Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Zeke65's 1965 Beetle Build Thread
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZEKE65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Zeke65's 1965 Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Picked up this 1965 Beetle over the holidays and am just getting started with it. Just finished a build on my last project which was not a VW when I got this. I never did a build thread then, so I thought I would do one for the beetle. The car is in really good shape, no real body rust at all. First thing I did was pull the seats and flooring, and then the insulation boards from the floor. Looks like I am going to have to replace the floor pans even though the body is good. Biggest problem right now is that the transaxle is leaking really bad. I know I need to replace the dust boots, but there is oil everywhere on the trans. Can these transaxles leak from the shift rod area? May have to pull the engine to check the input seal as well. Engine that came in the car is a 1600 DP. Have only drive about 5 or 6 miles so far because I want to fix the leaks and refill the axle before driving much. And so it begins!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Zeke65's 1965 Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Welcome and do share more photos of the car and what you do to it.

I got my first bug just recently (on Dec 14). Smile

1961 VW Beetle - Ownership Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711372
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Zeke65's 1965 Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

ZEKE65 wrote:
Biggest problem right now is that the transaxle is leaking really bad. I know I need to replace the dust boots, but there is oil everywhere on the trans. Can these transaxles leak from the shift rod area? May have to pull the engine to check the input seal as well. Engine that came in the car is a 1600 DP. Have only drive about 5 or 6 miles so far because I want to fix the leaks and refill the axle before driving much. And so it begins!

Yes, around the hockey stick or any of the detent holes that are unplugged.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Zeke65's 1965 Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Yes, around the hockey stick or any of the detent holes that are unplugged.

A couple pics from the gallery to help illustrate what/where the detent plugs are:

The plugs were often plastic and are thus prone to failure as they age.
ZEKE65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Zeke65's 1965 Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

The drawings I have looked at didn't show a seal at the hockey stick, only two bushings. Is there a seal there? Are the detent plugs just push ins? Where can one obtain the plugs?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZEKE65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Zeke65's 1965 Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

The drawings I have looked at didn't show a seal at the hockey stick, only two bushings. Is there a seal there? Are the detent plugs just push ins?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Zeke65's 1965 Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Did a search of all the forums for "Nose Cone Seal", then checked the "Search Titles Only" box to keep the results down from hundreds or thousands of threads possible.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

Another search for "Shift Rod Seal":

Detent plugs are pressed in.

Again a search of the forums for "Detent Plugs", with checked "Search Titles Only" box:

Any reputable VW parts shop should be able to supply such. Wolfburg West is a good parts supplier. Bus, beetle, K. ghia and other ACVW models use same part.
ZEKE65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Zeke65's 1965 Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Dropped the engine tonight, getting ready to pull the body off the pan so I can replace the lefty and right floor pans. Then fix the transaxle leaks. Along with reconditioning all the associated items
ZEKE65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Zeke65's 1965 Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Still getting things ready to drop the pan from the body. Got the steering wheel, brake hose and wires loose. Got the last of the bolts broken and loose. Cleaned the engine compartment and removed the old insulating board and engine seals.

ZEKE65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Zeke65's 1965 Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Welded up some brackets that bolt to the rear bumper mounts. These are U shaped and will fit over the saw horses that I am building to drop the pan.

riverart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Zeke65's 1965 Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

That's a sweet ride!
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Zeke65's 1965 Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Just been through this with my '65 Type 3 swing axle trans (basically the same thing).

Early versions did not have an oil seal at the hockey stick, just the two bushings. The oil seal was added on later versions. You can get a later version nose cone with seal and bolt it on to your early version trans. Replace oil seal and nose cone gasket.

I also had broken/leaking detent plugs. A lot of the vendors carry a 3-piece set of detent plugs, but really there are 4 of them so you might as well do them all. The 4th one is smaller and requires a stud to be removed. BugCity.com has a 4-pc set for about $20.
ZEKE65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Zeke65's 1965 Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Der flying Beetle

Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Zeke65's 1965 Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

So ...how did you get the entire bug (less engine) up onto the special 'saw horses' ? Never seen that before.
ZEKE65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Zeke65's 1965 Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Floor jack, wood blocks, and jack stands. Jack it up, sit it on jack stands, add wood blocks to the floor jack and jack it up some more. Got to get it high enough to drop the chassis, and roll it out from under the body. Got work to do on the chassis.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Zeke65's 1965 Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Same principle used to raise or lower houses. Like the regrading of hills in Seattle from the 1890s thru 1920s, required lowering structures to the new ground level.

from this situation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regrading_in_Seattle
ZEKE65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Zeke65's 1965 Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Got the pan dropped out and on the floor today, and started cleaning 50 years of grime off of the transaxle. The detent holes were wide open. You can see the nice shiny shift rods in the holes. looks like the shift control rod was leaking as well.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Zeke65's 1965 Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

ZEKE65 wrote:
Got the pan dropped out and on the floor today, and started cleaning 50 years of grime off of the transaxle. The detent holes were wide open. You can see the nice shiny shift rods in the holes. looks like the shift control rod was leaking as well.

Had the same issue. I swapped in a later nose cone with oil seal for the shift control rod.

Look underneath the trans for the 4th detent plug. It’s in line with the other 3 but facing down. Gotta pull the stud under it to replace it.
ZEKE65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Zeke65's 1965 Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

Started replacing the floor pans. Got the right side cut out, and the new one mostly fitted.

Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Zeke65's 1965 Beetle Build Thread Reply with quote

What brand / make of pans are you using? The seat rails look really sturdy ....are they as strong as the ones on the OEM pan?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: