Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eurovan wont stay running
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
turbo+
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Eurovan wont stay running Reply with quote

2003 VW Eurovan - 242k miles. Over the summer, the engine started acting up. On the way home from our road trip, the engine was hard to start, but was running fine on the freeway - got P0011, and random misfiring. So my conclusion was that it's a stretched timing chain or jumped a tooth. (with this kind of mileage)
So I pulled the engine, installed a new head gasket and replaced the timing chain - followed instructions to at T and put everything back together. Cold-cranked it for a little bit to get the oil circulating and then put the fuse back in for the fuel pump. The engine started - success, or so I thought. It run for 5min then shut down. Didn't start anymore - just cranking. I was so frustrated that I went home (car is at a friends house who was all the heavy equipment). Next day, car starts, but runs only for 1 or 2 min - then shuts down again and can't restart it the rest of the day. Another day another try and the engine starts - had to move it out of the drive way, but dies again after 1-2 min.
I checked fuel flow - Fuel is streaming quite good out of fuel line but i did not check fuel pressure. After that I checked spark - no spark. Weird, it was running at the beginning?!?! I am kinda puzzled.

In my opinion, I put everything back together correctly and connected all plugs - except one. It's a red plug on the left (driver side) front corner and I don't see to where it should be getting connected too. It comes from under the bumper I think. I labeled all my connectors except this one since it was the only red one - so I though I know where it should go.

I don't think it's the key thing, since without the correct key the engine shuts down immediately.

The cam-shaft positions sensors seem to be working. I'll check the fuel pressure just to make sure (what should it be??) and check the crank shaft position sensor, but afterwards I don't know what to check.
I am puzzled - any suggestions?
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan wont stay running Reply with quote

After resetting the codes did it run long enough to run past the diagnostic and provide all codes clear? Is the check engine light still on?
A2VR6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan wont stay running Reply with quote

Have you scanned for the codes?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: