Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Let's Talk Exhaust - Building My Own
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Let's Talk Exhaust - Building My Own Reply with quote

Alright so it was a busy 2018 and I didn't get much VW time in so my motor currently stands as it was in my last topic (https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=672230) though I have decided to start properly setting some money aside to buy some panchitos heads and along with that I would like to improve my exhaust. (Currently stock heater boxes with a 1-3/8" tri-mil header/muffler.)

If you don't want to read through that thread the motor is a 76mm x 90.5 (1956cc) T1 block setup with T3 tins and cooling for my square back.
Cam is a CB 2250 and stock ratio rockers.
Heads will be a set of Los Panchitos.

I've got the welding and fab skills to physically get it together but I want to get some input regarding the design of it.

First off, I have easy access to sanitary stainless tubing but it's only really available in either 1", 1.5" or 2". I would assume that 1.5" would be pretty good for a 1956cc motor but want to confirm. I think 1-5/8" would be too big for this motor anyways even if I could get it?

For connections I plan on using sanitary tri-clamps with hi-temp gaskets so that I can rotate bits around if it's ever on a different motor that's a little wider or narrower. Nothing fancy there, but easy for me to get and easy to usel.

For the actual design I'm not sure about tri-Y or just straight 4-1 header. Thoughts?

If I went tri-Y my thought is bring both ports to meet in the middle under each head then 90 them back to another Y just behind the sump plate. I know that's not a proper tri-Y where opposing firing ports join at the first Y's but looking for feedback.

Another theoretical question is for an equal length header, does the length matter or is the volume of the leg what it's about? AKA could I use some reducers and larger tubing for a section and have a shorter leg with the same volume and have it work well?

Finally (for now, every answer will bring new questions I'm sure.) I plan on making my own heat exchangers. Hoping to keep it fairly simple and weld on some strips as fins outside the 1.5" tubing and then splitting some 2" or 2.5" tubing and clamping or welding or somehow affixing it around the fins and running up to some heater box flapper boxes. Any tips on this from past experience etc?

Now go ahead and school me on this, I'm ready to learn and have plenty of time before I actually get around to this. (Probably be a few months before I can buy the heads) Or if there are other good threads/videos/etc regarding this please point me their direction.

-Derek
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Exhaust - Building My Own Reply with quote

Did you read this one?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=708541
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Exhaust - Building My Own Reply with quote

You trying to save money or just wanting to be different?

There are headers out there already proven... and they look freaking awesome. IN any flavor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Exhaust - Building My Own Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
You trying to save money or just wanting to be different?

Either reason is valid in my books but in this case I think lack of selection is also likely a good reason too.

nsracing wrote:
There are headers out there already proven... and they look freaking awesome. IN any flavor.

There really is not that many out there for type 3 cars, and looks is only important to those that lay under their square back and stare up.

To the OP, good on you for having the ambition to build your own! Your challenge is not an easy one to design a system that works well and retains some form of heat for the cabin. The tri-y fascinates me, the theory is good for a driver. Most current systems are based on the need to get down the 1/4 mile track at rpms not normally seen in real life.

On my current exhaust system I was aiming at a tri-y but stopped one step short. While it is working well for me as is I still may complete that step to satisfy my curiosity.

The tri-y is discussed in a couple other threads too as well as the one Modoc posted.
nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Exhaust - Building My Own Reply with quote

Modok, I have but I read through it again and it looks like a lot has been added since I last read it. I’ll keep tabs on that one, looks like a good discussion.

I’d like to save money, be different, and I like building things. And like oprn mentions type 3 systems are not as available as T1.

It sounds like the tri-Y would be the most difficult but most rewarding on the low end which is where it’s important in the heavy squareback.
I’ll try to find some other threads to read through too.
Any input on the equal leg vs equal volume?
With tri-Y would the second leg (after the first Y) need to be equal to 2x the 1.5” tubing? Or since only one cylinder is exhausting at a time would keeping it 1.5” through to the final Y be okay?

-Derek
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Exhaust - Building My Own Reply with quote

Although there is only one primary exhausting at a time, there is still a significant pressure wave traveling through the primary that is not exhausting. So, there is a good deal more volume flowing through that secondary branch than there is in the exhausting primary alone.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021

Last edited by Vanapplebomb on Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Exhaust - Building My Own Reply with quote

I would recomemnd not usint stock ratio rockers with that .420 lobe camshaft. i would use the 1.34 ratio ( 1.25 with the adjuster on the pushrod side of the rocker, and curved foot on the valve end.) thats too much lift for the 1.1 rocker saftly. I have over 120000 miles on that cam&1.34 rocker combo with no issues at all, and set the rocker side play at .003, lower the rocker's .040 ( cut the rocker shaft blocks.040-.050" shorter). use lash caps. cut flats on the pushrod ends at the holes, and deburr the pushrod cut hole. add oiling groove inside the rocker bushing going down about 1" long in a C or S shape from the oil hole staying 1/4" from rocker sides. do not groove the top side!! good luck and have fun.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Exhaust - Building My Own Reply with quote

My best configuration with the longtube tri-y so far, shooting for about 5500-6k shift point, is
1.5x 30-32 primaries,
1.75x 14 secondaries,
2 1/8 straight collector into muffler

I tried....longer secondaries, smaller and larger secondaries, stepped and reverse stepped secondaries, and 2 and 2 1/4 final size, and fancy collectors shapes..... have not tired stepped primaries yet but that is next on the list, I have not tried shorter secondaries but I prefer to stick near 1/2 primary length, or at least 1/3 of it, to make it kick in strong and early......tho you can do very short secondaries and achieve a kind of different effect.

it may be that smaller diameter secondaries could work IF I could make the primaries shorter, but....... it's not really possible to make them any shorter.

If you change the tri-y so the other cylinders are paired, it acts very different, and to get into the same RPm range you will need much LONGER primaries believe it or not, which is a curse and a blessing Laughing yes even longer than the formula V ones!....because of the CAM duration. Would be interested to see how that works, very few people doing that, but that's probably not what you want to do this time, at least for this application.
nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Exhaust - Building My Own Reply with quote

Mark, I was hoping to avoid that expense but it would probably help wake up the motor even better and since it'll be out of the car already I might as well. I just read through the slipper foot geometry thread and think I can manage getting those setup properly. I'll add those and new pushrods into the budget.

Modok, how does that configuration feel on the low end? Sounds like it's not too high a shift point so that should play well with the heavier car keeping the torque and power down lower?
Those dimensions help a lot as it gives me something to shoot for when I build it, so thank you for putting the effort to testing and seeing what works best.

-Derek
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Exhaust - Building My Own Reply with quote

not really for waking it up but so it will work and last. as far as the tri Y header....where is the 4th tube going to go Shocked Rolling Eyes Wink
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Exhaust - Building My Own Reply with quote

nogoodwithusernames wrote:
Mark, I was hoping to avoid that expense but it would probably help wake up the motor even better and since it'll be out of the car already I might as well. I just read through the slipper foot geometry thread and think I can manage getting those setup properly. I'll add those and new pushrods into the budget.

If you're going to use those style rockers. Get the Scat rockers. They are better quality than the AA rockers that I originally bought.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Exhaust - Building My Own Reply with quote

I like to build headers, I have built at least 2 dozen sidepipe headers for 427 Cobra's while working for a Shelby dealer at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. I would like to build a header for my class 11 look a like that gives a bit more ground clearance one of these days, I found the best place to buy bends at this place...

http://www.mandrelbends.com/
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Exhaust - Building My Own Reply with quote

I like the cb oe type rockers over the others...but not for a .420 lobe or more.IMHO a .380 lobe is pushing it for that style rocker to "work", but the bugpoop/empi cheep sliper foot would be my choice...like what I run..for long time.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Exhaust - Building My Own Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
not really for waking it up but so it will work and last. as far as the tri Y header....where is the 4th tube going to go Shocked Rolling Eyes Wink

You were kidding, right?
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Exhaust - Building My Own Reply with quote

I also built my own headers. I have an odd app and the desire to be different also. Mine wound up being a 4 into 2 split header. It seems to work, but I dont have anything to compare it to. I did get on a wheel dyno once and made good numbers. But since then I have changed a good bit of stuff with the tuning. I have become more concerned with making it fun to drive instead of peak hp on a dyno.

So with a 2387 and fk10.
1-5/8 out of head for the first few inches.
Then an anti reversion can.
Then 1-3/4 short tube (calculated length using online sources) of 34" long from valve.
Then a steep tri-y style (2 into 1) with a 2" collector.
Then a 2-1/2 anti reversion can with a 2" outlet.

It made good numbers.....but nothing to compare it to......would it make better with a store bought header? I will never know (wont fit) and I am happy with the results.

Bottom line.....if you like building headers and want to give it a go.....then by all means do it....make something that is yours and will make you happy.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Exhaust - Building My Own Reply with quote

DeathBySnuSnu wrote:
I have become more concerned with making it fun to drive instead of peak hp on a dyno.

What a refreshing perspective! Peak HP and fastest 1/4 mile times do not necessarily make for a driver friendly vehicle. It's taken me a lot of years to get my head around that!

My cousin just spent 8 years building a 460 powered AC Cobra replica with lots of tricks. Somewhere north of 600 HP, 5 speed standard. Wicked fast! After trying to drive it a few times he sold it this fall, he did not enjoy driving it on the street and his wife hated it! He regrets not putting a mild 302 in it. The car would have been much more drivable.

My neighbor has a '64 Chevy II with a built for the track 396. No strip anywhere near hear to run it on and it is a bit of a pig on the street, hard to even leave a set of lights without a tire spinning, neck snapping launch the way the tranny and torque converter is set up so it sits in his garage and collects dust.

My Buggy is way short of it's power potential by the standards most VW guys go by but it has a smoother power curve than the brand new factory GMG truck my employer gave me to drive. It's the car of choice for every member of the family on a nice summer day. That to me is success!

DeathBySnuSnu wrote:
Bottom line.....if you like building headers and want to give it a go.....then by all means do it....make something that is yours and will make you happy.

100%!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Exhaust - Building My Own Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:
I like to build headers, I have built at least 2 dozen sidepipe headers for 427 Cobra's while working for a Shelby dealer at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. I would like to build a header for my class 11 look a like that gives a bit more ground clearance one of these days, I found the best place to buy bends at this place...

http://www.mandrelbends.com/

^^^ Do these guys sell retail? They are just a few miles away from my house.
I found their website a few nights ago. I'm looking for some mandrel bends for a turbo header I have planned.

Problem is, I cannot find any supplier that carries 1 3/8" bends, tubing and the correct flanges.

Our local muffler shop can order 1 3/8" flanges. But they don't have a tubing bender that small. Only 1 1/2".

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Exhaust - Building My Own Reply with quote

I have found that muffler shop bends have a huge radius anyway. Impossible to make a compact system with their bends.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Exhaust - Building My Own Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I have found that muffler shop bends have a huge radius anyway. Impossible to make a compact system with their bends.

Agreed. If I cannot find 1 3/8". I'll be forced to go 1 1/2".

The planned build is a 1600. So, I'm not sure if 1 1/2" is too large for this size engine. If it makes a difference. For this application.

Sorry OP. I'm not trying to hijack your thread.

DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Exhaust - Building My Own Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
DeathBySnuSnu wrote:
I have become more concerned with making it fun to drive instead of peak hp on a dyno.

What a refreshing perspective! Peak HP and fastest 1/4 mile times do not necessarily make for a driver friendly vehicle. It's taken me a lot of years to get my head around that!

My cousin just spent 8 years building a 460 powered AC Cobra replica with lots of tricks. Somewhere north of 600 HP, 5 speed standard. Wicked fast! After trying to drive it a few times he sold it this fall, he did not enjoy driving it on the street and his wife hated it! He regrets not putting a mild 302 in it. The car would have been much more drivable.

My neighbor has a '64 Chevy II with a built for the track 396. No strip anywhere near hear to run it on and it is a bit of a pig on the street, hard to even leave a set of lights without a tire spinning, neck snapping launch the way the tranny and torque converter is set up so it sits in his garage and collects dust.

My Buggy is way short of it's power potential by the standards most VW guys go by but it has a smoother power curve than the brand new factory GMG truck my employer gave me to drive. It's the car of choice for every member of the family on a nice summer day. That to me is success!

DeathBySnuSnu wrote:

100%!

Well I am that old motorhead guy that thinks it is fun to drive something that is overpowered. What someone thinks of as enjoyable is different. I probably have given up some peak, but have broadened out the torque. It may not have as much at the peak....but the smile is much wider when I get there.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: