Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Blown Engine :(
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Blown Engine :( Reply with quote

good move. I made many trips across the USA in my 1971 bus with no engine issues. Lost a headlight switch in AL in the middle of the night but everything else was always a joy.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Blown Engine :( Reply with quote

jacobcallaghan wrote:

My van does not have the mount for the oil bath and I will need to weld the metal plate back on. Does any one know any welders in bend?....

depending how it was removed you could bolt a donor on in place. when I remove them I drill the spot welds so you can bolt a new one on

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Blown Engine :( Reply with quote

Why wouldn’t you use the dual carbs you have?
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Blown Engine :( Reply with quote

I offer 75k of "I come to you and fix it for free if it was my fault" warranty on my engines. Problem is, my mom is my only client willing to pay the price. Laughing

It's also worth discussion "hard" or "soft" failures. Hard failures are acute failures that stop you dead and requires immediate attention, like a hole blown in a piston, rod poking out through the case, or a valve going through the headliner. Soft failures are things that allow you to drive on, like an aging engine slowly losing compression or oil pressure due to wear. Soft failures allow you to pick when and where the repairs/rebuilds are done.

I'm curious if other industry folks handle those scenarios differently regarding warranties.

Xevin wrote:
…Now that you going stock you might want to figure out the best carburetor and distributor set up. OEM German will be best. I gave you links to a resource earlier. Do Gary a favor. Don’t post up his build formula. People might chime in and Unfairly criticize it. In turn you will be second guessing the whole build process. Good luck.

We WILL need to know if the heads are single or dual port to recommend anything. Wink

[email protected] wrote:
Oh, and my warranty is one year, unlimited miles BTW.

That's tempting for me Wink
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Blown Engine :( Reply with quote

richparker wrote:

a single carb has less power but the engine will last a lot longer on a T1 engine. It is also an all weather carb whereas dual carbs often don't do well with large temperature swings. A set of dual carbs in a -5 temperature is very hard to get the engine to fire without either being too lean or flooding it. Typically a single carb is a lot quieter too.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Blown Engine :( Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
richparker wrote:

a single carb has less power but the engine will last a lot longer on a T1 engine.

Will it though? I would like to poke the metaphorical bear, and say that a 1600 with a 34pict3 and the same engine with dual Webers will last around the same amount IF the driver regulates the power output. I think the high-output T1's fall short when the drivers extract the surplus power frequently.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jacobcallaghan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Blown Engine :( Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
richparker wrote:

a single carb has less power but the engine will last a lot longer on a T1 engine. It is also an all weather carb whereas dual carbs often don't do well with large temperature swings. A set of dual carbs in a -5 temperature is very hard to get the engine to fire without either being too lean or flooding it. Typically a single carb is a lot quieter too.

Nail on the head. I spend a lot of time in cold environments. My dual carbs do not perform well. I don’t care about power. I really know just want a solid engine that will run good in many different environments and altitudes.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Blown Engine :( Reply with quote

jacobcallaghan wrote:
Here is an update!

Towed the bus to bend Oregon today. Dropped the van off to Gary at Young’s old volks home. He has been I business building air cooled for 45 years. His shop was Awsome. And he was equally as Awsome as a human. Excited to get building.

He is splitting the case tomorrow to see what has gone bad. He is going to have me drop by and take a look for myself. Hope the case is still good

We are going to go for a berry stock 1600 build with a single carb and oil bath intake. Should be going as close to stock as possible.

My van does not have the mount for the oil bath and I will need to weld the metal plate back on. Does any one know any welders in bend?

I will keep you guys updated on how it’s going.

Hey Jacob,

Great to talk to you the other day and glad you found something that will work for you.

If you need anything, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Roy

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Blown Engine :( Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
SGKent wrote:
to start. "Every Honda Genuine Remanufactured Part is backed nationwide for 3 years or 36,000 miles."

You made a statement that if he bought an engine from you it would last 75,000+ miles. Then you offered him 12,000 miles 1 year on a piece of paper. Either offer something tangible in writing or don't say your engines last 75,000 + miles. I was in business long enough to know that statements like you made get you into trouble. Say instead, I have sold some of these engines that have lasted 75,000 miles. Don't get into a pissing match over this.

Wow....just trying to answer some questions on here, if you want to pick apart my statements, you go right ahead.

Also, at least quote other VOLKSWAGEN AIRCOOLED ENGINE MANUFACTURERS warranties. A honda parts warranty has nothing to do with our discussion.

Oh, and my warranty is one year, unlimited miles BTW.

Have a great one Kent!!!

Then just say, we offer a 12 month unlimited mileage warranty on the long block, and drop it at that or give the potential buyers a page with some testimonials on it by bus owners who have owned your engines for 75,000 miles. That said, in this day and age were it me I would pencil out a longer term prorated warranty.

Hey Kent,

Not sure where the hate for me is coming from BUT I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I don't believe that only my engine will should go 75,000+ miles; I believe ANY properly built and tuned engine should go that far. Of course, there are a couple requirement like a new case, counterweighted crank, CR 8.5 or less, timing at 27 degrees total advance, proper valve adjustments and oil changes and proper fuel mixture. I build 1776's and 2110's every other week to be installed in buses. As for customer testimonials, check out the cover of VolksAmerica Issue #9 for my most recent and public endorsement of my engines. Jim Share drove one of my 1776 project streetwise engines over 100,000 miles across the country and back in his bus. Then, without ever disassembling the longblock, transferred it to his baja bug and is still driving it. This shows not only what my engines can do BUT how well my Made in the USA heads perform and my exclusive hydraulic lifters hold up.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jacobcallaghan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Blown Engine :( Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
jacobcallaghan wrote:
Here is an update!

Towed the bus to bend Oregon today. Dropped the van off to Gary at Young’s old volks home. He has been I business building air cooled for 45 years. His shop was Awsome. And he was equally as Awsome as a human. Excited to get building.

He is splitting the case tomorrow to see what has gone bad. He is going to have me drop by and take a look for myself. Hope the case is still good

We are going to go for a berry stock 1600 build with a single carb and oil bath intake. Should be going as close to stock as possible.

My van does not have the mount for the oil bath and I will need to weld the metal plate back on. Does any one know any welders in bend?

I will keep you guys updated on how it’s going.

Hey Jacob,

Great to talk to you the other day and glad you found something that will work for you.

If you need anything, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Roy

Thanks Roy! It was a pleasure talking to you and your team. It really seems like you do great work. Thanks for everything!

Thanks everyone on the forum. You guys rock!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Blown Engine :( Reply with quote

Couple of things.

You’ll need to probably locate someone who’s cutting up a bus to get the air cleaner stand. I’ve done this a couple of times. It will need to be welded in place probably.

Next, don’t let your engine builder put a Chinese copy of the single Solex and a 009 distributor on there. Get good German stuff. If you need help just ask
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jacobcallaghan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Blown Engine :( Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Couple of things.

You’ll need to probably locate someone who’s cutting up a bus to get the air cleaner stand. I’ve done this a couple of times. It will need to be welded in place probably.

Next, don’t let your engine builder put a Chinese copy of the single Solex and a 009 distributor on there. Get good German stuff. If you need help just ask

Thank you! My engine builder gave me a oil bath plate which is awesome! We are doing a rebuilt 009 and a rebuilt German solex. No Chinese. He has a lot of parts laying around his shop. Stoked on this guy!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Blown Engine :( Reply with quote

jacobcallaghan wrote:
aeromech wrote:
Couple of things.

Thank you! My engine builder gave me a oil bath plate which is awesome! We are doing a rebuilt 009 and a rebuilt German solex. No Chinese. He has a lot of parts laying around his shop. Stoked on this guy!

try to find a good single vacuum advance distributor instead of the 009. If it is a 34 pict 3 carb with dual port then a DVDA will work too. That said, an 009 will work but not quite be as smooth.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Blown Engine :( Reply with quote

No offense to your guy or you this is just something to think about.

A rebuilt German Solex might only mean that the gaskets are new and a $20 kit was used. The throttle shaft bushings might be all worn out and leaking. That's why we mostly recommend a carb that's from Volkzbitz. You should research them.

Also,
These days, most of us don't recommend the 009 even if it's an original Bosch when matched to the 34pict-3 carb. Will it work, yes. Is it the best choice, no. You'd be better off with either the original DVDA or SVDA distributor.

I am assuming that your new engine will be a dual port
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Blown Engine :( Reply with quote

Maybe your builder will be nice enough that we can show you any aftermarket parts, or missing parts?

If you have the time to dress down your new motor with 100% of the OG German tin, it will last longer.

VERY few of these motors still have all of the cooling tin in place.

Maybe 1 in 100 has a properly working thermostat.

So few are seen that many leave the stuff off.

If you want your stuff to last, go source it all out while the motor is still apart(!)

Here's some of the unobtanium being made new now --->
http://awesomepowdercoat.com/

What’s That Noise?!?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Blown Engine :( Reply with quote

To the OP,
Please note that you will get dinged for every piece of chiny China bling-bling.

Not just from us here,
But by that cruel hand of fate/time..

Razz

What’s That Noise?!?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Blown Engine :( Reply with quote

Aftermarket pulleys throw belts and wear out and waller cases and run crooked.

Aftermarket fan shrouds leak air and don't cool evenly and lose vanes inside (if they even have them).

Aftermarket oil fillers leak oil, don't vent correctly.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

VERY few of the parts made today are of comparable quality to the stuff made in Germany long ago,
Not just in dimensional accuracy, but especially in metallurgy and design.

Only little tin tidbits like in the link i sent are going to be close enough to work well.

VERY glad to see you putting on an oil bath cleaner.

Keep going wih that theme...

What’s That Noise?!?
jacobcallaghan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Blown Engine :( Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Maybe your builder will be nice enough that we can show you any aftermarket parts, or missing parts?

If you have the time to dress down your new motor with 100% of the OG German tin, it will last longer.

VERY few of these motors still have all of the cooling tin in place.

Maybe 1 in 100 has a properly working thermostat.

So few are seen that many leave the stuff off.

If you want your stuff to last, go source it all out while the motor is still apart(!)

Here's some of the unobtanium being made new now --->
http://awesomepowdercoat.com/

Thanks! I actually just bought a new thermostat and flaps from Awsome powder coat.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Blown Engine :( Reply with quote

I’d like to see a picture of your engine and also the new oil bath you’re getting. I’ll be gentle, I promise
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Blown Engine :( Reply with quote

So after the OP gets his engine back with the 009/"rebuilt" 34PICT combo, is everyone ready to reply to the "why do I have the huge flat spot and/or crappy gas mileage" question?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: