Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

So for a more accurate "feel" ( I know that's an oxymoron ) I used my GPS to track my speed on the interstate. At 70mph, stock gearing and 4.37 with 26" tall tires, then engine felt comfortable (approx 3600rpm) at cruise. I still had more pedal. At 75, my shift light in my head was going off. 65 felt very nice and easy.

I know, nothing scientific, but a better description on feel.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

63 roach coach wrote:

Stock gearing, 25.4" stock tire size has me going 66 MPH at 3000 RPM, 77 MPH at 3500 RPM, 88 at 4000 RPM. Thinking that most of my freeway cruising is between 70 and 80, those should be fairly safe RPMs? Anyone disagree with those RPMs being safe? Motor specs above, but its a 1776 with a scat counter balanced crank.

you can turn 4000 rpm all day long with that combination.
i think it would be a mistake to gear it higher, the larger bore will give you some more torque, but the cam and heads will take it all away, so, you have no extra torque to bargain with.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

modok wrote:
63 roach coach wrote:

Stock gearing, 25.4" stock tire size has me going 66 MPH at 3000 RPM, 77 MPH at 3500 RPM, 88 at 4000 RPM. Thinking that most of my freeway cruising is between 70 and 80, those should be fairly safe RPMs? Anyone disagree with those RPMs being safe? Motor specs above, but its a 1776 with a scat counter balanced crank.

i think it would be a mistake to gear it higher, the larger bore will give you some more torque, but the cam and heads will take it all away, so, you have no extra torque to bargain with.

Just to clarify, this “stock gearing” is when 63 roach coach mistakenly calculated a 3.88 r&p with a 3.80/2.06/1.32/.89 gear stack. The gear stack is stock for a 63, but the r&p is not.

Having had a friend with an identical 1776 within a few compression tenths in a 66 Beetle to my 74 Super, his engine always ran hotter without any louvers in the deck lid. 4K is winging any Aircooled engine pretty high. If the op wants to run that high of rpm, they better have some gauges to monitor head/oil temps, and oil pressure. I disagree that his combo will run fine at any prolonged period of 4K rpm with a fully closed 63 deck lid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

63 roach coach wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
Do you like the spacing of the gears now? If so, I’d go with them (3.80/2.06/1.32/.89) with a 4.12 ring & pinion. The more common 1.26 3rd combined with an .82 4th is going to have a little more noticeable rpm drop from 2nd-3rd-4th. The stock 63 trans would have a 4.37 r&p.

I do like the spacing that it has now. Seem like a natural, even progression and also might help out with first being so short and somewhat useless. The Benco transmission that I think I am eyeballing now has the 4.12 R&P with stock gear ratios, but it looks like third is 1.26 instead of 1.32. That almost seems better though. Seems like third is kind of a weird gear when I am driving between 40 and 50 MPH.

[email protected] wrote:
I mentioned a 3.88 r&p with a .93 4th being “a stock” combo. Sorry if I’m the one to confuse. VW did use this as a factory/stock combo, just not until 73-79 with the 1600’s in the Beetles. VW never used an .82 4th in a car from the factory. The Buses used them with lower r&p’s in the IRS trans, and in the earlier gear reduction trans.

That makes more sense. Thanks for all of your input and clearing that up. I appreciate it

The transmission you spoke of above with the 1.26:1 3rd gear matches what vw installed in the '67 beetle and seems to be a popular upgrade when going with a bigger engine.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pbenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

You're going up a long hill in 4th and losing power... do you want a wide ratio drop to 3rd or the stock ratio drop?

To my mind, that's why I would prefer a 3:88 R&P with stock ratios to a Freeway Flyer. '70s Mexican swingaxles were 3:88.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

pbenn wrote:
You're going up a long hill in 4th and losing power... do you want a wide ratio drop to 3rd or the stock ratio drop?

To my mind, that's why I would prefer a 3:88 R&P with stock ratios to a Freeway Flyer. '70s Mexican swingaxles were 3:88.

I want a bigger engine. That eliminates the drop in power and keeps the gearing stock. Plus the engine does not work as hard and lasts longer.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
modok wrote:
63 roach coach wrote:

Just to clarify, this “stock gearing” is when 63 roach coach mistakenly calculated a 3.88 r&p with a 3.80/2.06/1.32/.89 gear stack. The gear stack is stock for a 63, but the r&p is not.

Having had a friend with an identical 1776 within a few compression tenths in a 66 Beetle to my 74 Super, his engine always ran hotter without any louvers in the deck lid. 4K is winging any Aircooled engine pretty high. If the op wants to run that high of rpm, they better have some gauges to monitor head/oil temps, and oil pressure. I disagree that his combo will run fine at any prolonged period of 4K rpm with a fully closed 63 deck lid.

Why in gods name would anybody build an engine with a 4500rpm torque peak in the first place if your afraid of prolonged RPMS over 4000? Evidently not for highway use?
Just doesn't make any sense, and higher gearing won't fix it. Just have to GO slower to resolve that, anything will work if you just go slow enough, but then why gear it higher? Only valid reason would be to get you out of a weird DIP in the power curve where it's unhappy, but you could also get out of it the other direction, or fix the dip.
IMO build it so it CAN go 4500rpm,, it is very possible! I agree many can't, but it is almost always self inflicted problem of no oil cooling, or poor exhaust design, ect. 69 stroke, good crank, the lower end can handle 4500, although the stock induction and cooling and oil system aren't really made for it, so that needs to be addressed to do it.
More often the motivation to gear higher is more MPG and longer life, which is very logical on the surface, but that only works IN CONJUNCTION with building the engine to be happy at the lower rpms you now run it. A simple engine has a "happy place" around the torque peak where it is not only strongest but also most efficient, and that's just how it is, especially with two valve heads and carburetors. Lower RPMS less friction yes, but IF the burn is less efficient, it may be a wash. So you see my logic here? Build it to be happy where you want it to be happy!
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

I always laugh when people want a beetle that'll cruise at 80mph.

Buy a new car.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Why in gods name would anybody build an engine with a 4500rpm torque peak in the first place if your afraid of prolonged RPMS over 4000? Evidently not for highway use?......

......IMO build it so it CAN go 4500rpm,, it is very possible! I agree many can't, but it is almost always self inflicted problem of no oil cooling, or poor exhaust design, ect. 69 stroke, good crank, the lower end can handle 4500, although the stock induction and cooling and oil system aren't really made for it, so that needs to be addressed to do it.
More often the motivation to gear higher is more MPG and longer life, which is very logical on the surface, but that only works IN CONJUNCTION with building the engine to be happy at the lower rpms you now run it. A simple engine has a "happy place" around the torque peak where it is not only strongest but also most efficient, and that's just how it is, especially with two valve heads and carburetors. Lower RPMS less friction yes, but IF the burn is less efficient, it may be a wash. So you see my logic here? Build it to be happy where you want it to be happy!

What engine are we talking about with the torque curve peak at 4500rpm? It’s not the op’s with the C20/C25 cam, or the pair in my example with W110’s. I agree that there are steps that can be taken to allow an Aircooled VW engine to be driven at higher than normal rpms, and still live. It’s just that 95% of the hobby’s enthusiasts don’t do, or know how to do what’s needed. Simply telling someone their new engine can cruise down the interstate at 4K all day without knowing much more than the parts list can be a real quick way to ruin someone’s day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

The heads.
"happy place" is a function of port velocity and displacement.
Camshaft.,....a good simplification is, with cam shaft duration you can adjust the much is above VS how much is below the happy place.

but, i didn't even look at the cam, but the combo IMo isn't ideal for highway cruising and maybe THAT needs adjustment? We are really headed off topic then, maybe I best crawl back into the high performance section and leave you guys be.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

This is a tangent to the thread, but is a reminder that there are cause, and effect situations when things start deviating from stock. Sorry to have gotten things off track. I’ve taken apart way too many engines with burnt pistons, and dropped seats from melted heads. Some were careless things like missing engine seals, or tin, but most were customers that had good/fresh engines that simply didn’t pay attention to the limitations of them.

You have to really determine what you are going to use the vehicle for 80% of the time, and base any gearing change on that. Then you will have to live with what the choice for the other 20%, whether it turns out good/bad/o.k., gives you while driving during the 80%. Building the engine to accommodate a specific change optimizes both. The op hasen’t replied in a week, so they have moved on, but at least this may be another reference point for someone else’s search.
63 roach coach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you that have chimed in and provided valuable information. I appreciate it.

Mos6502 wrote:
I always laugh when people want a beetle that'll cruise at 80mph.

Buy a new car.

This is what I was talking about when I posted and asked for real-world examples, hoping that the trolls would stay out. I have a new BMW that I commute in. My wife drives a new GTI. We also have a jeep wrangler. The beetle is a fun little car that I am in the process of restoring, but it doesn't serve any purpose other than being fun. In the original post I state that I drive the car 4-6 times a month, not this is my only transportation. Trolls like you are the reason that I hate forums, but a version of you lives on everyone that I have ever been on.
63 roach coach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
This is a tangent to the thread, but is a reminder that there are cause, and effect situations when things start deviating from stock. Sorry to have gotten things off track. I’ve taken apart way too many engines with burnt pistons, and dropped seats from melted heads. Some were careless things like missing engine seals, or tin, but most were customers that had good/fresh engines that simply didn’t pay attention to the limitations of them.

You have to really determine what you are going to use the vehicle for 80% of the time, and base any gearing change on that. Then you will have to live with what the choice for the other 20%, whether it turns out good/bad/o.k., gives you while driving during the 80%. Building the engine to accommodate a specific change optimizes both. The op hasen’t replied in a week, so they have moved on, but at least this may be another reference point for someone else’s search.

Sorry, had a crazy couple of weeks at work and haven't had time to get back to this thread. I think this is a good call out. So what I am going to be using the car for 80% of the time is just cruising around town and country roads during the summer. Maybe an occasional late fall, or early spring drive but this is not a car that I need or want to drive everyday. 20% of the time might see some 65-80 MPH freeway action.

Opinion on this set up? - 4.12 ring and pinion, 3.80x2.06x1.26x.89
AZOffTheWall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

Stock VW transaxle from 67-72 was 3.80/2.06/1.26/.88 or .89 with a 4.12 ring and pinion, they work perfectly with a slightly modified dual port and larger tire. I think the biggest tire you'll be able to fit with a short axle and lowered is a 205/70/15.
I have 205's and a 3.88 with 3.80/2.06/1.26 but a .93 fourth so the final drive is about the same but 1st thru 3rd are taller. Car is at about 2800 rpm at 60mph, 3200 @ 70mph, i also have a bigger motor making more power to pull the taller gear.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

FWIW - I've run my 4.375:1 final drive Baja with 215/75R15 tires for over 20 years now. It's just a 1600DP, nothing special beyond a Baja QP extractor. But I like how it runs. It's comparable to the Mid-70s era Beetles. Just from a statistical point of view, I saved ratio-tire size-speed calculator eons ago and have used to create a few charts here and there.

This is my Baja compared to how a stock 1973 lines out with modern 165/80R15 radials (original bias plies were often a bit taller than their radial equivalents)

-damn, I thought in the past I've been able to get these two images to display side by side but the site is stacking them instead.-

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

edit: and old photo of my speedometer vs tachometer (which reads high by like 200RPM) in this Baja:

Making that 200RPM correction, that's 4100 at 86, which is actually right in line with the the chart above, which says to expect 4000RPM at 84.66.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.

Last edited by glutamodo on Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

63 roach coach wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Sorry, had a crazy couple of weeks at work and haven't had time to get back to this thread. I think this is a good call out. So what I am going to be using the car for 80% of the time is just cruising around town and country roads during the summer. Maybe an occasional late fall, or early spring drive but this is not a car that I need or want to drive everyday. 20% of the time might see some 65-80 MPH freeway action.

The 3.80/2.06/1.26/.89 with the 4.12 r&p is a stock late swing axle and will work fine for what you want. Having 1.35, and 1.41 3rds in a couple cars, I’d switch to a 1.31 3rd. That’s a stock VW gearset, so it shouldn’t ad much cost to the build. Then it will be the same spacing you already have, just all a little higher with the higher 4.12 r&p.
63 roach coach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
63 roach coach wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

The 3.80/2.06/1.26/.89 with the 4.12 r&p is a stock late swing axle and will work fine for what you want. Having 1.35, and 1.41 3rds in a couple cars, I’d switch to a 1.31 3rd. That’s a stock VW gearset, so it shouldn’t ad much cost to the build. Then it will be the same spacing you already have, just all a little higher with the higher 4.12 r&p.

Rad! Thanks for the continuous input. I really appreciate it. Pretty sure this is the one that I will go with. I will save my stupid questions about a front beam until I am ready to purchase one in a month or two. Slowly gathering parts so I can build it all at once.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

I guess now, it's to the point where the 4.375 swingaxle is like totally unwanted these days. I think it's fine with the 1200 engine... I've always had that in my 62, and that's always been a 1385 big bore 40HP. However, at one point when working on the 1600DP engine in my aforementioned Baja bug, I temporarily put in an extra engine I had lying around, another big bore 40HP. With the taller ratios provided by the 215 rear tires, the Baja was a hell of a lot less enjoyable to drive than I was used to. I mean, it still drove OK, but it felt like it needed to "grow a pair" if you know what I mean.

Now, in my 62, ever since I started to lose 4th gear several years ago, I had planned to replace that tranny with one set up 4.125, which I think will work OK with my big bore 40HP and will be even better if I ever finish putting together the low-key economy/performance 1500SP with dual ICTs that is a work in progress ( I should have all the parts to finish it, some assembly required, short block is ready though) And the plans to change the tranny came to a head recently when I totally lost 4th gear. So I bought a replacement rebuilt 412. Unfortunately, I think I'll have to eat the core charge - they specified "only 12V transaxles" as acceptable cores. Really, why not just SAY "We don't want no more stinking 4.375s" but I will have to check the core I have in shipping box stored away, for all I know the case might be from the 12V era, even though I know it's a 4.375 diff)

Still, despite 4.375 final drive in my 62, in preparation to remove that tranny from my car, I though I'd heat the drivetrain up a bit prior to draining the oil out of it. So last week, I did a 40 mile round trip out of town on a state highway that doesn't see much traffic. Even limited to 3rd gear, I was still hitting 60MPH much of time and sometimes 65MPH down hills - you might say I'm pushing that 1385 too hard, maybe, but I remember taking a lot of precise care in balancing the pistons and rods when I built it, it's the smoothest running 40HP-series engine I've ever built. And it was time to change the oil on it as well, so just heat the thing up!

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

There are some parts more desireable in the early swing axle trans than the later ones, so they aren’t totally worthless. The 4.37 r&p is simply not used as often. I’m coming across more and more people with original 36/40hp engines actually wanting a 4.37 trans for more pep cruising around town. The Pre-60 split cased trans 4.43 r&p with an .80/.82 is actually a closer to the 4.12/.89. Installing a 4.37 61-66 trans in a Pre-60 car with a 36hp wakes up the engine a little with the lower gearing.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another freeway flyer Vs taller tires question... Reply with quote

Good points there. Still, I got a distinct impression when talking on the phone when ordering up that 4.125 tranny that the 4.375s were like totally out of vogue.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: