Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche 356 fiberglass replica to steel conversion?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jagerocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:01 pm    Post subject: Porsche 356 fiberglass replica to steel conversion? Reply with quote

Has anyone converted a FGLASS replica to real steel 356 panels from Trevor Hammer works or Restoration design.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 fiberglass replica to steel conversion? Reply with quote

not sure what you mean by conversion? do you mean a metal body on a vw pan? I would think the cost of panels and their assembly would be prohibitive cost wise.
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 fiberglass replica to steel conversion? Reply with quote

You'd be better off stuffing the seats with $100 bills. What would you gain? Buy one of the crusty rusty 356's that are out there and start replacing panels. When you are done you'd at least have a vehicle registered as a Porsche. Most replicas are based off a VW pan which is not close to the unibody construction used by Porsche. A fiberglass replica at about $30k is meant to be driven - the original now $150k cars not so much so.
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 fiberglass replica to steel conversion? Reply with quote

While the outer shape is very similar (a lot of body panels are dead on), the under-structure is no where near the same so attachment points and supports aren't where they need to be. Hanging steel replacement sheetmetal on a replica also won't make it any nearer to a real P car either- it doesn't have an original vin # so it will always be a replica and never accepted by most Porsche owners, no matter how many original parts you hang on it. As Wolfgang suggested, either rebuild an original and accept the fact the car is now too expensive to drive the way it's meant to or build/buy a replica plastic Speedster (that almost no one can tell from the original and you can equip any way you want without worrying about what the purists think) and have fun with a fairweather car that will go anywhere, any time, be a blast to drive and gather attention everywhere you go.

As usual, just my 2 1/2 cents (I'm Canadian, eh!). Al
jagerocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 fiberglass replica to steel conversion? Reply with quote

Ya I hear ya. Maybe the airs thinner here in Canada. I'm going for it anyways. It's going to be 3 generation project...my dad me and my son. Already have the front clip done so might as well keep going.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 fiberglass replica to steel conversion? Reply with quote

Very cool! Where in Canada are you? I live in the greater Vancouver area. Oh- and my name is Al
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 fiberglass replica to steel conversion? Reply with quote

what are you mounting those exterior panels onto? there must be about $9k of metal just in that front end...
jagerocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 fiberglass replica to steel conversion? Reply with quote

I'm in Victoria. I tell I'm having so much fun. I do t care that the vin is vw. I already have many other 356s. This is just pure hobby farming. Also I'm installing inner hidden structures as you were asking. Wish your 9000$ was correct...more like 20000$ into it just on sheet metal from Trevor hammer works and Restoration Design. And no plans to stop. You see I'm not like your porsche bolt counters. I do this for fun. It's a great pleasure in building a 356. Try it.
jagerocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 fiberglass replica to steel conversion? Reply with quote

ALB wrote:
Very cool! Where in Canada are you? I live in the greater Vancouver area. Oh- and my name is Al

I'm in Victoria. Im sure you've heard of it....lol
Jason
jagerocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 fiberglass replica to steel conversion? Reply with quote

Fit doors tonight
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 fiberglass replica to steel conversion? Reply with quote

jagerocks wrote:
ALB wrote:

I'm in Victoria. Im sure you've heard of it....lol
Jason

Hey, Jason- yeah, I've heard of it (even been there once or twice! Laughing )
Keep us informed. Looks like you're having fun (and that really is all that matters) and again, very cool project! I'm looking forward to seeing it when it's finished. Al
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 fiberglass replica to steel conversion? Reply with quote

I keep eyeing my huge pile of aluminum beer cans I've accumulated - with fleeting thoughts of hammering them into an alloy 550 Spyder then I say heck NO and just grab another beer.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche 356 fiberglass replica to steel conversion? Reply with quote

Wolfgangdieter wrote:
I keep eyeing my huge pile of aluminum beer cans I've accumulated - with fleeting thoughts of hammering them into an alloy 550 Spyder then I say heck NO and just grab another beer.
Can't you see? You're working toward your goal and you don't even realize it! Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: