Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch hydraulic system not functioning, frustrated. *Update 1/5
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Clutch hydraulic system not functioning, frustrated. *Update 1/5 Reply with quote

Welcome to my office:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I began having trouble getting into first and reverse. Turn engine off, no problem shifting, so clutch is not disengaging.

I suspected the clutch clevis pin, removed dash and indeed, it is bad. Replaced with some welding and GoWesty clevis pin kit.

To my surprise, shifting does not improve so I fooled around with the threaded rod between the clevis pin and the clutch master cylinder. This was to no avail, no improvement.

I then replaced the clutch master cylinder with a new unit. Much, much, much bleeding later it finally works. I have pressure like I haven't felt in a long time and I can shift fine, go to bed happy.

Next day the situation is worse than before. Day after almost no pressure at all. I suspected the copper ring seals at the master cylinder(I believe these are specific to later model years, I have a 1990). Hard to find replacements, so I removed, cleaned, flipped them around, no improvement.

Perhaps the extra pressure blew out the slave cylinder, so I replaced the slave cylinder with a new unit. No improvement.

I have pressure bled the system forward and backward, going through two full quarts of dot 4 brake fluid. No improvement.

Either the copper sealing rings really need to be brand new, which I doubt, or one of the new master/slave units is bad. Both are FTE brand.

So I suppose my question is, if one of them is bad, why aren't they leaking? Can a master or slave fail internally and the piston just lets the fluid slip past it?

Final Note: I observed while pushing on the brake pedal, which has very good pressure, the fluid level in the brake reservoir drops, and then increases when the pedal is released. This is only notable when the fluid in the reservoir is at the tippy top.

When pushing on the clutch pedal, the fluid in the reservoir increases, and then goes back down when released.

So frustrated, might as well start bathing in and drinking brake fluid now as I'm going insane.

-Rob

Last edited by Robw_z on Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
macjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch hydraulic system not functioning, frustrated. Reply with quote

Sorry to hear of your saga, Robw_z.
You've gotten further into your clutch issue than I, so I won't have much useful to add, except camaraderie. And it sounds like the potential valving between the clutch and brake hydraulics is next?
Bike as primary transportation
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch hydraulic system not functioning, frustrated. Reply with quote

Robw_z wrote:
...I began having trouble getting into first and reverse. Turn engine off, no problem shifting, so clutch is not disengaging.

That could be caused by a linkage problem or a failed shift ball back by the trans. But...

Robw_z wrote:
...So I suppose my question is, if one of them is bad, why aren't they leaking?

Generally a failed slave will leak but a master can certainly fail without leaking.

Robw_z wrote:
...When pushing on the clutch pedal, the fluid in the reservoir increases, and then goes back down when released.

That sounds to me like a failure inside the master (yeah, I know it's new).

BTW - copper washers can be annealed to soften them for re-use. Simply a matter of heating them with a torch and letting them solwly cool.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch hydraulic system not functioning, frustrated. Reply with quote

To All at Large, could air in the system(s) make fluid level rise in the master?

OP, are you dead sure there's no air, and/or no way for air to keep coming in?

Potentially related, we currently have an issue downshifting from 4th to 3rd. (Good) Mechanic thinks it's the shift bits at the base of gearshift lever, will know Friday...

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch hydraulic system not functioning, frustrated. Reply with quote

I am going to replace the clutch master, again, and see what happens.

-Rob
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch hydraulic system not functioning, frustrated. Reply with quote

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder and then seal it up well before installing it? The last time I did a master cylinder this was required, but that was also before I owned a power bleeder so your mileage may vary.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch hydraulic system not functioning, frustrated. Reply with quote

Robw_z wrote:
Welcome to my office:
. . . so I fooled around with the threaded rod between the clevis pin and the clutch master cylinder. This was to no avail, no improvement.-Rob

Can you put the threaded rod back to its stock position? I'm only guessing here but possibly the adjustment you made moved the master piston to a place where it doesn't belong - just a guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch hydraulic system not functioning, frustrated. Reply with quote

Can you have a helper press on the clutch while you watch the slave to make sure it is operating all the way? Does sound like a bad master or slave.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch hydraulic system not functioning, frustrated. Reply with quote

SyncroButter wrote:
Did you bench bleed the master cylinder and then seal it up well before installing it? The last time I did a master cylinder this was required, but that was also before I owned a power bleeder so your mileage may vary.

It is my understanding that on the Vanagon clutch master bench bleeding is not necessary.

-Rob
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch hydraulic system not functioning, frustrated. Reply with quote

Gizmoman wrote:
Robw_z wrote:
Welcome to my office:
. . . so I fooled around with the threaded rod between the clevis pin and the clutch master cylinder. This was to no avail, no improvement.-Rob

Can you put the threaded rod back to its stock position? I'm only guessing here but possibly the adjustment you made moved the master piston to a place where it doesn't belong - just a guess.

I am concerned about this too but did return it to “that looks about right” position. The fact that clutch worked great for the 15 min test drive after initially installing the master, I don’t know what to make of. Next day it was back to bad pressure. But that does imply the current rod length is OK.

-Rob
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch hydraulic system not functioning, frustrated. Reply with quote

To judge the clutch hydraulic action can't you have someone operate the clutch pedal while you watch the slave cylinder in the back? (like @Dobryan said)
That would give you an idea if things are physically working; the throw is a couple inches.
I know the fluid level in the reservoir can go up and down as you operate the clutch, so does sound like it could be the clutch master. At that point you could do a little old fashioned bleeding at the slave and tell if it's working.
There's also the rubber/ flexible clutch line by the trans; if it is failing/ corroded internally it can swell as pressure builds and cause a spongy pedal.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch hydraulic system not functioning, frustrated. Reply with quote

Robw_z wrote:
Gizmoman wrote:
Robw_z wrote:
Welcome to my office:

I am concerned about this too but did return it to “that looks about right” position. The fact that clutch worked great for the 15 min test drive after initially installing the master, I don’t know what to make of. Next day it was back to bad pressure. But that does imply the current rod length is OK.

-Rob

Your temporary functional clutch doesn't definitively suggest to me that the freeplay is correct (that is what you adjusted). Bentley 30.2 has the spec - 0.5mm max. but you MUST have some freeplay.

Checking movement of the lever on the trans is a good idea. It could also be a failing release fork.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch hydraulic system not functioning, frustrated. Reply with quote

Per adding yet another master, I'd be shocked if throwing parts at this problem proves fruitful.

Bleed a quart or more through your brakes until it runs dead clear, then do same with clutch. Beyond filth, air is either getting in there, or is still in there.

— Colin Chapman
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch hydraulic system not functioning, frustrated. Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
Per adding yet another master, I'd be shocked if throwing parts at this problem proves fruitful.

Bleed a quart or more through your brakes until it runs dead clear, then do same with clutch. Beyond filth, air is either getting in there, or is still in there.

I would vote "air still in there" which would also account for why after a bunch of pumping during and after bleeding seemed to firm things up, but then the next day were back to the previous state... pretty classic "air in the lines" symptom where the air gets compressed whether you're talking about clutch hydraulics or brake hydraulics. Regardless of actual the root cause of the issue, this change of state from solid to squishy with nothing but time passing in between seems like a smoking gun to me.

Great point from other users re: the adjustment of freeplay and this being a possible source of the issue. I have never done a Vanagon MC but in other vehicles the internals are such that the "piston" needs to move sufficiently far back into its "neutral" position when the pedal is out in order to expose all of the "ports" and let air bubble back up... I'm talking about air trapped in the MC itself from install. If the MC is perennially partially depressed (and if your power bleeder/technique does not move sufficient volume) you could have some bubbles that are still trapped in there. Alternatively (and again, I've never done a Vanagon MC...) one some older vehicles (e.g. my 1938 Buick) if your throw on the MC is way off you can drag the seals over the compensating ports and possibly rip them up a bit.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch hydraulic system not functioning, frustrated. Reply with quote

SyncroButter wrote:
If the MC is perennially partially depressed...

This makes me sad for the MC, especially at New Year's.

Might snugging it up to the Slave help?

— Colin Chapman
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch hydraulic system not functioning, frustrated. Reply with quote

Update:

before replacing the M/C, I fooled around with the rod above it. All I can do is back it up to where the threads are dirty(ie where it was factory) and then a bit more. The Bentley specifies 0.5mm between the rod and piston but it is not possible to measure this without removing the assembly which requires removing the dash. It does have more free play now, which is what I was going for to eliminate any "perennial depression" of the M/C piston. I bled it a lot still no go.

I got a new master cylinder and installed it, this time with new copper rings.

Huge amount of bleeding later, no better, the clutch will still not disengage. With the engine running pushing on the clutch makes a subtle noise, probably the noise of a slightly but not fully disengaged clutch.

If it was a clutch or clutch fork, or even throwout bearing issue back at the transmission, wouldn't the pedal still feel good? That shouldn't affect hydraulic pressure. I took a video of the clutch action, and it looks like I thought it would, the lever going down but not all the way.

Link

The transmission was rebuilt 50k ago and the clutch was replaced at that time.

In almost 20 years of VW ownership this is the first time I've been defeated. I may have to call a tow truck to bring it to a shop.

Dumbfounded.

-Rob[/youtube]
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch hydraulic system not functioning, frustrated. Reply with quote

Robw_z wrote:
If it was a clutch or clutch fork, or even throwout bearing issue back at the transmission, wouldn't the pedal still feel good? That shouldn't affect hydraulic pressure.

An issue at the trans components will certainly affect the hydraulic pressure and the feel of the pedal. What you feel when you press the clutch pedal is the resistance of whatever is being moved by the pedal. The pedal moves the (relatively) in-compressible fluid, which in turn pushes out the slave cylinder, which pushes on the release fork, which pushes on the pressure plate springs. All of those resistances are cumulative but the lion's share is the resistance of the pressure plate springs. The pressure in the hydraulic components is a function of all the other resistances. The hydraulic components add virtually nothing to the resistance of the pedal. In other words, when the clutch components are all functioning correctly, the resistance that is felt is the resistance of the pressure plate springs. If there is an issue with the release fork or pressure plate, it can most certainly result in less (or sometimes even more) pedal resistance.

I watched 3 other videos on Youtube that showed the movement of the vanagon clutch release lever and the all appeared to move a very similar amount to yours.

Last edited by ?Waldo? on Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch hydraulic system not functioning, frustrated. Reply with quote

Robw_z wrote:
Update:

. . .

If it was a clutch or clutch fork, or even throwout bearing issue back at the transmission, wouldn't the pedal still feel good?
-Rob

Well, you've eliminated what I thought may have been the issue (no free-play). This free-play insures that the ports in the piston can suck up more fluid for the next clutch engagement (I think).
As if it would still "feel" good if the fork were wonkey, that's a bit subjective. To me, feel good would be a pedal that is compressing clutch springs which are insanely stiff. If the fork was broken (as can happen), you'd feel very little resistance.
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch hydraulic system not functioning, frustrated. *Vid added Reply with quote

The only reason I’m doubting a clutch or fork issue is because of that magical test drive a week ago where it was working just fine.

All I can think to do is perhaps use a ratchet strap or something to pull the clutch lever to maximum. If I can’t shift at that point, it isn’t the fault of the hydraulics.

I just know it’s going to be a real pain to put that theory into practice though.

-Rob
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch hydraulic system not functioning, frustrated. *Vid added Reply with quote

Hmmm Good idea on pulling the clutch lever.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: