Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Blowthru vs/or Drawthru Turbo
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Blowthru vs/or Drawthru Turbo Reply with quote

What cam are you running?

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Blowthru vs/or Drawthru Turbo Reply with quote

Webcam 86b on 112lc with CB 1.4s. Lifters are from Aircooled.net lightweight(pencil thin) units with matching sleeves for the lifter bore and their HD aluminum pushrods.

Planning on upgrading heads when I pull the trigger on the turbo. Also I have both a MSD distributor 6btm box and the CB perf programmable distributor in my parts bin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Blowthru vs/or Drawthru Turbo Reply with quote

So you're wanting high RPM?

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Blowthru vs/or Drawthru Turbo Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:

https://m.facebook.com/152337508172537/photos/a.88...;source=54

Except with EFI

If fuel puddling wasnt a problem then, it is now
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Blowthru vs/or Drawthru Turbo Reply with quote

Yup. Over 5000 rpm maybe not.....

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Blowthru vs/or Drawthru Turbo Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:

And what cam would you suggest for a purely street driven turbo 2332?
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Blowthru vs/or Drawthru Turbo Reply with quote

Mine is 240* dur @ .050. Cams seem bigger with a turbo. I drove an exact duplicate of my engine with a 120 cam, and it didn't come on until 3000. Not good for puttin around.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
VdanielW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Blowthru vs/or Drawthru Turbo Reply with quote

My 2276 turbo engine with a w120 pulled to 7500rpm no problem. Probably would have gone further had I allowed it.
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Blowthru vs/or Drawthru Turbo Reply with quote

VdanielW wrote:
My 2276 turbo engine with a w120 pulled to 7500rpm no problem. Probably would have gone further had I allowed it.

what trans?
VdanielW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Blowthru vs/or Drawthru Turbo Reply with quote

1.14 4th, 3.88 r/p. Der Transaxle built
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Blowthru vs/or Drawthru Turbo Reply with quote

Yes, but when did it come on?

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
VdanielW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Blowthru vs/or Drawthru Turbo Reply with quote

Full boost by 3k using Aj's GT33 turbo. It's a 32 exhaust and a 35 intake.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Blowthru vs/or Drawthru Turbo Reply with quote

Do you know what i mean by 'on the cam', 'off the cam'? When did it smooth out and have driveability off boost?

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
VdanielW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Blowthru vs/or Drawthru Turbo Reply with quote

Not sure if you are referring to me, the 7500 pull was at the track- full throttle at all times. With that trans I don't drive it on the street, too high of rpms. My street bug will be getting most of this engine (2276 but with smaller heads) and with its trans gearing (.89 4th & 3.88 r/p) I expecting the same thing I had before my race bug became my race bug- it ran great.
I had been running this set up for a long time on the street (I remember when Aj had your bug in his shop building the header to make sure it fully cleared your deck lid- nice car by the way) and always enjoyed driving it long distances (2hrs on the freeway to get to low bugget). I decided, when the cage went into the car, to rebuild the trans with 1/4 mile gearing and to go to larger valves (originally had 40x35 and went up to 42x37). It was at that point that it started having more issues on street driving with the hickups, flat spots, and loading up at stops, which were not problems before. For racing this wasn't a concern, but now that I'm putting this back in to my street car I'm dropping back down to a smaller valve size (different set of heads). I would totally agree, for street, stick with a smaller cam. LowBugget lbc2 cam is perfect for a street cam. A w110 or even a w100 would be great as well.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Blowthru vs/or Drawthru Turbo Reply with quote

Yes, I agree. People tend to over-cam a street turbo setup. And thanks for the compliment.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Blowthru vs/or Drawthru Turbo Reply with quote

I run an FK-65 in my street turbo engine. It's rated at 5000, a very mild street cam, but pulls hard to 6000 with the turbo. I love how it runs. I remember reading years ago that for a street turbo cam, you want to keep the overlap at 20 degrees. Mine is dead on 20 degrees.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Blowthru vs/or Drawthru Turbo Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:

Thinking of switching my Webcam 86b to a 86a when I make the switch from NA to turbo. According to the specs this should move my powerband from:

3000-7000rpm to a more Turbo friendly 1500-6000rpm

Any other cams I should consider.....I want to keep my CB 1.4s!
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Blowthru vs/or Drawthru Turbo Reply with quote

My FK-65 runs 1.4 rockers.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Blowthru vs/or Drawthru Turbo Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker

Last edited by Splitdog on Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Blowthru vs/or Drawthru Turbo Reply with quote

My FK 41 I'm running 1.25's. You want to use a cam recommended for 1.4's. They have a smoother ramp.

Derrick, the 86a has 253 duration @.050.
The W120 has 252 @ .050.
I think that is too much for driving casually around town, but that may be different for you. I drove a motor just like mine with a 120 and it didn't come on until 3000 rpm. So it wouldn't be good for cruising at 2000-2500 in my opinion. But it also has to do with runner size, overlap, exhaust size, turbo, etc.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker

Last edited by Splitdog on Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:02 pm; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: