Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Super Beetle Resurrection
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle Resurrection Reply with quote

Thanks offtherailz! That was my thinking too. I didn't want to do anything too crazy in terms of mods. In fact, I thought about doing Fuchs wheels on this and may if I do not like the look of the Turtle Backs that I have for the car. I wanted to keep it in the VW family-so yes, the color is not correct for the year, but its still VW, the seats are VW with a different pattern, and there are plenty of year incorrect parts such as they deck lid and taillights. Those came about because early on, I planned a low budget restoration and I had those parts off a '71 that I totaled years ago. Of course, that low budget is long gone, and now it's a matter of making this a really car that is useable and fun but still plenty Volkswagen throughout.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle Resurrection Reply with quote

SO close! I was really hoping you'd be able to close that deck lid. I suppose it's just not possible with dual carbs and A.C. compressor?

-Jeremy
jkidd42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle Resurrection Reply with quote

What headlights are those? We have early fenders on our '74 project and like the shaved turn signal look. Planning to put something with an integrated turn signal in as well!
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle Resurrection Reply with quote

SO close! I was really hoping you'd be able to close that deck lid. I suppose it's just not possible with dual carbs and A.C. compressor?

I know! Makes me a little crazy. I have not given up hope yet. Still want to come up with a way to do it. I thought about cutting out behind the license plate but also don't want to modify the deck lid too much. I will keep you posted so watch this space! Gilmore Enterprises and ICE A/C both make a bracket that would work with dual carbs, but it seems they would work much better with single barrel ones and either no heat outlet or a relocated heater outlet on the left side fan shroud. What engine and carbs are you planning on?

Regarding the headlights, I will see if I can find the specs on them. I still like the stock headlights on a vintage car, but these are not too bad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle Resurrection Reply with quote

Oh I'll be watching. I like to learn from OTHER people's efforts! Smile

I'm undecided on engine/carbs, but right now I'm enamored with the idea of a 2110. And probably dual 44 IDF's. (I have research to do)

Enjoying the updates! I hope you get the deck lid sorted out.

-Jeremy
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle Resurrection Reply with quote

Will do. I have a 2332 with 48IDAs in my '67. It all fits nicely under the deck lid but I am not running heater boxes or a/c in that car. I have a Webasto gas heater located under the rear seat, piped into the heater channels, and think that I could add a/c to that car without an issue. That may be an idea for you if you are planning to do a/c. Go without heater boxes and the fan shroud without the outlets, and use some type of gas heater if you need it heat. This way the compressor can be mounted to the left rather than the center. If I find a way around this situation that is in my '73, I will post pics.
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle Resurrection Reply with quote

What headlights are those? We have early fenders on our '74 project and like the shaved turn signal look. Planning to put something with an integrated turn signal in as well!

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on these. They were made by United Pacific , purchased from Yogi's Hot Rod Parts (800) 373-1937 and are part number UP31378.
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle Resurrection Reply with quote

Update Update Update!

What's the latest?

Smile

-Jeremy
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle Resurrection Reply with quote

Thanks for asking! Car is done, I have been driving it a little bit! I have taken it to a couple of no contact VW cruises including one this past weekend. There are a few small issues-the fuel gauge and speedometer both stopped working, so I will dig into those, but it's been fun, quick and comfortable. I had some pics done for Hot VWs magazine, so I am waiting to see if its accepted, which is why I have not posted any final pics up as I believe they will not feature a car if its been revealed elsewhere first. Here is hoping!
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle Resurrection Reply with quote

OH, and I am still working on the deck lid LOL-I really want it to close! I am meeting an artist of a painter/fabricator this week to see if he has ideas.
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle Resurrection Reply with quote

Awesome. Thanks for the update- and I'm looking forward to seeing the final pics.

And yes- I'm definitely interested in seeing more if/when you figure out how to close that decklid! I wonder if that compressor bracket can be modified to drop the compressor down a bit further? Maybe if you used angled plug wires out of the distributor?

Good luck!

-Jeremy
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle Resurrection Reply with quote

Possibly, jeremyg-I would love for that to happen. I have been watching the progress on your car too, and am amazed at the work that you are doing to it. So many threads start out strong and then go dead, and I always wonder what happened to the cars-great to see you still moving forward with yours and keeping us updated.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle Resurrection Reply with quote

Fantastic that your project has reached driving, enjoyment, and completion stage, and that your interest did not fizzle out. I just went back to page 1 and viewed your car's original condition. Really big accomplishment.

Did anybody at the car show recognize the Porsche 928 seat upholstery? How do you like the engine driveability with that mild cam but larger heads? It probably has excellent throttle response.
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle Resurrection Reply with quote

@Rome, thanks-very very few people on the upholstery! But everyone seemed to like it. I grew up with a dad that has owned a 1951 MG TD since he was 18 or 19 years old. He is turning 73 in September of this year. When I was a kid, he would take my brother and I out around the block in it, using the handbrake since the regular brakes did not work. Every year since I was a kid, I would hear that "this was going to be the year" that we started the MG restoration. 40 years later, it still awaits. It was very important to me that this car did not end up collecting dust like the MG for 40 years-it would have, had I not bitten the bullet and had it done elsewhere, as much as I would have loved to do it myself. Now at least there are a few things to tinker with that are more manageable. And it looks like it may be time that I forced the start of the MG work.

It drives really well. There are a few small things to work out. The speedometer/odometer and fuel gauge have stopped working. There is a cut out and various RPMs-almost like shutting the key off and turning it back on very quickly, usually under harder acceleration. I have not looked into it yet-I thought it might be an issue in the electronic ignition but the builder things it may be jetting. I want to have a true 4 wheel alignment done. The steering is a little heavier than I'd like it and slower to respond and I believe it is related to this.

But over all it drives really well-the throttle response is great, and it idles smoothly and quietly, but has pretty good power when you're on it, other than that cutting out issue.

And as an added bonus, I took it to a custom fabricator/painter I know and he is confident he can get the deck lid to close, so that is also on my list of things this fall/winter.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle Resurrection Reply with quote

It's such a pretty car. I would probably get lost in some glam shots of its finished form if you felt like indulging the unwashed masses following along.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle Resurrection Reply with quote

@Buggeee, I'll absolutely post some finished pics! I heard back from Shin Watanabe at Hot VWs magazine last month-they are going to do 4 pages on the car, and I had to send them all of the photos I had taken of the car. I don't think I am supposed to post any of those up until after the issue comes out. I am hoping this happens soon.
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle Resurrection Reply with quote

@Buggeee, I'll absolutely post some finished pics! I heard back from Shin Watanabe at Hot VWs magazine last month-they are going to do 4 pages on the car, and I had to send them all of the photos I had taken of the car. I don't think I am supposed to post any of those up until after the issue comes out. I am hoping this happens soon.
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle Resurrection Reply with quote

Haven’t given up looking to get the deck lid closed. My buddy Pete Gamen, who owns a shop called Kandyvan here in Chicago, is an amazing fabricator, painter and custom car builder and he’s been working on a few ideas using a junkyard deck lid.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mark 75 Super Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle Resurrection Reply with quote

Amazing build, even more so considering what you started with! As to your a/c dilema, I was at the Bug Jam here in Florida earlier this month, and I saw several cars with dual carbs, and the Gilmore system. I remember asking a few about how tight it looked, and everyone said it worked fine. In fact, everyone raved about the Gilmore system in general. You mentioned Ice from California-what specifically do you like better? I read that you have both systems. I'm putting together parts, and doing research to do my 75 Super convertible, and in south Florida it absolutely needs a/c! Once again, congratulations on an amazing build!
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Super Beetle Resurrection Reply with quote

Great. Are those tail lights stock? I have a 1973 as well with those back lights and it has a flat windshield and everyone tells me it’s not a 1973. So I was thinking maybe someone had redone mine at some point it also has the vin of a regular 73 beetle so I was just wondering.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: