Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

resting pulse — temps and pressure — for an I-4 vanagon?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: resting pulse — temps and pressure — for an I-4 vanagon? Reply with quote

Just took a ride to do some testing on this solar power system and was wondering if these numbers looked right.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The oil pressure is 60 lbs cold and settles in at 20, as shown here, when warm. The oil temp is a proxy for the useless coolant gauge that barely gets out of the cold zone when this is where you see it. I make that about 230/240°. That's just intown driving, no real grades or high speed runs.

Both senders are mounted in the heat exchanger at the oil filter flange.

And yes, that is water vapor in the gauges which is very disappointing after I just replaced the heater core. I am not seeing any drips on the floor but now I wonder if it was the core or something else.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: resting pulse — temps and pressure — for an I-4 vanagon? Reply with quote

Engine warm oil pressure should be about 10 psi per 1,000 rpm.

Cold can be 60 or above but shoul rapidly lower.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: resting pulse — temps and pressure — for an I-4 vanagon? Reply with quote

Paul, you say OP settles in at 20 but it's reading about 11psi in the photo. 11 psi at idle is fine for a wbx but you've got an ABA conversion so I'm guessing it's fine for your mitor as well.

If you're saying that it settles in st 20 psi say, at 2500 - 3000 rpm I'd want to learn more (I sold my wbx as a core when it was reading 24 psi at 3000 rpm; Bentley says a wbx should be about 28 psi at 180 degrees at 3000 rpm (don't quote me on those!)).

Dave's rule of thumb of 10 psi for every 1000 rpm is a good starting point.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: resting pulse — temps and pressure — for an I-4 vanagon? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Engine warm oil pressure should be about 10 psi per 1,000 rpm.

Cold can be 60 or above but shoul rapidly lower.

Dave

I had internalized that 10lb/1K rule so I watch that. It is a little lower than 20 here. I did check the oil a couple of days ago and it was good.

The temp looks OK?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: resting pulse — temps and pressure — for an I-4 vanagon? Reply with quote

I never measured oil temps with the ABA in my Bay -- and since I had an external oil cooler not the factory unit above the filter we'd be comparing apples to pineapples -- but your hot-idle oil pressure looks fine as long as it ramps right up when you open the throttle and accelerate.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: resting pulse — temps and pressure — for an I-4 vanagon? Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
but your hot-idle oil pressure looks fine as long as it ramps right up when you open the throttle and accelerate.

It does…pretty responsive. Never had an oil pressure gauge but I find it…informative.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: resting pulse — temps and pressure — for an I-4 vanagon? Reply with quote

You're good, then. Stop worrying and enjoy the drive. Very Happy
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: resting pulse — temps and pressure — for an I-4 vanagon? Reply with quote

And my VDO gauges get fogged up too. I hate that.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: resting pulse — temps and pressure — for an I-4 vanagon? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
And my VDO gauges get fogged up too. I hate that.

Any idea why? I'm a bit disappointed after wrestling with that heater core job to find that I may not have fixed my problem. No visible leaks but why the fogging?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: resting pulse — temps and pressure — for an I-4 vanagon? Reply with quote

Have you tried hitting the gauge with a blow dryer?
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: resting pulse — temps and pressure — for an I-4 vanagon? Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
Have you tried hitting the gauge with a blow dryer?

Are there 12V blow dryers?

If dobryan has this issue and isn't stressed, I think I can calm down…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: resting pulse — temps and pressure — for an I-4 vanagon? Reply with quote

My inline-4, albeit not an ABA and not in my van, runs at that temp. The oil pressure in mine at warm idle is double that though. That said, the low pressure warning in mine (at idle) doesn't go off until 0.3 bar (4.5 psi), so your pressure is fine if the ABA has roughly the same specs.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: resting pulse — temps and pressure — for an I-4 vanagon? Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
My inline-4, albeit not an ABA and not in my van, runs at that temp. The oil pressure in mine at warm idle is double that though. That said, the low pressure warning in mine (at idle) doesn't go off until 0.3 bar (4.5 psi), so your pressure is fine if the ABA has roughly the same specs.

Good to know. The existing gauge and sender are still there and recent experience suggests they are in good working order… Shocked I just did this to have some warning/trend to watch.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: resting pulse — temps and pressure — for an I-4 vanagon? Reply with quote

Probably not but if you have an extension cord it would work. I have moisture build up in my Harley speedo once in a while. If I leave it in the sun or hit it with a low temp on my heat gun it goes away.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: resting pulse — temps and pressure — for an I-4 vanagon? Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
Probably not but if you have an extension cord it would work. I have moisture build up in my Harley speedo once in a while. If I leave it in the sun or hit it with a low temp on my heat gun it goes away.

No access to electricity out where I park, so not an option for now. Nor is the sun for a few months yet. As long as it's not due to a leak of any kind, I can live with it.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: