Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

Great story and a beautiful buggy!

I know you were in a rush to finish it but... the red shocks clash badly with the body color and you forgot to put the windshield wipers on. Wink
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

Dang Joe - wonderful story and both buggies looking fantastic! Your "adventures" in the buggy world beat all the TV car builder shows - Hands Down!

So when will the book be coming out??? Every one of your builds has a story to tell - probably enough to create several volumes!
Jeff
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Great story and a beautiful buggy!

I know you were in a rush to finish it but... the red shocks clash badly with the body color and you forgot to put the windshield wipers on. Wink

Thank you for the compliment!

When one buys the top shelf Koni Shocks for a buggy, one does not repaint them, but wears them as is.

I did fit the wiper arms, but when I picked them out for Paul when we were at ACME in Harrisburg PA for Buggies by the River, I picked what I had on my Puzzle Manx, which has a 2 inch taller windshield, so, they were too long. And finding out on Wednesday, 11-13-19, I just did not have the time to get the correct units. The wiper motor was tested, pulled apart, greased, painted and installed, so it is ready for action. Before Brittany and James start driving the buggy regularly, it will get the wipers mounted, the Speedhut fuel gauge calibrated, jets changed in the Weber 40's to one step smaller, the seats lowered just a smidge for James, (the mounts were built adjustable with that in mind), headlights aimed, a whip and flag installed and maybe a LED lighted whip for safety.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

GS guy wrote:
Dang Joe - wonderful story and both buggies looking fantastic! Your "adventures" in the buggy world beat all the TV car builder shows - Hands Down!

So when will the book be coming out??? Every one of your builds has a story to tell - probably enough to create several volumes!
Jeff

Ha! Thanks for the compliments, but I do not think I could be a "personality". My lips speak before my tongue can stop them, and usually something un-PC, off color, hillbilly, or truthful comes out and pisses people off. For now, I will stick to the Samba until Everett censers me.

As a side note, Paul joked with me about naming the buggy "Popcorn". Last year I was hosting the awards part of the final dinner at Manx Around The Mountain in Maggie Valley NC, and in the middle of giving out the awards, without thinking, with my mouth dry, out comes "excuse me, I gotta get a drink, my mouth is as dry as a Popcorn Fart". Bruce and Winnie Meyers just about rolled out of their chairs, and Brittany could not believe I said it, and then repeated it amongst her family a lot.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

My wipers are a poor fit too!
1madmanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
As a side note, Paul joked with me about naming the buggy "Popcorn". Last year I was hosting the awards part of the final dinner at Manx Around The Mountain in Maggie Valley NC, and in the middle of giving out the awards, without thinking, with my mouth dry, out comes "excuse me, I gotta get a drink, my mouth is as dry as a Popcorn Fart". Bruce and Winnie Meyers just about rolled out of their chairs, and Brittany could not believe I said it, and then repeated it amongst her family a lot.

OMG!!! THAT'S perfect. I'm roaring all over again.
'66 Kombi Bus
'73 Thing
Visit my Galleries:
https://manxclub.com/forum/app.php/gallery/album/44
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

As always, Awesome, Beautiful and Clean work!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

I honestly don’t know what’s more impressive, the engineering on these buggies or the fabrication. Joe has put some real thought and expertise into these builds, with so much hidden function lurking under all that shiny metal flake. Great stuff.
Dal Churchill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

Little known fact, some wiper arms are adjustable for length. Not saying yours are, but might be worth checking before buying others.
joem32380
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

all of your builds are turning out legendary.

We need an update now that we are into the new year.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

joem32380 wrote:
all of your builds are turning out legendary.

We need an update now that we are into the new year.

I have done a good bit of work not yet represented on here. But with a Reveal date of April 1, 2020, it is at the point that if I post photos to my archives, or post up here on this thread, the overall package or look of it will be shown early. Since I am using some new machines and tooling, some new designs, and certainly a new look on a old, traveled body, too much will be exposed to even have a reveal.

So, as with Brittany's Wedding Buggy, I will post up the work after April 1. There is some cool stuff going on with the Ecotec conversion, longer travel suspension, and suspension control overall, steering, different bumper designs than my normal, supplemental fuel system, and a different take on a roll cage design with hidden supporting system.

A completed Photo Shoot is already scheduled on a Beach, so...........

Just have to wait at this point.

slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

TEASE!!!!!! 😁

Can't wait for the reveal

brad
mcdoc2000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

Any updates? In this time of COVID I need to see some more of your wizardry for motivation.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

mcdoc2000 wrote:
Any updates? In this time of COVID I need to see some more of your wizardry for motivation.

Because of my health issues, this COVID Quarantine is not really a change for me, it has pretty much how I lived my life since getting a Kidney Transplant coming on 19 years ago. I do hope everyone else is doing well, staying healthy and finding ways to keep boredom at bay.

There are a lot of details I can share without totally revealing the final buggy, so if it helps entertain, here are a bunch of follow up posts!

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

It is no secret amongst my friends that I am old school and like mechanical things, because I can fix mechanical things out in no where.

Same holds true for clutch mechanisms. This Ecotec buggy will not be hydraulic, because some of the places I run, there is no parts store to get fluid and tubing to replace. But carrying a extra cable takes very little space. This Ecotec will also get at least a Stage II Kennedy Pressure Plate to help turn the 33 inch tires and much greater horsepower. Since this buggy will get driven in the city trafic too, I want to avoid Clutchitis.

Since it is mechanical, I use leverage on my side. Leverage was defined by Archimedes when he stated if he had a lever long enough and a fulcrum, he could move the world. Longer levers do require you to move greater distances, but they lessen the load.

The length of the lever inside the bellhousing is set do to the fixed engine and trans. But, the lever on the outside of the bellhousing can be altered.

The throw out arm. I have been subtly lengthening the throw out arms for a lot of years and people who have driven my buggies always comment on how soft a touch my clutch is. Well, here is my secret.

I lengthen the throw out arm to 4 inches center-to-center. In this photo you can see where I cut the stock 091 6 rib throw out arm and beveled the edges for good weld penetration.

Tack the two original pieces and the filler material, (1/2 inch thick flat stock) and check for straightness before final welding.

Weld-er up.

You do not have to clean the arms up as long as it is welded well. But as one of my secret things, I clean them up to look stock.

And the finished product re-installed and ready for use.

Yes, you will have to move your leg more to disengage the clutch, but it is only about 1 inch more movement. If you keep your pedal in proper adjustment, you will never even notice the difference, except your calf muscle will not be twice the size as you other.

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

Along the same line as the throw out arm, the later VW pedal design leaves a little to be desired on strength. When coupled with heavier clutches, they tend to fail down at the bottom where they mount to the pivot shaft. The older pedals were solid forged, and the new is stamped steel plate. A old trick is to weld the back of the clutch pedal to add torsional strength. The photos pretty much tell the story.

I have added better leverage, I have added better strength, I have welded the clutch tube in the tunnel with additional material to add holding strength. The last thing I can do is to take away friction from the system.

Any time metal slides on metal, there is not only friction, but increased wear. Since about 2013, I have been running Classic Bug Parts pedal upgrades on my buggies. Ron and Jayne came up with a great solution and added a roller pivot to the end of the clutch pedal shaft. I have one in my Puzzle Manx and it has over 65,000 miles on it, one Baja race, and shows no sign of wear. This system also all but eliminates friction, even more reducing the pedal effort to operate the system.

Sandblasted, primed with epoxy catalyzed primer, and painted, the parts are ready to go together. Since this Ecotec will be a DBW, (Drive By Wire), a electronic pedal will be mounted to the forward firewall of the buggy in lieu of a traditional pedal. But me being me, I leave the mechanical goodies just in case I need to come back to them, for what ever reason.

The Classic Bug Parts shaft upgrade compared to the stock unit. Look how the stock was wearing, causing more friction.

Together and ready to go. It is the time consuming details that take a buggy from a fun thing to drive every now and again, to an enjoyable every day and long haul driver that does not fatigue you at the end of the day.

manxvair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
It is no secret amongst my friends that I am old school and like mechanical things, because I can fix mechanical things out in no where.

Same holds true for clutch mechanisms. This Ecotec buggy will not be hydraulic, because some of the places I run, there is no parts store to get fluid and tubing to replace.

So how is the hydraulic clutch system any different then the hydraulic brake system? there's a lot more parts to the brake system.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

manxvair wrote:
joescoolcustoms wrote:

Same holds true for clutch mechanisms. This Ecotec buggy will not be hydraulic, because some of the places I run, there is no parts store to get fluid and tubing to replace.

So how is the hydraulic clutch system any different then the hydraulic brake system? there's a lot more parts to the brake system.

You just answered your own question. When any single piece of the single clutch system goes out, that is it. Like Bruce and Ted in '68, I have field repaired my brakes and made it home on two or three wheel brakes.

57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

Very cool Joe . . . thanks for sharing your tips! Cool
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Winter Builds for 2019: It's All About Me Now. Reply with quote

As long as you use safe practices, about anything you can dream up can be made or done on a buggy. Modifying parts is the core concept with a buggy, but always place you own, your passengers and those around you safety first. Just about anything that is not stock, almost always needs some modification to work together with other non-stock parts. Here are some of the modifications on this Ecotec buggy I have had to do.

Seat belts. instead of just running a lap belt, I am going to run three point retractable units. Instead of drilling a through hole in the roll cage and running a bolt through it, I modified some hex threaded collars and welded them in to make a solid mount and least compromise the roll cage tubing. Using Grade 8 bolts that are 1 1/2" long, the shear calculation would rip the steel on the production belt mounts before shearing the bolts.

Ground almost all the hex off the threaded collars so they could better fit into a smaller hole.

I scored a heavy duty two piece tow bar from a older couple for $ 60. And since it is not a traditional VW tow bar, which would not fit anyway do to the design of my front bumper, I wanted some way of easily taking it off and putting it on. On the bottom of the front bumper I welded in receiver boxes for the second piece of the tow bar. Two regular hitch pins and it is off/on. I did need to narrow the second piece which can be seen in the middle of the second piece angle iron. I did box the underside of the angle iron at the weld for strength. The two receiver boxes hang about 3/8 inch lower than the bottom of the beam.

The rear disc brakes are AC Industries wide five units. The 3 X 3 rear trailing arms are EMPI units. The two are not compatible. The caliper mounts will not work on these arms.

Not too big of a issue, just ake new mounts and weld them on. Plates are 1/2 inch plate, the same thickness as the original mount.

The hard part is how to properly line up the mount so the caliper is in line with the rotor, proper depth, and centered for clearance during wearing movement. I like having a mechanical brake, as I have address above, so I used the mechanical brake to push the pads out and square up the caliper while the new mount was bolted onto it, then tack welded the mount to the arm. Once checked for proper alignment, finish welded.

The utility knife blade was used to space the caliper off the edge of the rotor, but be very close to it to ensure the pads get the max bite on the rotor and not hang over the edge.

And repeat for the right arm.

A old tip from the Early How to Prep your bug for Baja, is to remove the sway bar to allow for suspension articulation, then use it to fill the long tie rod to add strength to it. Make sure to not make it too long so that the tie rod ends can thread all the way in. And weld it in the tie rod tube.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: