Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

wrecked October 1953 beetle
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: wrecked October 1953 beetle Reply with quote

Back in 2012 i dug this car out of the dirt, & put a front & rear axle on it & helped tow it down out of it's resting place.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I just had the opportunity to by the car, and i brought it home today. Anyway, i'll chip away at it & post any progress on here. It looks to have never been painted. Any ideas what color green that is?

Looking at the color charts i was thinking Atlantic green.

Here she is in all her glory!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: wrecked October 1953 beetle Reply with quote

Wow, that's going to be a lot of work.
Best of luck with the progress Wink
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: wrecked October 1953 beetle Reply with quote

Looks like Atlantic green to me.
70 911T
91 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: wrecked October 1953 beetle Reply with quote

I see you that like a challenge Wink Laughing (not even that long ago cars in such shape used to be pulled apart for spare sheet metal)

It's a late 1953 car which is early oval, cool !!
Plenty work to be done, but if you're dedicated you'll get there Cool
The good thing about it is that a lot of replacement parts have become available new over the past few years, so it actually helped the car (and you Laughing ) that it sat for a few years after you dug it out of the hole it was in Razz .
I wonder though what happened to that poor back end... (rear-ended by a big rig which pushed the engine into the firewall or something? Amazing that that rear window hasn't been shattered).

This will be an interesting one to follow Popcorn, good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: wrecked October 1953 beetle Reply with quote

I'm headed up there Monday to see what else Michael has for sale... Cool I know all the Split Buses went to France already, and there are a few Ovals that can't be gotten to right now...but I'll see what I can dig up, or dig out

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: wrecked October 1953 beetle Reply with quote

That color for a 53 is L35 Metallic blue

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: wrecked October 1953 beetle Reply with quote

tisius wrote:
I see you that like a challenge Wink Laughing (not even that long ago cars in such shape used to be pulled apart for spare sheet metal)

It's a late 1953 car which is early oval, cool !!
Plenty work to be done, but if you're dedicated you'll get there Cool
The good thing about it is that a lot of replacement parts have become available new over the past few years, so it actually helped the car (and you Laughing ) that it sat for a few years after you dug it out of the hole it was in Razz .
I wonder though what happened to that poor back end... (rear-ended by a big rig which pushed the engine into the firewall or something? Amazing that that rear window hasn't been shattered).

This will be an interesting one to follow Popcorn, good luck!

Yeah, i see it as a good car to put back together. When i tried selling it for my friend years ago everyone wanted to buy body sections off of it & there really isn't much left anyhow. Maybe it was just pushed around the farm a few times idk, but it lived a hard life Laughing

I'll slowly but surely get this car back together again when i can afford parts, and i have quite a few parts for it already.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: wrecked October 1953 beetle Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
I'm headed up there Monday to see what else Michael has for sale... Cool I know all the Split Buses went to France already, and there are a few Ovals that can't be gotten to right now...but I'll see what I can dig up, or dig out

There are some old hoods & doors left, but most were rusted out due to being buried in the mud. Maybe worth a look if your in the area. There are some 58-59 & a 60 beetle that are easily accessible too.
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: wrecked October 1953 beetle Reply with quote

gave the whole car a good wet sanding to get all the surface rust off, mostly worked on the dash & got the steering setup to push it around the yard easier.

Here is the old OG hood that some how survived though does need some work

Here she is hanging with my daily driver
austin haro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: wrecked October 1953 beetle Reply with quote

Congrats ! Keep posting
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: wrecked October 1953 beetle Reply with quote

cleaned up the hood bolts after breaking everything loose & bolted the hood on to see how it looks.

steering column bolted up

rear window pics

gas cap i had in store for this project

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: wrecked October 1953 beetle Reply with quote

Awesome, I like where this is going...

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: wrecked October 1953 beetle Reply with quote

finally got my title in the mail today! Now i won't feel bad about working on this car anymore. I'm still collecting parts & piecing her back together. I have most of the chassis unbolted so as soon as i can afford pans & heater channels the body will come off, and i'll be hunting for a front & rear clip.
Stetoppingphoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: wrecked October 1953 beetle Reply with quote

Looking great already! Well done for saving this one : )

Subscribed
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: wrecked October 1953 beetle Reply with quote

Liking your attitude! Most people would have parted this out or directly tried to wreck (that obviously didn't work fortunately).
You will have a cool driver and I think it's cool to see cars like these when almost every early VW is restored to good, perfect or even better than new condition. Nobody should care about the later apron or fenders... you could say you have an original paint 53 bug that's even driving!!! Wink Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: wrecked October 1953 beetle Reply with quote

If I had parts you could use Id definitely donate em to you, get this baby up n going on the road again..keep it up.
Cheers Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: wrecked October 1953 beetle Reply with quote

small update! I was cleaning up at my friends property where i found the car & i came across two quarter windows with the same logo as my rear window. Possibly the original glass that came out of my car. They were covered in moss laying in the back of a 66 beetle body
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: wrecked October 1953 beetle Reply with quote

Good find Conrad!
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: wrecked October 1953 beetle Reply with quote

… my kinda find - love '53s - - good luck - z
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: wrecked October 1953 beetle Reply with quote

Looks like you made huge progress to reshape the majority of the external deformations and the left rear quarter panel back close to original. What technique did you use? Could you get the engine firewall pushed back into position also?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: