Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vent window restoration
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wetminkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: Vent window restoration Reply with quote

This needs to be done for all bugs at some point, so some history:
This is a vent window pivot rivet, finished with a red fiber washer to prevent friction, and a metal rivet washer, by the Volkswagen factory in late 1971 - early 1972:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the rivet and rivet washer disassembled:

These are used in all bus and sedan vent windows from the late fifties through about 1977.
The washer allows the installer to simply flair the end of the rivet (inside the countersink in the center of the washer), rather than flair and then turn the rivet edges over (as with a rivet with no washer). A much easier and more aesthetic installation,...absolutely amazing that they are not reproduced!
No one seems to have ever seen a rivet washer like this, and these domed rivets are nearly impossible to find. How is it that available vent window rivets are flat topped, and used with no rivet washer? They look terrible, in comparison.
I'd be more than just pleased if someone had a rivet washer that they would part with. And I'd like to find a source for a pair of these rivets with red fiber washers.
Why are the crappy, available vent window rivets reproduced and used? I'm sorry, this just seems so stupid to me,...
Todd.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Vent window restoration Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711363

How come you didn't buy the rivets from Antiono ?

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wetminkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Vent window restoration Reply with quote

I was fully ready to after waiting all this time, and being totally discouraged by my further searches and inquiries. But Antonio just sold/sent his entire inventory of these kinds of items to someone in Germany. My PM to him here has gone unanswered. I wanted to ask if I might be able to contact the buyer,...
Antonio Trejo
VW Parts Dealer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Vent window restoration Reply with quote

I sent you my reply yesterdsy.
Genuine VW Ultima Edition parts
Genuine VW Type 2 watercooled parts
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wetminkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Vent window restoration Reply with quote

And I REALLY appreciate it, Antonio!! I'll keep my fingers crossed,...
wetminkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Vent window restoration Reply with quote

MAN! What kinda people do we have in VW restoration anymore?!
35 emails out to Samba-listed salvage yards and parts people, got about a handful back, and a couple of responses are kinda shocking.
"I just use aluminum rivets",...yeah I'll bet you fix stuff with baling twine and coathanger wire, too! Cute, but NOT the point.
"We only handle bus stuff",...I've received a couple like that. If the 'bus people' would have continued to read past 'Superbeetle' they would see that these items fit ALL VW vent window pivots! But it seems that some bus folks aren't interested in helping with parts for a sedan,...
Folks with attitudes, I guess.
I did get back some nice responses, letting me know that they did not have the part (s), and wishing me good luck with my search, but I have been surprised by some,...
I find this search to challenging, intriguing, and like a search to restore some real history to this Superbeetle! Sorry some find it trivial,...
Todd.
wetminkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent window restoration Reply with quote

Yahoo!
Perseverance and some work pay off,...big time!
Found 'em. Only four, but I got my pair and thought I'd post for anyone else that might be watching this thread.
Bob's VW in Utah has two more of these vent window pivot rivets right now. Contact is via phone: 801-964-6265. I spoke to Daryl. They're cheap,...so is shipping from Utah!
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Best of luck with vent window restoration, everyone! I'll post further with tools and methods.
Thank you everyone. My SB will be beautiful, even to details,...
Happy Todd.
wetminkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent window restoration Reply with quote

Just because I think it's important that someone get the chance at the "last I know of" special rivets in Utah, I'm gonna 'BUMP' this post. Info above,...
wetminkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent window restoration Reply with quote

They're in my hand RIGHT NOW! Man, are they beautiful.
wetminkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent window restoration Reply with quote

Ready for rivet installation and final cleanup/polish.
Here they are, the elusive and pretty vent window rivets:

My Superbeetle is worth the effort to keep it as close to original as possible.
Red fiber M4 x 9 x 1 washers will be easy, an aluminum M4 x 10 x 3.5 washer will be more of a challenge,...
wetminkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent window restoration Reply with quote

Cheated and ordered (crappy looking) a set of flat-topped rivets WITH the M4 x 9 x 1 red paper fiber washers from a vendor,...$7. Our local Ace Hardware is just too small to have something that small,...
I'll chuck the rivets in my parts bin and use the washers on my bug with my PRETTY rivets!
Ace Hardware DOES have aluminum rod stock, and (unless something else comes up) I plan on cutting 4mm slices from it and tooling my own M4 x 10 x 3.5 domed rivet washer(s). Nothing else of that diameter is that thick, and I do not find anything else available.
I'll post pics!
Todd.
wetminkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent window restoration Reply with quote

I'm not one to take "no" for an answer, so when no one else had ever even heard of vent window pivot rivet washers, I fabricated my own to match my original Volkswagen one!
Here's how it's done, and here's my result:

3/8" aluminum rod. Drill the center, countersink, grind the outer edge to contour, cut off. Takes about an hour, each. I think I'll give 'em a coat of satin black,...
Now I have a matching pair in my vent window pivots. And setting the rivet only requires spreading the end of the shaft into the countersink! No 'rolling the edges over'!
These will perfectly complement the 'mushroom' shaped, VW rivets!
Best of luck with your vent window restorations!
Todd.
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent window restoration Reply with quote

wetminkey wrote:
... so when no one else had ever even heard of vent window pivot rivet washers, I fabricated my own to match my original Volkswagen one! ...

That's the way to go - very well done Sir!
wetminkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Vent window restoration Reply with quote

Thank you, Maddel! It was really easy.
I can't believe that no one knows how cool these little items are for finishing the vent window pivot rivets! They eliminate the most difficult part of the rivet finishing process.
And I can't believe that no one has seen them before!
But, since the matching 'mushroom shaped' rivets are hard to find anymore, it doesn't surprise me too much,...the washers don't go very well with the USUAL flat topped rivets that everyone has to use,...!
Todd.
wetminkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent window restoration Reply with quote

Sorry about the long pause while temps in the garage became manageable again,...
These came out perfectly! Finished product:

A small steel ball worked OK to start, but the best tool to flare the rivet into the washer was a steel 45 degree angle cone (centering/clamping tool from a lathe),...
All German rivet/washer on the pass. side (as original), and my fabricated, aluminum washer is on driver's.
Rivet washers make finishing a rivet REALLY EASY! And anyone can make these in no time!
Long lost VW history,...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: