Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan Tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

Working on a 74 Super, it came in already with working 1 piece windows. Thought i was upgrading with a new 1 piece kit from JBugs that has new wider platform regulators, new glass, sashes, upper channel, and 'supposedly' inner/ outer scrapers. It all fits like shit no matter how much time is spend shiming and adjusting. And the scrappers are a complete joke, they are a incredibly shity design. What pisses me off is the ones that was in the car were ok to be reused and looked like a factory piece with felt and real clips that hold in place. Looks like we may end up putting all the original German regulators in bur i have no solution for the scrappers.

Basically what i need is inner and outer scrappers from another company that work. Id love my old ones back but the guys trashed them. Not sure what we had because they were full length for 1 piece windows ( no wing window) and fit like a factory part. Really hoping someone can lead me to a place to order the pieces i need to finish this part of the project. Thank you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

I don't think that I have used these, but John usually sells good stuff. https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Replacement-Scrapers...958-64.htm
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ryan Tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. Ya those are the same as came in my kit, just a pitaful design that wont work. You have to slide these steel strips on these rubbers then cut out holes in the tiny rubber for these clips that are not spring metal...once they collapse enough to go in the hole they dont expand enough to stay in place. Horrible. If you half ass them in place the first time you roll up or down the glass it peels the rubber right off the metal strips. Thats why factory uses felt so it dont glue itself to the dang glass. Ive tried powder and all the tricks i cant make them work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
I don't think that I have used these, but John usually sells good stuff. https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Replacement-Scrapers...958-64.htm

That link states these are only for 58-64 doors. FWIW, I would consider going back original with the vent wing glass installed. JMO

Where there is no vision, the people perish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

What do ya'll know about the Wolfsburg Scrapers for a 74 Super? Have one for the passenger side door but yet to install.. RB
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

I have made my own using garage door seal rubber, riveted to a metal strip I had to trim the rubber, 30 years on and still good.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

RailBoy wrote:
What do ya'll know about the Wolfsburg Scrapers for a 74 Super? Have one for the passenger side door but yet to install.. RB

I was going to suggest to the OP Wolfsburg, I dont have any personal experience with them but from what I hear from everyone there stuff has the best fit and finish in the industry besides original vw but there $$$ lol
Ryan Tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

Thanks guy, i will research that when i get home tonight. Got to be a better option, empi ones are a joke. Bad
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

Ryan Tucker wrote:
Thanks for the link. Ya those are the same as came in my kit, just a pitaful design that wont work. You have to slide these steel strips on these rubbers then cut out holes in the tiny rubber for these clips that are not spring metal...once they collapse enough to go in the hole they dont expand enough to stay in place. Horrible. If you half ass them in place the first time you roll up or down the glass it peels the rubber right off the metal strips. Thats why factory uses felt so it dont glue itself to the dang glass. Ive tried powder and all the tricks i cant make them work

Sadly, I'd have to agree about the ones from Aircooled. They had a good design, in that the ends had metal rods to insert into the rubber to get them to hold the shape of the curve of the window opening in the door. The issue is with no felt on the inside of the scraper, it sticks to the window. The other issue is with the metal strip that slides in to a channel in the rubber seal. The rubber seal is grabbed by the glass (because of no felt) and pulled away from the metal strip and turns into a big mess.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

I also recently learned that 46-51 VW bugs originally came with one piece windows (so before vent windows). So I'm wondering if the seals and scrapers would fit our application, and if they have the felt? I found the one below at WCM, and I'll need to do more investigation into it as a possible solution.

https://www.westcoastmetric.com/i-22964353-111-705t-l-r.html
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

you wood think with all of those shity window kits somebody wood make some good shit...but apparently no....my bug has them....like yours they were on the car. Ive put in a set of winders and need to change the pass side again, it never was right when it was a new winder. the seals are shit...I have a compleate new window kit(bug poop) I got for about $25....or less. just incase I even needed any parts/window. I had planed on getting scrapers from another car( big swap meats) and using them but stoped going to those swap meets since I dont do big hp cars any more& dont need to look at it. I have 1 nos door, when I get another good door for the other side Ill put them on with the wings in place.
Ryan Tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:
I also recently learned that 46-51 VW bugs originally came with one piece windows (so before vent windows). So I'm wondering if the seals and scrapers would fit our application, and if they have the felt? I found the one below at WCM, and I'll need to do more investigation into it as a possible solution.

Wouldnt that be cool, let me know what you find out and thx
Ryan Tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
you wood think with all of those shity window kits somebody wood make some good shit...but apparently no....my bug has them....like yours they were on the car. Ive put in a set of winders and need to change the pass side again, it never was right when it was a new winder. the seals are shit...I have a compleate new window kit(bug poop) I got for about $25....or less. just incase I even needed any parts/window. I had planed on getting scrapers from another car( big swap meats) and using them but stoped going to those swap meets since I dont do big hp cars any more& dont need to look at it. I have 1 nos door, when I get another good door for the other side Ill put them on with the wings in place.

Right.
I like the clean look but wished i had a new vent window setup. I think part of the top had to be cut out to fit the 1 piece design may not be reversable without changing the whole door??
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

Ryan Tucker wrote:
mark tucker wrote:

Right.
I like the clean look but wished i had a new vent window setup. I think part of the top had to be cut out to fit the 1 piece design may not be reversable without changing the whole door??

As I recall, a tab at the bottom of the window opening on the door near where the vent window meets the regular door window had to be removed or moved out of the way. Most times people would simply cut the metal strip in half and bend it back into the door out of the way, which is what I did 25 years ago. I kept the original windows so I could go back to them. If this problem with the seals and scrapers continues, I may very well do that.

beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

Ryan Tucker wrote:
beetlenut wrote:

Wouldnt that be cool, let me know what you find out and thx

Well, underwhelming response received from West Coast Metric today. Asked about the felt backing on the seals and scrapers, and this was the response, "This part we make is rubber (no felt) and cut to 42 inches". I did also find one at Wolfsburg West, but it also doesn't have a lot of info on it.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111837471

Ryan Tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

Sucks bad dont it?
Mine were cut by whoever back in the day so mines not reversable even if i had the parts
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

Not remembering felt on any of the scrapers that I have been installinig for a while.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

OK, so here's a possibility.

https://www.mooreparts.com/automotive-felt-window-scraper-32-long-1-8-1-2-wide-5-8-7-8-tall-set-4/

Have to go home and take measurements to see if these are long enough. They look like they have a metal strip embedded in them.

NakMuayD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

its got one review for 5 stars... but ive had really messy luck with glue-ins in this tx heat

glad I saw this, I was just on the verge of getting those snap in empi's

gone but not forgotten: '70, '71, '73, and '74 Bugs | '81 Ironhead | '13 Monster 796 | '93 El Dog
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

NakMuayD wrote:
its got one review for 5 stars... but ive had really messy luck with glue-ins in this tx heat

glad I saw this, I was just on the verge of getting those snap in empi's

I wasn't planning on gluing them in, except the ends where they curve up. I was going to use a dremel tool and cut out the holes for the snap-in clips.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: