Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

OK, I'm going to pull the trigger on these and see how they work out. I measured for these https://www.mooreparts.com/automotive-felt-window-scraper-32-long-1-8-1-2-wide-5-8-7-8-tall-set-4/ and they look long enough and have the same profile and dimensions as the EMPI and other one piece offerings out there.

Right off the bat they have two things going for them that the others don't. The felt inner part of course, and the fact that the metal strip is embedded in between the two rubber halves. Can't tell you what a PITA is is when the rubber catches on the window, and the rubber part pulls away from the metal strip on those others. I'm going to use my old seals and scrapers (which I just put in last Summer and are still new) as templates to cut out the holes for the snap-in clips.

Wish me luck. I'll report back when I go to put them in once the deep freeze of Winter lifts up here.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

It has been several years since I had to screw with 1 piece windows but.....if memory serves me, there is an early Bus window scraper that is supposed to work, almost pop in. I want to say 57??? Or somewhere around there. Might be worth a look. Sorry I do not recall, but I do know that they worked.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
1967BugDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

Any luck on those moore scrapers beetlenut???
NakMuayD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

i on vaca right now but i was planning on posting a couple of pic...

what i did was got the empi snap-in type, put the bar and clips in, then i high temputare glued strips of felt to the glass facing side of the scappers.. worked like a charm!!

the glue was all temp all surface loctite and 1 felt square from hobby lobby was like 40cent

gone but not forgotten: '70, '71, '73, and '74 Bugs | '81 Ironhead | '13 Monster 796 | '93 El Dog
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

1967BugDude wrote:
Any luck on those moore scrapers beetlenut???

They came in a few weeks ago, but I haven't had time to put them in yet. Been caught up with wet sanding and polishing my car. Figured I'd do the doors last along with the windows again. The path that NakMuayD took interests me since I already have the snap-in type seals and scrapers installed.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

I am very interested in these Moore parts, but how do you curve the front piece? How do I curve the pieces that came in the kit? I have some of the scrapers that would go in the door if I still had a vent. Those have beefy felt, and have a curve molded into the rubber there at the back. Not these.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Marion, Iowa
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

I didn't end up using those Moore parts scrapers. They just didn't fit right. I ended up fixing, or recreating the replacement scrapers I originally got from Airhead.
First, I went to the craft store and bought some sheets of black felt, cut them in 1/16 inch strips, and super glued them to the inside edge of the scrapers.

Second, I super glued the metal strips with the square holes for the clips, into the tracks on the scraper, so they were one piece. This solidified the scraper and made it rigid.

I reused my old clips, which still had tension from the spring steel they were made from. I still had to use some of the new clips, but the old ones held pretty well.

I was using Loctite gel super glue that came in a pretty well designed applicator bottle.

I also super glued the scrapers to the door with that glue behind the clips.

That was over 18 months ago, and they've held up well so far.

Too bad who ever made those replacement scrapers didn't try installing them into a car before they released their product. I think I went through one bottle of gel super glue per scraper, so not a trivial job.

bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

OK will take what you did into consideration when I do mine. Still no info on how the curve is done. Can you post a photo off how you did the area up at the front of the door? I don't want to ruin the scraper set I have cutting them up.
Marion, Iowa
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

bomberbob wrote:
OK will take what you did into consideration when I do mine. Still no info on how the curve is done. Can you post a photo off how you did the area up at the front of the door? I don't want to ruin the scraper set I have cutting them up.

When I did mine, there was a small segment of aluminum rod, maybe 1/16” in diameter, which was inserted, with the help of liquid soap and pressure, into a molded hole. After the wire was inserted, I simple molded it by hand to follow the curve.

Do the new sets not come like that?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

My kit is an older bug pack one, two or three years old. When I bought the car it had already been modified, drivers door glass was busted out, passenger side was tinted, and tinted side windows in Iowa are illegal.

This is what I have to work with, not sure if I put relief cuts in it and try to form it around, or what. That front end will need glue, there wasn't enough material there to dremel holes for clips. Previous owner made several mistakes.

Marion, Iowa
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

A quick search shows the Empi ones for 65.00

https://socalautoparts.com/product/window-scrapers...gJDe_D_BwE

You should call and make sure they come with the rod for the corners.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

The ones I had from AirCooled also had those Aluminum rods for the ends. I thought that was a good idea and was at first impressed with them. I basically had to make some relief cuts in the rubber below the window line of the seal, and glue them to the inside of the window opening. Once you get the bend laid out with those Aluminum rods, they go back in pretty easily. I used wood wedges, like hinge shims to apply pressure to the scrapers in the curve section until the glue set up.

Not going to lie, a total pain in the ass. In fact I had already installed one side, and watched in horror when the whole scraper rolled under when I rolled down the window. I ripped that POS out and thought for a while before I came up with the solution I eventually went with. You couldn't pay me enough money to do that again!

bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

Looks like the EMPI kit at socal has those rods. If I mess these bugpack parts up there are no more, they went out of business 4 years ago. So do these one piece setups not use those clips that go up in the upper part of the door? Looks like the instructions say to glue these up in the trough.
Marion, Iowa
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

bomberbob wrote:
Looks like the EMPI kit at socal has those rods. If I mess these bugpack parts up there are no more, they went out of business 4 years ago. So do these one piece setups not use those clips that go up in the upper part of the door? Looks like the instructions say to glue these up in the trough.

Some are glue, some have the clips. I glued AND used the clips. These are the Aircooled ones http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Replacement-Scrapers-...965-77.htm

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

While on the subject of scrapers... I brought this up in another thread but no one responded, sure wish I could get an answer for this:

My bug is a 1969 but had 7 clips & matching door holes for the window scrapers, I discovered this when I tried to replace them several months back, here is a picture of the inner scrapers showing the 7 clips, notice how a couple of the clips are offset:

The door holes match this offset precisely, this is how the car came from the factroy.

When researching replacement scrapers every single vendor lists the 7-clip scrapers as thru mid-68 only, with 4 clip scrapers replacing them for mid-68 up.

So my questions are: did the factory use leftover 68 doors (and matching scrapers) for my 69? If so, would the replacement 7-clip scrapers still fit my car or are their clips all evenly spaced where a couple of mine are offset??

I tried ordering the correct listed 4-clip ones for my car and they are complete junk, such soft metal they bend like crazy trying to snap them in and will not snap in and stay with the 3 missing clips anyway.
PLEASE someone help me out

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

Yep- same response I got last time. Rolling Eyes

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

beetlenut wrote:
bomberbob wrote:

Some are glue, some have the clips. I glued AND used the clips. These are the Aircooled ones http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Replacement-Scrapers-...965-77.htm

I also used dish soap to lubricate the scrapers, so they did not fold under. Works great!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

OK tried window scrapers again yesterday. I am using the EMPI scrapers, since I ruined the bug pack set that came with the window set. I decided to try and use both the clips that came with the EMPI set, with the little metal rods to hold the curves, and glue (3M Windo-Weld urethane). Drivers side outside first. Did not go too bad, I applied the urethane to the door only, as I did not want to get that black stuff all over the place. I felt the clips pop when they went in. Went to do the passenger door. What a mess. I could not get one single clip to hold. Took the mess out, put in new clips, same thing. I ended up putting it back in and just jamming cardboard shims in to try and hold the scraper in till the glue dries. 24 hours cure.
I think I have another scraper and the metal strip, and the little metal rods but I will have to order more clips. Do you think it would help if I hardened the clips by getting them hot and tossing them in oil or water? These seem too soft, they bend just going through the scraper before they even go in the holes in the door. One more attempt and I think its just going to be screws for me. I am looking at doors on classified, but I have put so much work into replacing door skins, welding in bottoms, and making these rust free (plus paint) that I think buying replacement doors is last ditch effort.
Marion, Iowa
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

I know I'm chiming in here a little late but when I installed one piece windows in my '69, I wasn't crazy about the rubber scrapers that came with the EMPI kit either. I went to a Cambra Speed Shop in Downtown Orange CA. They sell window felts in like five or six foot lengths. They have two different styles. One has a chrome strip on top, great if you still have the chrome trim on your car as well as windshield and quarters etc. I got the style with a black trim piece because my car is dechromed and I powder coated the trim on my pop-outs black. I curved the ends up and it looks decent and has the fabric fuzzy felt on the inside. These were mounted with little screws. You goaa take your time, but it's doable.

bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

Looks nice. The fuzzy felt would help with the glass grabbing the rubber and sucking it into the door. I am going to glue in the inside scrapers tonight. I pushed the clips into the scrapers to get them ready to just pop in, thats how I did the outside set. Not enough room to get them in now, so I had to ruin the clips pulling them back out. I have extras to push in tonight. I bought some felt they called "moleskin", its fine felt with adhesive on the back, its supposed to protect window tinting from getting scratches. I will put that on the scrapers so they don't grab the glass. Somebody posted that these need a little of the rubber trimmed back, I will see after I get everything in with the glass.
Marion, Iowa
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: