Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Let's Talk Exhaust - Building My Own
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Exhaust - Building My Own Reply with quote

I have a whole pile of 1 3/8 stainless J bends, I get them from summit or jegs.
What i still cannot find is aluminized 1 3/8, but that's ok maybe stainless is better for that part of the header.

A lot of VWs have a problem where they run too cool around 3200 rpm, and too hot around 4000 rpm, because of how the header tunes in and out. i was able to reverse that so now it runs about the same temp all through.

Also, far as "success", if you get the secondary and collector sizes just right or a little conservative side, should be able to engage the clutch at idle, THEN floor it, and should pull up smooth all the way to redline with no hickups.
So many engines CAN"T do that that guys think it's impossible.....but actually it IS possible, although not necessarily needed, it is possible and a lot being able to do that is in the header.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Exhaust - Building My Own Reply with quote

Just a little problem on my side of the rockies.
I have a mig welder. Not tig. I also have no purge setup for clean welds on the I.D. of the stainless tubing. It's likely not real healty for a turbo to ingest chunks of "burnt sugar" from unpurged stainless welds.
modok wrote:
I have a whole pile of 1 3/8 stainless J bends, I get them from summit or jegs.
What i still cannot find is aluminized 1 3/8, but that's ok maybe stainless is better for that part of the header.

A lot of VWs have a problem where they run too cool around 3200 rpm, and too hot around 4000 rpm, because of how the header tunes in and out. i was able to reverse that so now it runs about the same temp all through.

Also, far as "success", if you get the secondary and collector sizes just right or a little conservative side, should be able to engage the clutch at idle, THEN floor it, and should pull up smooth all the way to redline with no hickups.
So many engines CAN"T do that that guys think it's impossible.....but actually it IS possible, although not necessarily needed, it is possible and a lot being able to do that is in the header.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Exhaust - Building My Own Reply with quote

buy/build an expander, flare the end of one tube, and do lap welds.
saw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Exhaust - Building My Own Reply with quote

67rust, yes I have bought a couple exhaust bends over the counter at Columbia River Mandrel Bending. They are located in downtown St. Helens. I just gave them a call and they said stop by office and talk to them.

So not sure if they are really a retail play but it worked for me.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Exhaust - Building My Own Reply with quote

modok wrote:
buy/build an expander, flare the end of one tube, and do lap welds.
many ss headers are done that way to save $$$ done with a mig .dosent look as good but works great. if your good with a mig you can make a very very nice ss weld.I first started migging ss about 30 years ago. anti reversion chambers can also be built into the tubes for long exhaust duration cams to help with pulling ex back in at lower rpm.
nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Exhaust - Building My Own Reply with quote

DeathBySnuSnu wrote:
I also built my own headers. I have an odd app and the desire to be different also. Mine wound up being a 4 into 2 split header. It seems to work, but I dont have anything to compare it to. I did get on a wheel dyno once and made good numbers. But since then I have changed a good bit of stuff with the tuning. I have become more concerned with making it fun to drive instead of peak hp on a dyno.

So with a 2387 and fk10.
1-5/8 out of head for the first few inches.
Then an anti reversion can.
Then 1-3/4 short tube (calculated length using online sources) of 34" long from valve.
Then a steep tri-y style (2 into 1) with a 2" collector.
Then a 2-1/2 anti reversion can with a 2" outlet.

It made good numbers.....but nothing to compare it to......would it make better with a store bought header? I will never know (wont fit) and I am happy with the results.

Bottom line.....if you like building headers and want to give it a go.....then by all means do it....make something that is yours and will make you happy.

Have any photos of that? Sounds interesting. And what did you mean by the 1-3/4" short tube? 34" long doesn't sound so short to me Laughing Also do you have a link to the mysterious online source you used for calculations?

I'm all for easy and fun to drive, and what Modok mentions about the smooth power from idle to redline sounds fantastic if I can achieve that! Twisted Evil

-Derek
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Exhaust - Building My Own Reply with quote

nogoodwithusernames wrote:
I'm all for easy and fun to drive, and what Modok mentions about the smooth power from idle to redline sounds fantastic if I can achieve that! Twisted Evil

You can! I did first try and I'm not all that bright! Wink
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Exhaust - Building My Own Reply with quote

nogoodwithusernames wrote:
DeathBySnuSnu wrote:
I also built my own headers. I have an odd app and the desire to be different also. Mine wound up being a 4 into 2 split header. It seems to work, but I dont have anything to compare it to. I did get on a wheel dyno once and made good numbers. But since then I have changed a good bit of stuff with the tuning. I have become more concerned with making it fun to drive instead of peak hp on a dyno.

So with a 2387 and fk10.
1-5/8 out of head for the first few inches.
Then an anti reversion can.
Then 1-3/4 short tube (calculated length using online sources) of 34" long from valve.
Then a steep tri-y style (2 into 1) with a 2" collector.
Then a 2-1/2 anti reversion can with a 2" outlet.

It made good numbers.....but nothing to compare it to......would it make better with a store bought header? I will never know (wont fit) and I am happy with the results.

Bottom line.....if you like building headers and want to give it a go.....then by all means do it....make something that is yours and will make you happy.

Have any photos of that? Sounds interesting. And what did you mean by the 1-3/4" short tube? 34" long doesn't sound so short to me Laughing Also do you have a link to the mysterious online source you used for calculations?

Somewhere around here https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=200

Remember I said I had an odd app.

If I remember right.....Wallace racing......Grumpys......Precision moto.
I even had a phone app or two.

All this has to be adjusted for a VW.
I worked mine towards motorcycle style because of the IR intakes.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Exhaust - Building My Own Reply with quote

were did you get the infrared intakes?? how do they work?? can you see them in the day light?do they glow at night? does it look like your cars are flying?
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Exhaust - Building My Own Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
were did you get the infrared intakes?? how do they work?? can you see them in the day light?do they glow at night? does it look like your cars are flying?

Do seem to work......not to sure about flying.....does look like someone might have been high.....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Exhaust - Building My Own Reply with quote

Shocked Not behind the wheel I hope! Laughing
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Exhaust - Building My Own Reply with quote

many dont know what IR intakes are.
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Exhaust - Building My Own Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:

Infra red intakes - of course. They suck in infra red light to warm up the engine.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Talk Exhaust - Building My Own Reply with quote

Volks Wagen wrote:
mark tucker wrote:

Infra red intakes - of course. They suck in infra red light to warm up the engine.

Glowing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: