Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question...
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
63 roach coach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

I have done lots of research on the freeway flyer subject. Not a lot of facts that I am seeing, just opinions. I have a stock 63 beetle, building a 1776 for it. MPGs are not a concern for me. I drive the car 4-6 times a month and just want a good all around cruiser that is fun to drive, but can cruise the freeway when needed.

Quick rundown on the motor specs so far.
- New mexican case
- Scat cast crank
- Scat cam and lifters, I dont remember which cam it is off the top of my head, but its very mild - One or two steps above a stock cam.
- CB performance pancihito 044 heads
- mallory Unilite distributor
- Dual Dellorto 40s

Would like some real-world examples of taller tires Vs freeway flyer tranny.

Curious if anyone knows what the tallest tire is that you can for under a stock VW fender. Would also like to lower the car down a notch or two, so keep that in mind. If Anyone has a car with a tall rear tire, I would love a picture and to know what your RPM is at 65.

Anyone have a similar motor to mine and a freeway flyer. What are your pros and cons list? Are you happy with it? Are you running 165s on the back and if so, what are your RPMs at 65?

Anything else that I might want to consider. Really only interested in facts, not opinions about something that an old timer once told you and somehow it became fact... Hopefully my saltiness doesn't sway anyone away from answering.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

lower ratios, higher tires may mean you need to down shift more frequently up hill and down hill for climbing ability, and engine braking. Acceleration also will suffer.

Bug On in any gear!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

What are you considering a “freeway flier”? A stock 3.88 ring & pinion, and the most common .93 4th? 4.12 x 82, 3.88 x 89, or 3.88 x .82? Either combos with the .82 have quite a bit of rpm drop from a stock 1.26 3rd, and a 3.88 x .82 would be pretty tall for a small engine to pull. How fast do you want to “cruise on the freeway”, 65, 75, 85? A stock 4.12 trans with an .89 4th will get you 70mph at 3450 with a 25 inch tire. Any tire larger than 26 inches looks silly to me, and you would really need to drop the rear to create a lowered appearance. You would need a 26.5 inch tire with your stock 4.37 x .89 trans in your 63 to get close to the 4.12 x .89 with the 25 inch tire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

Bigger tires = more weight, more rolling resistance. The engine RPMs will be lower for a given road speed, but that doesn't necessarily translate to a lower engine load. Checkout the off road section for all you could want to know about the biggest tires you can fit, and how that affects performance.

Changing the final drive has the advantage of lowering RPMs for a given engine speed, without increasing the weight or rolling resistance.
63 roach coach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

Appreciate the input, but still seeing more opinions than real-world results.

The freeway flyer that I am looking at is Benco's. They use a .82 4th gear, instead of the stock .89 that is in my car. Its like a $200 upgrade so I am not concerned about the cost in anyway. Mostly just don't want to be unsatisfied either way.

Kind of thinking that a taller tire is the better way to go for me, but would love to see some results of other setups.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

I'm running 205/75/15 on a Ghia, how big do you wanna go? It's common for the class 11 guys to run 215/75/15 & 235/75/15 on a stock bodied bug.

Do you need a transmission? If not, tires are cheaper. But your car can look silly if you're trying to sport big tires on a Cal-look car.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

I have to run a 205/75 on the back of my stock 4.37 to run 70 down the freeway without the engine sounding like it wants to come apart. The tire is nearly 26" tall. I hate the look. Plenty of torque even for a 1600cc. It's fine around town. I actually want to run a 23" again. First gear was pointless with the smaller tires. Driving from San Diego to Phoenix that way took a long time lol.

I'm still deciding on my gear set, but I'm pretty certain I want to go with a 3.88 R&P. Not sure about 4th. Probably need to play with a gear calculator for a bit.

I know that's not definitive info, just my experience.
63 roach coach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
I'm running 205/75/15 on a Ghia, how big do you wanna go? It's common for the class 11 guys to run 215/75/15 & 235/75/15 on a stock bodied bug.

Do you need a transmission? If not, tires are cheaper. But your car can look silly if you're trying to sport big tires on a Cal-look car.

Thanks for the information. Maybe I should do a search in the gallery for cars with a 205/75/15. I do need a transmission. Benco has them on sale right now and I have read that they are reputable and build a good transmission. I talked to one of the guys at their shop today and of course he was telling me that the higher 4th gear is the way to go, but I am still not really sold. I have other cars that I drive on a daily basis that are for commuting. The bug is for pleasure and I like manual transmissions ratios to be tight and fairly linear in relation to each other. I can also see myself wanting to drive on the freeway from time to time and don't want to get ran over.
63 roach coach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
I have to run a 205/75 on the back of my stock 4.37 to run 70 down the freeway without the engine sounding like it wants to come apart. The tire is nearly 26" tall. I hate the look. Plenty of torque even for a 1600cc. It's fine around town. I actually want to run a 23" again. First gear was pointless with the smaller tires. Driving from San Diego to Phoenix that way took a long time lol.

I'm still deciding on my gear set, but I'm pretty certain I want to go with a 3.88 R&P. Not sure about 4th. Probably need to play with a gear calculator for a bit.

Thanks for the information. Do you happen to know what RPM you were at when running the 205/75? I am going to do a gallery search for cars with this tire in the back. I kind of like the taller tire in the back, short tire in the front look. Sort of like a classic mullet hair do for your bug!
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

You can punch in different gear ratios and wheel sizes into a gear calculator to get the engine revs at speed with various combos, easier than waiting on somebody to come along with the combo and information you're looking for.
https://weddleindustries.com/gear-calculator
63 roach coach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
You can punch in different gear ratios and wheel sizes into a gear calculator to get the engine revs at speed with various combos, easier than waiting on somebody to come along with the combo and information you're looking for.

That calculator worked REALLY well. Thank you. I have tried a few others, but was unable to figure out what numbers went where. This one was much more intuitive. Thinking for what I like to use my car for, stock gearing and a little taller rear tire will be just fine.

Stock gearing, 25.4" stock tire size has me going 66 MPH at 3000 RPM, 77 MPH at 3500 RPM, 88 at 4000 RPM. Thinking that most of my freeway cruising is between 70 and 80, those should be fairly safe RPMs? Anyone disagree with those RPMs being safe? Motor specs above, but its a 1776 with a scat counter balanced crank.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

63 roach coach wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

Thanks for the information. Do you happen to know what RPM you were at when running the 205/75? I am going to do a gallery search for cars with this tire in the back. I kind of like the taller tire in the back, short tire in the front look. Sort of like a classic mullet hair do for your bug!

No tach. I'd guess with the standard gear set and the 26" tire, I turn 3600rpm at 70. Just a guess tho. At 75, the engine will start a vibration and I can feel the center main being realigned lol. I doubt this engine was balanced. I'll play with a calculator and see what I find.

I don't mind a bit bigger tire out back, but the 205/75's just look too bulky to me. Everyone has their preference tho.
63 roach coach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

63 roach coach wrote:
mukluk wrote:

That calculator worked REALLY well. Thank you. I have tried a few others, but was unable to figure out what numbers went where. This one was much more intuitive. Thinking for what I like to use my car for, stock gearing and a little taller rear tire will be just fine.

Stock gearing, 25.4" stock tire size has me going 66 MPH at 3000 RPM, 77 MPH at 3500 RPM, 88 at 4000 RPM. Thinking that most of my freeway cruising is between 70 and 80, those should be fairly safe RPMs? Anyone disagree with those RPMs being safe? Motor specs above, but its a 1776 with a scat counter balanced crank.

I had the wrong R&P gear ratio in there. The manual says that my car should have a 3.375:1 ratio so I am more like 68 at 3500 RPM Sad Not as good as I had it figured before.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

Lol. Just ran the calculation.
@ 3600rpm in fourth I'm doing 71.5mph. I must be good at estimation Laughing

That calculator someone post above is pretty easy to use.
63 roach coach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
What are you considering a “freeway flier”? A stock 3.88 ring & pinion, and the most common .93 4th? 4.12 x 82, 3.88 x 89, or 3.88 x .82? Either combos with the .82 have quite a bit of rpm drop from a stock 1.26 3rd, and a 3.88 x .82 would be pretty tall for a small engine to pull. How fast do you want to “cruise on the freeway”, 65, 75, 85? A stock 4.12 trans with an .89 4th will get you 70mph at 3450 with a 25 inch tire. Any tire larger than 26 inches looks silly to me, and you would really need to drop the rear to create a lowered appearance. You would need a 26.5 inch tire with your stock 4.37 x .89 trans in your 63 to get close to the 4.12 x .89 with the 25 inch tire.

I just came across this transmission that I am thinking might be the way to go. Here is the description.
Benco's pro street transaxles are rebuilt with performance and larger engines in mind, 4.12 ring and pinion, 3.80x2.06x1.26x.89, this transaxle features 12 volt starter bushing and 200mm flywheel bellhousing sizing, it is sold center section only, you will reuse you axle and tube set, (we have an axle install kit available separately) includes 4 spider dual snap ring superdiff, 2 h.d. side covers, t.i.g. welded gears, hard keys, steel forks, welded cross shaft, rebushed gear carrier, new mainshaft bearing, new pinion and differential bearings, new syncros, sand blasted cases, new hardware and seals, includes a 5 year unlimited mile warranty, (does not cover abuse, breakage, or shipping) priced outright/core charge included, call for core return/credit, will fit 1961-1968 bug and ghia, can be used for earlier cars with bus nose cone and hockey stick, can fit type 3 with type 3 single hole hockey stick, we can custom build anything you need FAST!, IRS also available
63 roach coach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Lol. Just ran the calculation.
@ 3600rpm in fourth I'm doing 71.5mph. I must be good at estimation Laughing

That calculator someone post above is pretty easy to use.

Nice! I agree.

There are so many numbers that were being thrown out there earlier in the post that are now making my brain swim. Someone above said that my stock R&P is 3.88, but in the manual, it says 4.375 Not sure which is correct, but assuming its the manual?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

Do you like the spacing of the gears now? If so, I’d go with them (3.80/2.06/1.32/.89) with a 4.12 ring & pinion. The more common 1.26 3rd combined with an .82 4th is going to have a little more noticeable rpm drop from 2nd-3rd-4th. The stock 63 trans would have a 4.37 r&p.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

Definitely not 3.88 unless someone swapped it. That didn't come out untill the 1600. Yours came with the 4.37
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

I mentioned a 3.88 r&p with a .93 4th being “a stock” combo. Sorry if I’m the one to confuse. VW did use this as a factory/stock combo, just not until 73-79 with the 1600’s in the Beetles. VW never used an .82 4th in a car from the factory. The Buses used them with lower r&p’s in the IRS trans, and in the earlier gear reduction trans.
63 roach coach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Do you like the spacing of the gears now? If so, I’d go with them (3.80/2.06/1.32/.89) with a 4.12 ring & pinion. The more common 1.26 3rd combined with an .82 4th is going to have a little more noticeable rpm drop from 2nd-3rd-4th. The stock 63 trans would have a 4.37 r&p.

I do like the spacing that it has now. Seem like a natural, even progression and also might help out with first being so short and somewhat useless. The Benco transmission that I think I am eyeballing now has the 4.12 R&P with stock gear ratios, but it looks like third is 1.26 instead of 1.32. That almost seems better though. Seems like third is kind of a weird gear when I am driving between 40 and 50 MPH.

[email protected] wrote:
I mentioned a 3.88 r&p with a .93 4th being “a stock” combo. Sorry if I’m the one to confuse. VW did use this as a factory/stock combo, just not until 73-79 with the 1600’s in the Beetles. VW never used an .82 4th in a car from the factory. The Buses used them with lower r&p’s in the IRS trans, and in the earlier gear reduction trans.

That makes more sense. Thanks for all of your input and clearing that up. I appreciate it
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: