Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New, Ridiculous idea, Buggy Build. God help me.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: New, Ridiculous idea, Buggy Build. God help me. Reply with quote

Looks to me like you could still use that busted cylinder, if you:

(1) Smooth out all broken jaged edges, leave no potential crumbs.
(2) Swap busted cylinder & its piston from #3 to #4 (or #1). And,
(3) Consider all 4 ways the busted cyl can slide onto case studs,
go with best 1 in terms of where piston skirts would bottom out
relative to where missing liner would be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: New, Ridiculous idea, Buggy Build. God help me. Reply with quote

Hmm, on closer inspection, the liner appears to be ding'd in a bit at lower left corner of pic:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Any attempt to bump out that ding would probably break the metal. Might still work if the ding can be situated where there's no interference with piston skirts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: New, Ridiculous idea, Buggy Build. God help me. Reply with quote

It does look that way in the pick but in actuality there is no ding. I cleaned it all up for a better look and, other than the divot, it's round. A guy in the engine forum did make the point of do I want to run this risk for under $150? I was thinking in terms of time because I can't mount the body till the engine is done as I was doing the work on the car. Instead, I'm going to pull the motor today and mount the body, buy a new set tomorrow and do it right.

Time is the problem because I have to get it together and running to get the insurance on it and I need the insurance to transfer title. It is currently still on the previous owners collector policy as a 71 volks. I can't license it as a collector car without the collectors insurance first. I'm only in AZ for 12 more days and want this done before I take off. It's like those self imposed artificial deadlines on every car build reality show
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New, Ridiculous idea, Buggy Build. God help me. Reply with quote

On a different topic,due to frame geometry I have a fair angle at the flex disk in my steering. I'm not comfortable with the flex disk taking that angle and am wondering about changing it out for a u joint. It's a 1970 beetle box so should be 5/8 and 62 spline? Has anyone done this? I've seen many examples of dual couplers but I'm not interested in that, just the single u joint at the box as I am happy with the angle and position of the wheel at the seat.

Thoughts?
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New, Ridiculous idea, Buggy Build. God help me. Reply with quote

The body is on and bolted down! (exceot the hood, still waiting on steering shaft bearing)

rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New, Ridiculous idea, Buggy Build. God help me. Reply with quote

Immediate task list:

1- Finish sealing off the fire wall to the frame
2- Front face for rear deck behind the seats
3- Engine assembly and install
4- Fuel tank install. It will go on the rear deck behind the seats
5- Wire the thing. I have an ignition and charging circuit in place, nothing else
6- Windshield. Ordering a frame from Pacific Customs tomorrow. (unless someone knows a better source).
7- (optional) Because the fuel tank and battery box will be on the back shelf I want to build a cover for the back that is not too difficult to remove. It will sit flush with the top body line and the fuel filler will protrude through it. Probably add a luggage rack of some sort. Looking at it I really like the idea of a rear deck, bit of a roadster look.

I'm sure other stuff will come up, but that should about do it. I head back to the rain (seattle) on 2/1. Goal is to have it licensed and drive it before then.

I realize this is not anywhere near up to the apparent standards of most builders or owners on this site, and that's OK with me. The stuff most of you guys put out is unbelievable and if I built something like that I would be afraid to drive it the way I think they are meant to be driven. This buggy should be durable, reliable, reasonably presentable and if I crack the body on a rock somewhere I likely won't cry too hard or long. Considering where this project started three weeks ago I am a little dumbfounded it has come this far and looks even as good as it does, given the skill set of the builder. Smile
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New, Ridiculous idea, Buggy Build. God help me. Reply with quote

Don't be so hard on yourself, it look great!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New, Ridiculous idea, Buggy Build. God help me. Reply with quote

Double post

Last edited by oprn on Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:32 am; edited 1 time in total
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New, Ridiculous idea, Buggy Build. God help me. Reply with quote

Appreciate the sentiment oprn. You know how it is though, when it's your work you see everything that isn't perfect and everything you expediently chose not to do. Honestly, I am really happy with it so far and when it's finished (I know, they never really are) I think it will be a blast and I will thoroughly enjoy the heck out of it.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: New, Ridiculous idea, Buggy Build. God help me. Reply with quote

MrGoodtunes wrote:
Looks to me like you could still use that busted cylinder, if you:

(1) Smooth out all broken jaged edges, leave no potential crumbs.
(2) Swap busted cylinder & its piston from #3 to #4 (or #1). And,
(3) Consider all 4 ways the busted cyl can slide onto case studs,
go with best 1 in terms of where piston skirts would bottom out
relative to where missing liner would be.

Cylinders only slide on 2 ways The flat sides of the fins have to fit together. And, the bolt pattern of the head studs is not square.

Nice rescue

brad
aluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: New, Ridiculous idea, Buggy Build. God help me. Reply with quote

rbucklin wrote:
Appreciate the sentiment oprn. You know how it is though, when it's your work you see everything that isn't perfect and everything you expediently chose not to do. Honestly, I am really happy with it so far and when it's finished (I know, they never really are) I think it will be a blast and I will thoroughly enjoy the heck out of it.

And that is exactly what this hobby is all about.
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New, Ridiculous idea, Buggy Build. God help me. Reply with quote

Recommendations for gauges? I have one 4 1/4 hole, two 2" holes and a smattering of idiot light holes. I will use toggles for lights, high beams and flashers, a keyed three position ignition switch. Planning on speedo, tach, alternator light, oil pressure idiot light, oil or head temp gauge and volt meter. Open to any suggestions.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New, Ridiculous idea, Buggy Build. God help me. Reply with quote

Sounds about right.
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: New, Ridiculous idea, Buggy Build. God help me. Reply with quote

The hole is slightly too small for a stock VW speedo (my preference)
It's a 4 1/4'' diameter hole (odd size) and the two round ones are 2".

What do most of you use for gauges in the aftermarket? Looking for recommendations for reasonably priced aftermarket gauges that will fit the holes. the 2" ones are no problem, mainly looking for a speedometer/tach.

Thanks
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New, Ridiculous idea, Buggy Build. God help me. Reply with quote

Gas tank mounted, just need plumbing. Motor done with new pistons, liners and alternator converted. New CV boots. Everything about ready to install, hook up and fire up. Will do that today.

rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New, Ridiculous idea, Buggy Build. God help me. Reply with quote

And no, did not use the busted cylinder. I have three brand new 1641 piston/liners if anyone is looking...
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New, Ridiculous idea, Buggy Build. God help me. Reply with quote

Motor is in, gas tank is in, mounted secured and plumbed! First fire tomorrow, have to pick up a new coil before firing.

It's not much progress for one day, but the mighty redhead (son) and I also completely disassembled a tree that came down in the back yard and trimmed back the front yard shade tree that was invading neighbors airspace to the extent that I have been receiving mail about it from the HOA. My neighbors on the other hand, don;t car, they like the shade. Can not cross the HOA though so playtime with ladders and chainsaws. Smile
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New, Ridiculous idea, Buggy Build. God help me. Reply with quote

It's a runner!!! First start up after install of new pistons and liners. I realize, especially now after doing it, that it is a pretty simple job (unless you drop liners, forget to put in the bottom cooling fins the first time etc), but still, it's the first time I have gone that deep into an engine and reassembled it myself. The fact that it started immediately was fairly surprising. If it runs without mishap for more than a few hundred miles I'll consider it slightly miraculous. I took video of the start up and break in but apparently I can't upload it, too big. Sad

One issue I had was the oil filler neck. The alternator conversion kit did not include one. I asked the parts guy what I might need that was not included and the filler neck never came up. So, had to remove the neck from the generator stand and install it on the alternator stand. For this, had to sacrifice a large socket to the cause to make a tool to extract it with. Those things can be really gummed/rusted in there. After getting it out I wire brushed the whole thing and cleared coated it. I like the silver look alongside the new alternator.

Tomorrow I think we'll put the tires on it and take it around the block a couple times, then get to wiring the thing. Windshield frame is supposed to arrive tomorrow, glass on Monday. How much do you guys usually have to pay for glass? The shop here is talking about $150 or so. Would like to lower that cost somehow.

How does one get video on here?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New, Ridiculous idea, Buggy Build. God help me. Reply with quote

Those coil over shocks are going to kill your kidneys!

Otherwise good progress again! Exciting time - first drive!
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New, Ridiculous idea, Buggy Build. God help me. Reply with quote

Thanks oprn. Those shocks came on the car, i'm not super attached to them. Any suggestions? I do plan to drive this one off road a bit so a softer ride would be welcome. I put KYB on the Dune Runner (street only) and it rides a bit harsh.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: