Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 Bus transmission - overhaul repair
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus transmission - overhaul repair Reply with quote

I have 2 transmission shops within 10 miles that have had no problem rebuilding my transmissions. Me thinks you spout off

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus transmission - overhaul repair Reply with quote

To the OP,
Have you decided what to do? If not, I can point you towards a great shop near me in San Diego. The quality is great but I’m guessing you have an issue with shipping.

Edit: as far as taking it to Billy Bobs shop near you just remember that this is a job you only want to have to do once. Roll the dice?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus transmission - overhaul repair Reply with quote

pioneer1 wrote:
I have 2 transmission shops within 10 miles that have had no problem rebuilding my transmissions. Me thinks you spout off

I call BS
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus transmission - overhaul repair Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
pioneer1 wrote:

I call BS

I’m not saying his statement is false, just extremely uncommon. Great for them. I’m lucky enough to have two shops within 45 miles that work on Aircooled VW stuff. One is the shop I mentioned, and the other is a non-VW shop that happens to have someone with the knowledge/tools to do VW transaxles. Then there is the shop that works on exotics that has worked on a few Gallardo’s, and Mucielargo’s less than five miles away. From working at Jims from 03-13, and having people send him their transaxles from hundreds to thousands of miles away to work on, there aren’t many shops within a few hundred mile radius of Northeastern Ohio that don’t specialize in Aircooled VW stuff that will work on an Aircooled VW transaxle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus transmission - overhaul repair Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
pioneer1 wrote:

I call BS

Maybe not complete BS. They no doubt did the best they could with what they knew. And just guessed the rest. Personally I would not want the person doing my rebuild guessing at it. And to be clear it is a four speed “transaxle not just a gearbox. There is a ring and pinion as well as a differential in that equation. Those also require a specific set up procedure. The specialized tools to do all this remove the guesswork.
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus transmission - overhaul repair Reply with quote

To the original poster.
Years ago a transaxle shop I worked for would (when requested.) ship a transaxle via Greyhound bus. I do not know if they still do this. As I recall it was fairly inexpensive. The drawback is it is not a door to door service. Someone has to go to the Greyhound depot to drop off and pick up. Idea
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus transmission - overhaul repair Reply with quote

There are companies offering engine shipping door to door but I don't think you'd need that. A gearbox isn't all that heavy and I believe I've had heavier stuff delivered from Amazon in the past. Box it well and I bet Fedex home delivery would accept it.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus transmission - overhaul repair Reply with quote

For any rebuilder who ships transaxles all over the world, if you went with one they could probably ship you a protective box to send it to them in.

Rancho gets a good deal on shipping too, I don't know how but it was less in shipping than gas to drive the hour to pick it up!

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bus transmission - overhaul repair Reply with quote

companies who are under contract get negociated rates. I worked one place where UPS, FedEx and USPS fought constantly over an exclusive contract for shipping. What would cost you $35 shipping would cost them $2.75. I sent a computer tower back to my dad in FL one day express for like $18 where the public rate for ground was $85 and one day air was close to $200.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: