Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.1L Vanagon automatic starter in a '75 and earlier Bay
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: 2.1L Vanagon automatic starter in a '75 and earlier Bay Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone has successfully used a '86 and later Vanagon automatic starter on a '75 or earlier Bay with a manual tranny. If so, did everything fit right out of the box?

Just looking for cheap reliable cranking HP.

Last edited by Wildthings on Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1L Vanagon automatic starter Reply with quote

I have never had trouble with any VW starter failing to turn a motor on my 1971 or 1977. The only thing that ever went bad on mine were the solenoid, or the pivot screw wore out.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1L Vanagon automatic starter Reply with quote

The watercoold Vanagon starters are a couple of decades newer than an early Bay starter, and likely haven't been abused as bad. Lots of reasons to want to go with something newer that also puts out more HP as part of the bargain.

I long ago bumped my early watercooled Vanagon (manual tranny) up to the later watercooled Vanagon manual transmission starter as it not only put out more HP, but was cheaper and more readily available. The possible problem with the watercooled Vanagon starter is the clocking of the solenoid. I don't think the Bay starter will fit the Vanagon, but the Vanagon WBX starter may fit the Bay.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1L Vanagon automatic starter Reply with quote

Mike - Whatever you want to use in your cars is totally your choice.

I was just commenting that I have seen a lot of Bosch starters fail because of the solenoid getting sticky or worn out. I have seen Marelli starters throw solder. I have seen Ford and Chevy starters swell up and seize when hot but I have never seen a Bosch starter that wore out brushes or an armature unless the bushing went away in the bell housing if the starter was the kind that needed a bell housing bushing.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1L Vanagon automatic starter Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Mike - Whatever you want to use in your cars is totally your choice.

Choice isn't the correct word. When I lost an alternator bearing in my Vanagon 10 ish years ago in Ely, NV it didn't choose to and to get going again without having to wait several days for a Bosch alternator to arrive because none were stocked locally I spent the morning altering the stock mounting so I could fit a Delco and be on my way, and last summer I didn't choose for the brushes to decide to fail on my Thing in West Yellowstone which could have left me sitting for days waiting for replacement generator to show up, instead I bought a second battery, ganged it in, and kept going. If myself or someone else loses a starter and no place local has one, it would be nice to know that the junk Vanagon I saw a couple of miles back could be used as a parts source.

Some of us aren't afraid of using our old rigs to travel the west and it is nice to know all our options when things don't go perfectly.
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1L Vanagon automatic starter in a '75 and earlier Bay Reply with quote

Why not use an even newer TDI starter? The adaptor to bolt these to older air cooled transmissions are readily available. I'm using this on my Subi swapped Bus. Doesn't even flinch turning over the high comp 2.5L, and I was able to get an actual Bosch starter.

Maybe not the "cheap" option you are looking for, but a good quality high power starter none the less.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1L Vanagon automatic starter in a '75 and earlier Bay Reply with quote

where would one find said adapter plate? better yet, post a link?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1L Vanagon automatic starter in a '75 and earlier Bay Reply with quote

I really want something that I or others could use to get a rig going that was sitting in a FLAPS parking lot at 4 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon. I have no interest at all in something that needs to be ordered and that I would have to wait days to get.

The Vanagon Automatic starter might be a viable option for all '75 and earlier Bays (and later automatics) and the Vanagon manual starter might be a viable option for '76 and later Bays. Whether they will fit the Bay without the solenoid bumping into something or some other hard to surmount problem is the only question I have any interest in being answered. Heck if there was a starter off of a Rabbit or some other VW product that was common enough and would bolt up and work that would be fine as well.
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1L Vanagon automatic starter in a '75 and earlier Bay Reply with quote

I'm using one of the TDI starters with an adapter plate which I think I ordered from Westy Ventures is memory serves but it's available from many places.

http://www.westyventures.com/parts.html
https://www.vancafe.com/WV-001-p/wv-001.htm
http://www.busdepot.com/mt1

Just went and started the bus since it's been sitting. 32 Degrees. Cranks over so enthusiastically it's almost startling.

I made the switch because the quality of rebuilds for the stock starter had been going downhill, so this was my way to pay now instead of crying later. These TDI starters are very available anywhere.
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1L Vanagon automatic starter in a '75 and earlier Bay Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I really want something that I or others could use to get a rig going that was sitting in a FLAPS parking lot at 4 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon. I have no interest at all in something that needs to be ordered and that I would have to wait days to get.

The TDI starter fits the bill for that. Once you get the adaptor once, you're good to go for any future starter changes.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1L Vanagon automatic starter in a '75 and earlier Bay Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
where would one find said adapter plate? better yet, post a link?

WhirledTraveler posted links above. I bought mine from Bus Depot, and the starter from Rock Auto.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1L Vanagon automatic starter in a '75 and earlier Bay Reply with quote

My TDI Golf has 255k with the original starter. I would think with such a low compression engine compared to the TDI, it should last almost forever in a bus.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: