled so I can take care of the nasty cargo rocker. Not sure what his plans are for restoring/ replacing the sundial stuff.

I'm going to try and take in one bus at a time for metal work and see if I can turn this into a full time gig. I really enjoy this type of work and look forward to the next bus project! I won't be doing any bodywork/ paint just metal work for right now.

dschup wrote:
Wow, I have a similar 65. Cant wait to see more pics, as mine is a blank slate on the interior.

If you don't mind sharing, what serial number is on your sundial plate? I'm curious how close ours are. I'll have to look at mine when I get home.
dschup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 California Patina Sundial Kombi rust repair Reply with quote

The lower black Sundial plate on mine is S1414. Please take and post several interior pics if you have the chance.

Good luck with the metal work!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: