Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now.
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

Over the past 4 years I have built a lot of buggies for others. I really enjoyed getting to spend other people's money, and learn a lot of new things that I would not have tried myself. Different Water Cooled buggies, piecing bodies back together, original period style builds, wild customs, heavy, light.

So after several years collecting parts, a stack of titled chassis, bodies out the wazoo, several early tagged Manx bodies, too many wheel combinations for one sane person to own in a lifetime, lost track of cool seat pairs, disc brake sets, lots of new fiberglass parts, pedal sets, Hurst Shifters, blah blah whatever. I have decided to not build for anyone else for several years. It is now time for me to build my stuff.

This thread is not about any single build, (I have several completed build threads on here already, a few on the Manx Club Forum website, and one on a FB page). This thread is just about my crazy ideas, what screw ups I get into, crap I flat out ruin, different looks, different build styles, complicated builds, bare bone builds, lowered, lifted, and whatever.

I have done all my imagination can with the Puzzle Manx, (Search "Basket Case Manx II" on this forum if you are interested), driven it across the US 4 times, to Alaska, raced the Baja 1000 with it, and I am done with it. I have parted it out, stored the body away because the wife will not let me sell it. So, I need a buggy to drive.

The first two builds will happen almost side-by-side. A mild bare bones, and a Lifted Water Pumper. Both will get sweet original Manx I tagged bodies I have hoarded. I need a buggy to just pound the street with, light weight, simple and it will get the Puzzle Manx's 2.2 liter engine. The other will be kind of purpose built for off road with the intention on taking me across the US again, but off roading the way across, so it will reflect that need.

Some Transaxles I have gotten built in the last 3 years. All 091s with the Bus-To-Beetle conversions. This puts the shift rod in the tunnel without tilting the transaxle, and has the better Beetle shift mechanism to make shifting better than a stock 091. All have a 002 bellhousing so they use a Beetle based starter.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

One future build will be a custom tube chassis I am going to build to race, and will get this ACME Fiberglass floor I picked up in a swap meet.

2, 2.2 engines, but so drastically different.

First Chassis up, and on the chassis table. Pans have already been stripped off, and no need to post up the process of cutting them off.

First body up. This will be the street beater, light weight, slightly lower than normal and just simple.

I have to leave early Sunday Morning for a three week solid work stint out of town. After that, only one day a week of work, and the rest is Garage Time for me!

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tgodber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

I need a job like that! Looking forward to your posts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AMAC1680
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

tgodber wrote:
I need a job like that! Looking forward to your posts.

It takes a while to get to that point in life, joes not as young as he once was !

All kidding aside I look forward to your thread. You build nice buggies my friend.

AMAC
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

Interesting!

What is the water pumper out of?
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

Popcorn Popcorn
I have a feeling this will be at least a 2 bag show....
Joe's court is now in session!

Paul

(With way more projects than spare time!)
neohic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
I have done all my imagination can with the Puzzle Manx... I have parted it out...

Kinda sad to hear this. Sad

Hi, Joe! Very much looking forward to following along with all this. You've done an amazing job of documenting your previous builds and it's really been inspiring. The Puzzle Manx was a huge push for me to work on mine after we met in Minnesota years ago! Mine has been been sitting for too long and I recently had to move it out of the storage spot it had. It's nice to see it every day but it's a sad reminder of how long its been since I've been able to work on it. Maybe this will be the push I need again?

Thanks for continuing to show us what you're capable of building, Joe. I'll definitely be following. Very Happy

I like to build stuff...
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

Some funny stuff guys!

I may not be as old as I feel, but at 53, I do not have retirement, so the one day per week gig is not a well paying career. But that Garage Time just cannot be beat!

Stay tuned Paul, the Towd may get started this year.

The Water Pumper is out of a '06 Cobalt if memory serves correct. I have it documented because the system gets direct programmed for the year and month due to on going updates GM does during manufacturing. Have been working with a programmer to get it set up. Since this is a later model with a style similar to the Cummin's common rail, it makes the fuel delivery system a lot nicer.

Ben, everything is for a time and season, as are we. The PM's body is not getting destroyed, just moth balled. Never know if or when it may pop it's head out for a breath of fresh air. Jeeps are cool too. I have had several and my daily is one too. But in no way do they hold a comparison to a buggy. Both are fun, just different. Keep the faith.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

Finishing up for the day and getting ready to pack my tools for the next three weeks. but did get some things accomplished.

I am not looking for arguments on how or why I do things, I just do them sometimes because I want to, I can, or think it adds to a build's quality. The tasks I do are not a "OMG, now I gotta do that too or I will die" task. They are just going another step further in building something. You will be fine without doing some of these quirky things I do. Often they are just a signature of mine.

One item I feel is lacking on strength, or could be improved is the stock shock towers on a Beam. BJ or L&KP. VW stamped the shock towers, slid them on the beam tube and pinch welded the haves together. This does leave a lot to be desired. Sometimes they leave gaps for road water to get in and start the rusting process. Sometimes the pinch welds or poorly matched up/do not penetrate deep enough to be strong.

So I media blast the beams with the arms in it to keep the media out of the needle bearings. This cleans them up nicely for working on. (since I dislike blasting, when I do it, I try to lump in all kinds of future use parts and get the nastiness done at one time)

Then Grind the edges of the pinch welds down until the seams are even with each other and fresh metal.

Then weld the seams continuously all the way around except for the bottom drain hole. This makes the shock tower a lot stronger, sealed up against corrosion, and neater to look at.

And since I am so nice, I do it twice! Very Happy

Well, off to Cincinnati for three weeks.

calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

Can't wait to follow your builds! Thanks for letting us live vicariously though you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

Joe, I'm sure I am not alone in the notion that there are times, when reading your build logs, that I truly am disgusted. With no intent, you manage to make us all feel totally inadequate with what we consider "good enough". Your build quality is spectacularly over the top, with redundancy after redundancy.

Thanks for setting the bar so high: gives us mere mortals something to look up to and shoot for, knowing full well that our best will pale in comparison.

Between you and Aussie Brad we have big boots to fill.

Paul.... with the greatest admiration intended.

Last edited by hillmotorsports on Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

That is funny Paul! Tell Rosemarie Dar and I said hey. Missed seeing you two in '18. Hope to see you in '19.

As for building, I am THE bull in the china shop. My build experience has come about from breaking anything I have driven, ruined a lot of good parts, and in general, contributed to the recycling industry. So, I do not know how to build things, I know how not to ruin a lot of items, and how to "pre-fix" things.

As a funny side note, Last year when we raced the Baja, we did get a lot of sponsors, and had some good fun with it. One huge sponsor was Marty just outside of Saint Louis. Marty owns a sign shop, is an artist, and a fantastic friend. Marty printed all of our sponsor details and the Bad New Racing decals. In addition, he did the sponsor decals and numbering for the two DBSE's in our class, # 346 and # 302.

In appreciation for his fantastic efforts, instead of a photo and a thank you, we did something a little more personal and put some effort into it. Chris has a commercial art friend who made us a rendering of Marty driving the Puzzle Manx. Turned out super, and Marty loved it.

Just something funny and up lifting. Life is short, enjoy your friends.

hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

Well Joe, it's like this: she-who-must-be-obeyed has decreed that regardless of how much we miss our buggy friends and the camaraderie of the events I am not allowed to sign us up for more until such time as I can get our Tow'd together to have our own buggy at said event.
And that is in spite of the welts on my back as she drives me to finish other things that she has prioritized as more important.

The good news is that the list is diminishing gradually. The bad news is that I have been conscripted to drive our sons' 18 wheeler race transporter occasionally, although I somehow was able to dodge the 6000 mile round trip to Laguna Seca last month. It would have been nice to witness their 3 cars finish in the top 5 both days, esp with the win on Sunday but being so close to Christmas made it a difficult choice.
Now the big distraction is #1 son's wedding in 2 weeks.

The joy's of family.... but wouldn't want it any other way.

Paul

wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

I'll be looking in here more often with another "joebuilt" car coming up.

Joe, I have to admit I had the same reaction as others when you said you had parted your orange buggy, but then I figured either that you had completely worn it out (!) or that you learned a lot from it and decided to make (yet) another, better one. Regardless, like you said, you don't need to justify any choice you make to anyone but yourself!

I'm looking forward to see your water pumper build come together.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

I am very interested to see how the two compare for weight. Air cooled vs water pumper.
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

So.... what's the latest news to report???
My popcorn is getting stale waiting....

Paul

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

hillmotorsports wrote:
So.... what's the latest news to report???
My popcorn is getting stale waiting....

Paul

Going to have to wait another couple weeks Paul. I am working 7 days a week in Cincinnati Ohio, and in the 26th straight day. Expecting to complete the project this weekend. A little time to decompress and I will be back to one-day a week Work and building the chassis. Hang in there Snow Dog, I will have some entertainment for you shortly.

hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

Things haven't exactly gone as planned here. As if the extreme cold wasn't enough we now have record snows to.go with it.
But I'm soon getting a break... sort of.
Tuesday Rosemarie and I head to Rd Atlanta Georgia with our sons' 18 wheeler with 3 race cars for an event next weekend. The forecast isn't all sunshine but it beats what we're leaving behind!
Hopefully when we get home I can get back to the honey-do list.

Paul

slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

After 10 years, 7 ground up builds on bugs, buggies and busses, and 10 engines, I ran screaming from the garage padlocked the door on the way out and I'm enjoying the winter working in the basement, playing with my model trains, I just don't have any more automotive juice left in my batteries......just the opposite of you Joe LOL.

I hope one of your future builds is on for the salt and maybe I'll see you there in 2020. This summer I'll start tearing my car apart to make some changes. Probably add more weight to the nose and redo the dash and electrical as well as some of the plumbing.

Always look forward to watching you builds, this post will be great as we will all get to see the little things than make your cars great (and the stuff that gets discarded) either way, we all learn. Thanks for that.

brad
SiggyManx#33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

I can't wait to see what works of art you put together when you get back to it.
karu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

Popcorn

I sure will be enjoying your build!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: