Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

I know how you feel. I used to get really mad when I saw shitty work coming into the shop or incorrect repairs that were done just to sell parts. And I used to call guys out on it when they worked in the same shop I did. The automotive trade has a bad enough rap without guys in your own shop contributing to it.

The new engine is coming along. just getting the turbo plumbing figured out and trying to decide what to do with the wiring harness. Like anything I buy I can't leave it alone. Moving the cross pipe behind the shroud to make room for a water to air intercooler.

Are you still going to get to Bonneville and tick another box off your bucket list? I think 2020 will be a good year, I know a few guys took this year off and are planning for next, should be a big VW group.

brad
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:

Are you still going to get to Bonneville and tick another box off your bucket list? I think 2020 will be a good year, I know a few guys took this year off and are planning for next, should be a big VW group.

brad

Well, I was talking to Darlene about that last year. And she asked some very good questions.

1. So, what is this salt flats thing? Short Answer, Go Fast in 3 miles.
2. How fast do you expect to go? Short Answer, Well Brad tipped 130, I would like to hit 120 to 125 if possible without modifying the Puzzle Manx Body.
3. How fast did you go while drag racing? A Lot Faster Than that Ha Ha Ha! (uh oh!)

At this point, a feeling of hopeless despair started to come over me, and my thoughts started to turn to wondering how I could quickly end this conversation before the Rabbit hole I am in starts caving in around me.

4. How fast did you go in the VW's, not the V8's when you were drag racing? Uhmm... 121
5. Will you need to build a 4th chassis for this? Yes.
6. Will the new chassis cost the same as the Baja Chassis? Oh no! About half that.
7. Will you be able to run the engine that is in the Puzzle Manx now? No. It is a street engine, I will build a bullet for this.
8. How much will the new engine cost? Uhmm.. around $ 8 to $ 10 K.....maybe.
9. How much did the Baja chassis cost, to expect the Salt chassis to 1/2 of? Uhmmm (now I am starting to mumble, but she asks "what?") $ 22 K
10. How many passes will you make with it? Uhmmmm (kill me now God!!) About 5 to 6 maybe.
11. Where is the Salt flats? Almost to California.
12. Are there, like, curves on this track to make, like laps at speed? No, just straight.
13. So, let me summarize, you are going to spend about $ 25 to $ 30 K to go run 6 passes in a straight line, and not go near as fast as you did in the V8's, and only marginally faster than you did in the VW's? (F#&%!!!) Well, yes.
14. How much did NORRA cost us? (Double F#&%!!!!) About $ 45 K.
15. Is NORRA all paid off? Not yet, but very close.
16. Will you be able to put this engine in another buggy and sell it after you race it? No. It will be like my V8 engines were, not streetable.
17. Can we drive the buggy on this 4th Chassis? No, it will be a single eater and super low.
18. You did not drive the buggy in the NORRA Race due to health concerns, would this be the same way? Uhmmm........mumble and cough, (hope the phone would ring), and kind of change the subject.

Darlene never said no. And she would support me doing it 100%. But we have never again spoke of it.

With my age, my health condition, and looking back on the life I have had and the experiences I have had, I cannot afford to blindly spend like this and expect for me to leave any type of retirement for Darlene. Since that conversation, I have paid off the NORRA race debt, more than doubled our retirement investments and diversity, (the positive stock market has been a big help in that) and continue to add to it weekly. So I am building a nice bit for Darlene's next husband to enjoy, and maybe he will take the toys and run the Salt.

For now, I am going to build the 11 buggies I have and enjoy them, sell/trade them. I will firmly enjoy your exploits and live through your experiences on the Salt. Best of luck!

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

Damn Joe, I'm really sorry to hear that. I was looking forward to having another hardcore buggy guy run. There's been a couple others but it's always nice to have another. Don't wives have the habit of bringing us crashing to earth and reality Very Happy . Actually mine is my biggest fan and although she is not the happiest with the cost of my latest upgrade she still wants me to do it.

I've actually done all my runs on the 1 mile street car course. I haven't as yet stepped up to the 3 mile competition class short course. Next year I'm going to run on the longer 2 1/4 mile street class course to try for 150mph.

Honestly to run the one mile is very easy. full fire suilt and gear, probably what you needed for the NORRA race, "H" rated tires with steel valve stems, an 1 1/2" funny car style cage for open cars like ours and a health love of open air speed. I ran 121 in my orange car with a fairly tame 2332 street engine. 42x37.5 044 heads with a mild fluff and buff, Engle 130 with 1.25 rockers, ChroMo pushrods, 1 3//4" header and 44HPMX carbs that were still factory jetted, I didn't have any other jets with me, couldn't afford them. I was still very much a novice when I built that engine. It wasn't even balanced

brad
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

Again Sir, wonderful work and thank you for the feedback on everyone's questions or comments!
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

Always a pleasure to watch your builds Joe!!
I'm now itching to tear my car back down, we have our powder coat booth set up at work........ Very Happy
Project#2. Neighbors build up. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327008
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

As life sometimes dictates, plans do not always go as intended.

I do not see me getting the first two buggies I started on done by December 31st this year, 2019. But, I did finish two buggy builds this year, and I am way down the road on the third.

I have been super busy with both work and building the second buggy. So I have Slacked on updating this thread, and intend to get it back on track in the next few days. So hang on for a HUGE burst of posts!

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

The lifted buggy will have the Ecotec engine with the 6 rib 091 transaxle in it, and will have more weight applied to the torsions because of it. The torsion bars will be increased in size from 22 mm diameter to 29 mm diameter, and hooked to a 3 inch longer trailing arm. When this is done, the stress transferred to the rear torsion housing center spline section is greatly increased, to the point it can strip the splines. (Stock torsion bar on the bottom, and Sway A Way 29 mm torsion bar on top. Both 26 9/16" long)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On the Manxter I built in '16, the owner wanted to use 28mm torsion bars do to the Subaru engine and trans increasing the weight. When he was at MOTB on the NC Outer Banks in '17, it stripped the inner splines on one side while we were on Ocracoke Island. I replaced the inner splines with a Sway A Way center section. Because of that experience, I will do this one up front.

First I drill out the spot welds on the rear cross member cover plate to gain better access to the center.

Take several good repeatable measurements of the forward trans mount.

Cut the mount out. (you can see the SAW center section)

Cut out the original VW center spline section.

You can see the difference in splines from the original and the new replacement.

Tack weld in the new center.

I use the torsion bars with antiseize applied to the splines to help center the new section. I use cardboard or other items to center the torsion bar in the center of the torsion beam tube to get the center section welded in true.

Weld the center section.

Use the measurements of the forward trans mount I took earlier and re-position it in place.

Flip the chassis over and weld the top side.

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

Next on the lifted buggy is to shorten the chassis. This chassis will be shortened 13 inches instead of the usual 14 1/2 inches. This will help keep the Ecotec head from coming into the rear firewall on the package trey area.

To start out, I already cut the clutch tube and the accelerator tube loose from the rearmost weld. (even though this will get a drive-by-wire accel pedal, it will retain the stock accel tube "just in case").

Before cutting them loose I measured the distance from the chassis to the end of the tube to repeat once the shortening was complete. I do the same on the mechanical Brake tubes.

Next is to cut loose the mechanical brake (emergency brake) cable tubes. I use a 3/4 inch hole saw to drill out the welds. just center it in the tube and drill.

Since I already cut the bottom of the tunnel, and cleaned out the excess tubes, time to cut the top. Now here again is something I do that is not necessarily needed, I just like to do it. I cut the top of the tunnel off in the rear, weld in some strengthening strips on the pinch weld seam so I can cut the pinch weld seam out for a flat floor. It is a lot of extra work, but I like the cleaner outcome.

Notice the staggered undercut. Only three side will line up, the bottom weld seam will be forward to add strength.

Cut the outside Pinch Weld seam off with a saw-saw. Rough, but will grind flat and weld the gap.

Pull the sections together and weld it all together. Note the Two Fuel lines, and on the Pass-Side too. The engine needs a supply and return, and the fuel system on the engine is on the Pass-Side where the intake is.

The sides, top and bottom get plated for added strength.

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

Still on the lifted buggy. Next step is to create the side rails. Since too much lift will make some things interfere with the body, like the steering box, I am doing a tapered lift. It effectively will be 3 inches in the rear and 2 inches in the front. But I do not want the side beam to look tapered. I want to fool the eye, but still be strong.

First step is to relief cut the boxed tubing, 2"X3", to make the graceful bend matching the body lines.

To get the proper curvature, I set the body on the rails and use a 1 inch ratchet binder hooked in each end and gently pull the curve into the rail to match the body profile. Sometimes they are different side-to-side.

Here is how I am tapering the lift so it does not look tapered. In the rear, the 3 inch tall tube sits on top of the what is left of the original pan, so it adds 3 in the rear.

In the front, the lift comes in on top of the bat wing at 1 inch below the surface of the Napoleon's hat ledge. The Napoleon's hat will get extended over to the lift tieing into it creating a super strong front support.

Use the body to properly center the side rails and make sure the profile lines up perfectly. Lots of space to fill in on the cross member.

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

I forgot these two modifications. I weld plates over the holes along side the mechanical brake to help take away stress areas that promote cracks. I also trim down the unnecessary bracketry and weld it up more solid.

In addition, with the hood installed, you can see the clearance on the steering box. Much more lift and the steering box comes into contact and the hood needs cut.

Next to do on the lifted chassis is to finish in the side rails and tie in the Napoleon's hat, build the rear cross member and add the lift to the Napoleon's hat.

Since I like a smooth bottom on my side rails so the body bolts cannot be sean, I drill holes where needed, countersink the holes, weld in threaded bushings and grind flat. The first two photos you can see the front Napoleon's hat is tied into the side rails and the lift built into it too.

Holes are counter sunk with a 1 inch drill bit. This affords me the area to weld into to get a good solid weld on the threaded inserts.

I use a magnet to hold the insert while it is tack welded.

Weld them.

Grind them flat.

Next is to fill that rear cross member gap and add some strength. Because this will not have a typical roll cage on top, I need to add some additional strength to the rear so it does not cantilever and flex. All the rectangular tubing used is 0.120 wall, so it help distribute the load through out the chassis. Also, the rear of the side rails have been cut to proper length, and caps welded in.

Here is a little better shot of the front. Notice the forward extending tubes supporting the beam in case it gets "lawn darted" on a jump.

Next up is to lay some flooring. Since the side rails are thick 0.120 wall and on the inside the floor ties into the strong tunnel ledge, I do not like putting in floor supports on a 14 gauge floor. They are not needed unless thin 0.090 wall tubing is used that has some flex. Once the floor is fully perimeter welded, the flat floor does not flex and with the addition of double coated bed liner, it does not drum. I have built 7 buggies with this style floor and have proven it.

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

When you are building a project, one important thing to keep in mind is forecasting the items you need, before you need them. That way, when the time allows you to work on the project, you have the parts in hand to just roll right into the next step. Sometimes, like this lifted Ecotec buggy, some items are unknown what to order.

In this very case, it is a radiator. No standard item for that, and the options are what ever you dream up. But radiator prices have drastically went up since I drag raced V8's. And me being a cheap @$$, I do not want to buy twice, because I am not that nice.

Doing a lot of research while burning evenings in a hotel room while out of town working brought two radiators to the fore front. One being a Honda Civic. A lot of Rail Buggy guys running Ecotecs use the Honda and it works great to cool the engine. And then the price goes up for a custom "tuner" hidden radiator I stumbled upon.

Here is the space I have to work with. A few options exist for rad placement. Can cut the body and put in the back seat, except I do not cut bodies. Can mount in the rear, but makes the buggy longer, and puts weight even further rearward. Can mount on the side, right side due to exhaust on the left side.

Ordered the exhaust and got it in to help on proportions.

Time to make some patterns. The closest one is the Honda Civic.

Next do some trial fitting.

The decision was made to go the expensive route, the "tuner" radiator. It is shorter getting it up off of the ground more. the fill was not up under the body, it is dual pass, and rated for 400 horsepower of BTU heat exchange.

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

One item I skipped over is the rims and tires. I love the original Ultra Mags. They were made for off road racers and since I have a proverbial shit load of them, what else? The rear tires are 33 11.50's and the fronts are 215 75 15's. Re-sand blasted the rims and cleared them to freshen them up from years and miles of use on the Puzzle Manx.

As seen in the above post, I did set the rear trailing arms up to check clearance, get a good shock length to order those ahead of time and check the axle angles.

I install the arms without the torsion bars so I can articulate them and check body clearance and shock lengths. It also helps when making sure the radiator did not come close to the axle and CV.

Here you can see the rearward angle of the axle because of the 3 inch longer arm.

And checking angle of the axles to ensure the CV will not get over extended and blow itself apart. Shimming of the lower spring plate stop will be done to trim them into a safe zone of movement.

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

Other than some specific parts ordered, some plans drawn up, and ideas to research, that is where the lifted Ecotec buggy is currently at.

On to the lowered buggy to finish it off.

A dash was needed and a new one bought from Meyers Manx. I use the cheap sheet steel welding clamps to level out the dash during bonding. Both surfaces to be bonded were sanded and tapered to open up new glass for proper adhesion. After the first layer, I go back and remove the clamps and sand the surface again, and layer in again to get 5 total layers of glass for a very strong bond.

The center fuel fill hole in the hood was not where I wanted it to be. So, ground it down to open up fresh glass, and down to a knife edge. Taped over it, and layered the glass in on it in successive larger circles to build it back up to the original hood thickness.

I use the original Aluminum Duct tape. It releases nicely, and holds shape for me too.

Now to layer in no more than 4 layers at a time so as to allow a good curing of the resin/glass.

After the initial "hole" area cured, I re-sanded and laid in more glass in a longer rectangle area to add strength to the hood where the new smaller hole will be.

And cured, it made a nice and flat surface to work over.

The rest of the body needed very little repairs. The turn signals were mounted on top of the fenders and those holes were closed. The battery trey had a large hole for the battery cables. And the rear tail had some air void issues. Otherwise, it was the best used body I have gotten my hands on.

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

Onto making a dash support bar. I am not a fan of needing to remove the steering column in order to remove the hood/dash. That whole deal is just not maintenance friendly, and me being lazy, makes for a different approach.

A good super solid mount using the original VW U-Strap and rubber gromet.

Then I cut a long "U" shaped cut that allows the hood to be dropped over the column in place.

Hood on and ready for windshield. And as can be seen, the roll bar is also test fit to align with the windshield.

I use paint stir sticks to gauge the space taken by the windshield to dash/hood gasket.

Having had two different hidden windshield mounts seize on me, I like to go old school style and use bolts from the outside. I use machine head SS bolt with a Allen socket. Look decent and is easy to get out when needed.

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

And onto a fuel tank for this lowered buggy. I just cannot leave well enough alone, I just feel the need to modify things to the way I like them. More fuel!

Roughly sand blasted the tank of choice. Cut the original early fuel fill off. Cut the bottom of the tank out to inspect.

Bought a locking fuel cap and filler adapter for it. Found it on Coyote Gear. And the cap is vented.

https://coyotegear.com/steel-products/filler-necks...69q-Fu_ZPI

Just so happens to fit a 2 1/4 inch exhaust pipe very nicely.

I like to fill the original filler hole from inside. Unfortunately I have found by laying the patch on the outside and welding it can close the gap between the hood and the tank causing it to hit, and inflict a re-do. With a big hole cut in the bottom, I form the patch to fit nicely and weld it in.

I also like to make a larger plate to weld in where the new filler will go. Makes for a nicer weld job and a stronger end result.

Back to using my Cave Man tools. My wooden fuel filler locator/drilling apparatus. This thing has come in handy on more buggies than I can remember. First I set it up where I want the hole in the fuel tank, and mark th fenders with a sharpie so it can be relocated exactly.

Once I locate the hole on the tank, I remove the wooden locator, install the hood, then drill the hood in the same place.

Then drill the big hole in the hood.

As see if it lines up.

Measure, cut to length, and weld the filler neck on.

And test fit the locking cap, and flip top cover.

That is all fine and dandy, but with no bottom, it means nothing. So, welded up a bottom to clear the tie rod and tunnel. Estimating about an additional 1 gallon of fuel, but the biggest thing is the original outlet was moved and now the tank will empty close to 99% of it's holding capacity. Makes for a nice long range traveling fuel container.

Treated the inside with Red Kote. I have had very good luck with this product. Over a collective 100,000 miles on buggies fuel tanks I have built, and over 60,000 miles on the one in the puzzle manx.

The exterior was treated with Over Kote. The end result is not a pretty tank, nor a pretty finish. But this tank like the others I have built will last longer than the original VW tank did, and since the hood does not open, you cannot much see it anyway. I like to give the fuel tanks three weeks to cure to no smell left inside. Setting in the sun helps speed the process.

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

So the Cat is already out of the bag on this lowered buggy since the reveal for it was last weekend, 11-16-19. Chances are you may have already seen it on Facebook. So, you will now get to see some of the players who came to help me get it finished on time, and lend their expertise that helped make it an outstanding build and story.

One of the things I tell people all the time that ask me how to do stuff on buggies, is, I know more how to screw things up than I do to do them correctly. Painting. I have wasted more materials than what I have used over the years. Case in point, the base for this paint job. I do not know what I did, but the base just would not set and cure. We even shoved it out into the sun and chased the sun with the shadows to try and get it to cure.

While we were waiting on it to cure, we worked on everything else we could to get it closer to completion. Here, the actual Owner of the buggy, Paul, and David, whom I have known since 1st grade, are working the brake lines on the chassis.

Paul marking the pan gaskets, and using my Roper Whittney Punch to punch holes in them.

About 2 in the morning, Paul and David laying out the dash to cut.

After a lot of concern, checking it about 100 times per day, the base did cure. As a safety caution, we went ahead and sanded the base because it had been almost a week curing.

We are now 3 weeks away from the reveal, and just starting to paint. One of these weeks, I have to work a 70 hour week across the state.

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

A little back story. Right at two years ago, in the fall of '17, while we were starting to gear up and prep to run the NORRA 1000 in Baja Mexico, in my Puzzle Manx, Paul and I were drinking a beer together in the NC Outer Banks and talking about our buggies. I asked about Paul's oldest Daughter, when her wedding would be. Paul kind of shrugged and said they had been engaged for while, but do to her betrothed's obligations for playing on a Major League's Farm Team, his immediate future was unknown. (I got to meet Paul's kids on our first trip across the US in '14. Then again in '15, and many other times since at buggy events.) But Paul said when the date does happen, he would like to build a buggy to give to her and and his future son-in-law as a surprise gift.

I had gotten to know Paul's daughter Brittany pretty well, and she is a super person, very kind heart, very giving, caring, works hard and has a fantastic personality. Skip forward to the NORRA 1000 race in Mexico. Paul told me they set the date, the wedding was going to be in November 2019. But Paul does not have a garage, did not know how to weld, or paint, or fiberglass work. So, "dude, bring it to my house and we will build it, and I will teach you how to do most of those things".

I received the chassis in June '18 and started working on it. I did not want to teach Paul how to weld on a chassis that was going to get used. But the rest, sure. So, here is Paul laying down the first coats of flake on the body. The first time he has flaked. If you go back in this thread, you can see where I showed him how to sand blast, paint, and bed line.

Paul picked the colors and the custom mix of the final 4 coats of flake that created his version of the original flake color "Jubilee". It took all day to lay the flake and way into the night. Allowing the clear to flash between coats. I did some of the interior because I have the knuckle dragging arms that can reach the back package trey. Paul did almost all the rest with me mixing and setting the gun.

Flaked and ready for clear the next morning. David is an excellent painter, and offered to shoot the initial clear to help get it started. Paul and I would complete the clear over the next two days.

The clear really made it POP!

The paper on the edges of the body served two fold, it kept the air from stirring up dust that may have dried on the under body, and it backed up the spray to help the hard to paint edges take the paint very nicely.

Wet flaking is labor intensive, but the depth that it creates is fantastic. The layering and the orientation of the flake is more than 2D, like dry flaking is, it becomes 3D with flake up on edge and at different angles. It captures the sun at different angles and pops wildly. The base layers of flake were done in a 50/50 mix of 0.008 and 0.015 flake. the the secret mix to top it brought it alive from just a monochrome color to something very unique.

After finishing the clear at about 4 PM on Sunday, 10-27-19, Paul drove back to New Jersey. Yes, Paul had been commuting from NJ, a 8 hour trip each way, to work on this buggy. I had to work most of the coming week. So we let it set for almost one complete week. I taped it off, scuffed the body and dash, then shot bed liner on it.

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

Now it is the weekend of November 2nd. Pauls comes in on Friday, 11-1-19 and we start sanding the clear. One full freaking day of nothing but sanding. David comes over, as does another friend, Wayne, who has a buggy he built and has also attended a lot of the buggy events we do. Wayne lives about 20 miles from me. A lot closer than Paul.

With the body completely sanded, inside and out, it is ready to start buffing and then polishing. David mans the buffer and teaches Paul how to buff.

Step I buffing compound.

David moved onto polishing, and Paul is buffing the interior at the same time, while Wayne and I are still sanding.

Step II Polishing compound.

WOW! What a massive shine on the body. And the cool thing about clear is it has a built in UV protectant. It does not fade like Gel Coat does.

While they were finishing up polishing the interior, I started mounting the wiring and pulled it through the tubes under the fenders.

Sunday, 11-4-19, we mount the body on the chassis. Paul goes back to NJ and I told him we have this, focus on the wedding and we will finish it, and bring it there. I go to work the next day and start my 70 hour work week.

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

My departure date with the buggy heading for NJ is Thursday, 11-14-19. It is now Sunday, 11-10-19. 4 days to complete the buggy and test it, correct issues, load up and be ready to roll out. And one of the 4 days I have to work across the state.

Wiring is paramount. With the steering column mounted, I like using the weather pack connectors on it so when maintenance happens, it is a easier removal. Wayne and David come over and help on the wiring.

I love the Rebel wiring harnesses. I have used them in 16 of the 18 buggies I have built and have yet to have any issues with them.

Both the battery and the master disconnect are taken from my Puzzle Manx. Since this buggy will be parked in an attached garage, I told Paul I wanted to put both a fuel shut off valve and a power disconnect on it for safety.

Fuel shut off valve is reachable from behind the pass side tire.

Dash is wired up with the switches and Speedhut Gauge. Speedhut is another vender I really like using their items on my buggies. Really nice, and Paul customized it with the Meyers Manx logo, and the Wedding date. A Charging station was also added on the bottom of the dash. it has a Voltage gauge, USB and Cigarette style charging adapters. A LED under dash light also installed.

I set the wiring up for easy removal of the dash/hood. Two weather Pack connectors, one male, one female to not get them mixed. The key switch carries a lot of AMPS, as does the light switch, so these are direct wired without a connector, but long leads.

Since this only get a roll bar, I set the seat belt mounts up with the stock style in the tunnel, and a 1/4 inch thick plate capturing two 3/8 bolts in the chassis mounting system.

When I built the Resorter back in June/July, I used the bumper I had already made for this buggy. So, I had to at the last couple of days, make another custom bumper, and paint the rear and front bumpers.

Mount the seats and install the windshield. Remember the special bolts I talked about to mount the windshield? Well, I lost them. Not something even Fastenal carries. So, I crawled into the house garage, past Darlene's covered Miata, all the other junk piled up, and into the Puzzle manx to remove those special bolts from it's windshield.

Last thing to do is to align the suspension. Oh, what day is it? it is 11-14-19. Darlene and I are supposed to be on the road already. Set up the strings using jack stands and set the alignment. Rear is balanced around the front perfectly and set at 13 minutes tow in. Front is set at 20 minutes tow in.

I did put about 0.3 miles on it in front of my house, then off to NJ. Left at 4 PM on Thursday.

Another side story about this buggy. Paul and another buddy went to look at the body when it came up for sale several years ago. Somehow they PO'ed the guy, and he said no matter what, he would never sell to Paul or the other buddy. So, it popped back up for sale again, and Paul took Brittany and James almost there, got out, and Brittany and james went on to the guys house to buy it. So, she bought her own buggy. Now, flash forward to about Midnight on Thursday, 11-14-19, I stop just outside of NJ state line to get fuel in my Jeep. I stop, fill up, come out of the store from a restroom break, and see this police car parked there. I notice where it is from, and it is the town where Brittany and James bought the buggy years before. Hellertown PA.

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

the wedding is to be held in Franklin Lakes NJ, just outside of NYC. The host hotel is close by, but Brittany and James are also staying there. The way this buggy pops in the sun, if you are into buggies like Paul's kids are, you would spot it a mile away and instantly know what it is. So Darlene and I bring our dog, and the host hotel is not pet friendly, good! We stay about 20 minutes away and out of sight.

The day of the wedding, I am almost to the venue with the buggy behind the Jeep and Paul calls in about half a panic. Where are you? I am entering the round about right outside the venue. Well, the Photographer takes Brittany and her wedding party out the front door for photos. I duck behind a Chase bank until it is over, and they are back inside. I roll it past the venue and to a lower further away parking lot. Another accomplice, Bud, comes over from the venue to help me detail it. 34*, wind blowing, and we detail it in suits.

When the time is right, Paul gives me the nod, I go get it and pull it up out front, and then we get Brittany and James to come out and see it.

What a cool build to be involved with. A great couple getting a sweet ride. Brittany is a Teacher, and drives a '74 VW Thing to school as a daily driver. I know she will drive this buggy once in a while to school too. Can you imagine your Teacher showing up in something like this? She will be the coolest Teacher there!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: