Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Compression Test
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danielitodiaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Compression Test Reply with quote

Hi everybody, I just finished to do a compression test in my 1700 VW engine and three cylinders show 100 plus and one showed 0....maybe the valves are open in that cylinder and loose compression ? or what else could be ? Thanks Daniel
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: COMPRESSION TEST Reply with quote

Danielitodiaz wrote:
what else could be ? Thanks Daniel

Bad rings or a hold in the cylinder.

Check the valves. And make sure the carb throttle plate is open when you crank it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: COMPRESSION TEST Reply with quote

Plug compressed air* into the plug hole for the dead cylinder, and go listen at the intake, the exhaust, and the breather, then you'll have more info.

On those engines, check the valve heights, seats have a bad habit of sinking or popping out.

My bet is an exhaust valve has a piece missing like someone stole a slice of pie.

* you can make this by breaking the ceramic out of a spark plug, a length of tube, cuz it's a type 4, a compressed air coupling and some welding or brazing. If that's not possible, try finding a length of tubing and blow.
Danielitodiaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: COMPRESSION TEST Reply with quote

need to pull down engine to fix it? Sad
Danielitodiaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: COMPRESSION TEST Reply with quote

just finished to replace the push rod tubes (used the spring loaded ones) maybe did something wrong when I put it back together?? didn't change rod position
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: COMPRESSION TEST Reply with quote

Danielitodiaz wrote:
just finished to replace the push rod tubes (used the spring loaded ones) maybe did something wrong when I put it back together?? didn't change rod position

But you re-set the proper valve clearances when you did that, right?
Danielitodiaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: COMPRESSION TEST Reply with quote

sometime back a mechanic rebuilt the engine, after some driving, the car start to sound funny(like something was not running properly, was missing something) The car is a replica Porsche 356 and the original owner exchanged the engine for a high performance (Two Dellorto carburetors) one. I took it to another mechanic and he told me that the first mechanic , when rebuilt the engine, didn't adjusted the carburetors and raw unburnt gasoline washed the cylinder wall.... I didn't believed, but now I have my doubts
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: COMPRESSION TEST Reply with quote

Danielitodiaz wrote:

Hold it...what? Are we both talking about a 1700 type 4? I guess not, because those don't have expandable push rod tubes. Or do they now?
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: COMPRESSION TEST Reply with quote

Danielitodiaz wrote:
sometime back a mechanic rebuilt the engine, after some driving, the car start to sound funny(like something was not running properly, was missing something) The car is a replica Porsche 356 and the original owner exchanged the engine for a high performance (Two Dellorto carburetors) one. I took it to another mechanic and he told me that the first mechanic , when rebuilt the engine, didn't adjusted the carburetors and raw unburnt gasoline washed the cylinder wall.... I didn't believed, but now I have my doubts

Ha ha, we're crossing messages. You can put some oil into the dead cylinder, and see if your compression reading changes, but even bad rings generally show SOME compression, not zero.
Danielitodiaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: COMPRESSION TEST Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: COMPRESSION TEST Reply with quote

Looks like the #1 intake pushrod tube is missing a seal and already leaking oil.
Danielitodiaz wrote:

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: COMPRESSION TEST Reply with quote

Do those seals even go there? Thought they had o rings inside.
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Compression Test Reply with quote

Yes, those seals go there. Three per tube, no o-rings. My moneys says you need to retorque your heads. Mine came loose and lost all compression on 3+4.
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Compression Test Reply with quote

Those end seals do not go there in the middle. The O-rings are inside the tubing. Should be a washer on end of those springs pushing on the outer tube.

The concave seals only go on each end. Not middle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danielitodiaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Compression Test Reply with quote

Found the problem !!! valves in cylinder 2 were open!!! was loosing compression thru valves....adjusted valves, rechecked compression and all cylinders read 120 or plus....put it back and replaced valve covers....both of them leaked....used some gasket maker and stop leaking. Now I'm rebuilding the Dellorto 36 dual carburetors and encounter another problem... when I try to remove the fuel pump jets(the two screws on the body side) the top part come off but the jets still inside the carburetor...a can't get them out(little springs come out) supposed to be like that or is a way to how to remove the jets to clean it out??Anybody? Thanks, Daniel
Danielitodiaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Compression Test Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
Those end seals do not go there in the middle. The O-rings are inside the tubing. Should be a washer on end of those springs pushing on the outer tube.

The concave seals only go on each end. Not middle.

No , no in this type of tubes....found a message in this board about this kind of tubes "don't buy them"!!! but was to late....they are really cheap...and they will leak....the seal in the middle broke before I started the engine
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Compression Test Reply with quote

The acel jet holders. Can be difficult to remove.
I use the biggest screw driver in my tool box. Mine have a hex area near the handle. So I can get an assist with a wrench on the screw driver. When those jet holders come loose. You can hear an audible snap.

If you have a heat gun. try that on the carb body. A little! Not allot.

Good Luck.
I misread the post. Try to gently push the jets out of the body from the aux vernturi side. Be careful not to damage the Aux vents.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Danielitodiaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Compression Test Reply with quote

Danielitodiaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Compression Test Reply with quote

they are marked as "idle jets"
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Compression Test Reply with quote

Danielitodiaz wrote:

That is a Weber diagram. Not Dellorto. They are defiantly not the same carbs.
Dellorto carbs have the accel pump jets in that location.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: