Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can't pump washer bottle (Bug 1966)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ofir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Can't pump washer bottle (Bug 1966) Reply with quote

Hi,
I have bug 1966, I want to restore to the original windshield washer.
I try to put air with bicycle pump to the valve, but I can't pump it.

Please help

Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Can't pump washer bottle (Bug 1966) Reply with quote

Can you unscrew the schraeder valve from it, like one can do on a tire?

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Ofir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Can't pump washer bottle (Bug 1966) Reply with quote

Hi,
I don't know how to do it, any idea?

Thanks
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Can't pump washer bottle (Bug 1966) Reply with quote

Ofir wrote:
Hi,
I don't know how to do it, any idea?

Thanks

Google valve core tool. Some metal valve caps actually include these.

Maybe real narrow needle nose pliers; valve core should unscrew.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Can't pump washer bottle (Bug 1966) Reply with quote

this kind of valve is fitted...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrader_valve

this valve is also used for most car tires, and on many bicycles tires (bicycles may use one of two types, some have schrader valves, others use a different type called a presta valve

the schrader valve can be removed from the valve body with a small special screw driver inserted from the top ie... the side you attach the air supply pump to, it is a standard righthand thread. replacement valves can be bought at bicycle stores, and automotive tire stores. In fact you can take your washer tank to a bicycle store or tire store and ask a helpful employee to change the valve out for a new one, it takes less than a minute.

Good Luck, Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Can't pump washer bottle (Bug 1966) Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
the schrader valve can be removed from the valve body with a small special screw driver inserted from the top ie... the side you attach the air supply pump to, it is a standard righthand thread. replacement valves can be bought at bicycle stores, and automotive tire stores. In fact you can take your washer tank to a bicycle store or tire store and ask a helpful employee to change the valve out for a new one, it takes less than a minute.

Great advice !!
mark40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't pump washer bottle (Bug 1966) Reply with quote

You might just make sure the valve pin is not stuck, they can be from time to time. Just push on the pin with your finger or a tool. If is free, then you need to remove the valve as stated above.

Mark..
Ofir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't pump washer bottle (Bug 1966) Reply with quote

Thanks to all, will check and update.
Ofir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Can't pump washer bottle (Bug 1966) Reply with quote

O.K I went to bicycle store, he replace the valve, still can't pump it Sad
We try put air through it without the valve - nothing come out.
It's clogged?

How I can open it?
Enclosed picture of the washer bottle fluid, before/after clean....also picture of the old valve.
I have this bug 1966 since 2000, this system never worked, previous owner added electrical pump, I remove it and want to restore it to original with air from spare tire Razz

Thanks

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Can't pump washer bottle (Bug 1966) Reply with quote

Perhaps I misunderstand you.

you state that you try to put air in, but nothing came out. Do you mean...

1. air will not enter the bottle via the schrader valve.

2.. no fluid nor air comes out thru the squirter upon operating the squirter knob on the dash after an attempt at pressurizing the bottle

3. bottle does not pressurize or does not hold pressure.

4. other?

let us know

good luck

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Ofir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Can't pump washer bottle (Bug 1966) Reply with quote

1. air will not enter the bottle via the schrader valve

we also try enter air without the schrader valve, nothing enter, nor nothing come out of the cap (air should come out of the cap, when I put air through the schrader valve?)

Thanks for your help!
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Can't pump washer bottle (Bug 1966) Reply with quote

Ofir wrote:
1. air will not enter the bottle via the schrader valve

we also try enter air without the schrader valve, nothing enter, nor nothing come out of the cap (air should come out of the cap, when I put air through the schrader valve?)

Thanks for your help!

1. You may have a leak in the system. if you cant pressurize the bottle.

2. you may have a clogged air inlet. with the valve removed, you should have a clear opening into the bottle

for case 1. you should leak test. you can test for leaks in bottle, bottle fittings, cap by pinching off the hoses near bottle, submerge bottle in a bucket of water, and pump air into bottle, observe for air bubbles, which indicate a leak.

you may also have a leak in the tubing, dash knob. inspect tubing, attempt to blow thru the tubing, it should pressurize, you may do this by mouth or a hand powered pump. the tube, its connections, or dash valve maybe leaky. water with dish soap in it can be brushed on to tube and its connections, dash valve such that when you pressurize the tube, soap bubbles form at the source of leak

Bug On!

Ofir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Can't pump washer bottle (Bug 1966) Reply with quote

The washer bottle is in my kitchen now Very Happy it's out of the car.
I try to pump it with bicycle pump, but it's very hard, can't put air in to it.

Here it is in my kitchen:

What's the problem, what can I do?

Thanks
mark40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Can't pump washer bottle (Bug 1966) Reply with quote

With the valve removed did you try to blow air into the bottle with a rubber tipped blow gun or use the tire inflate tool. Usually a valve needs to be present for the tire inflate tool to work.

If the valve assembly is still clogged, you need to remove the valve assembly (metal threaded part) and clean or replace it.

Remove the nut showing in your photo.

Mark..
Ofir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Can't pump washer bottle (Bug 1966) Reply with quote

mark40 wrote:
With the valve removed did you try to blow air into the bottle with a rubber tipped blow gun or use the tire inflate tool. Usually a valve needs to be present for the tire inflate tool to work.

If the valve assembly is still clogged, you need to remove the valve assembly (metal threaded part) and clean or replace it.

Remove the nut showing in your photo.

Mark..

With the valve or with the valve removed I can't blow air into the bottle.
How I can remove the valve assembly? I removed the nut and washer.
By removing it won't cause leak later?

Thanks for your help
wachuko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Can't pump washer bottle (Bug 1966) Reply with quote

It is a very simple system... remove the valve... using a thin wire try to unclog the valve base assembly.

1961 VW Beetle - Ownership Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=711372
Ofir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Can't pump washer bottle (Bug 1966) Reply with quote

Good news!! Very Happy I fix it!!
After removing the valve assembly (put it inside the bottle, and then take it out from the hole in the bottle, was a little hassle, but I did it) I found it clogged heavily with limescale, see the pictures.
I open it with needle, and.... I can pump air through it! Laughing
Then I put it back, and a little hassle again to catch through the small hole of the base, I tight it, checked for leaks, no leaks.
Install it in my bug 1966.....surprise it's working like a charm!!

Thanks to everyone here that support & help solve this issue.
I have my bug ~18 years, and today come the day that it works like it should.
Now I'll install the HELPHOS valve hose between the spare tire to the washer bottle, and that's it.

Thank you very much

glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't pump washer bottle (Bug 1966) Reply with quote

Glad you got it sorted, but wait, how the hell did you do it? Normally one might be able to drop the inlet valve stem down into the reservoir, but once there it's rather trapped as those washer tanks have a sleeve inside them, I guess you could rattle it out but with that sleeve in place, how would one then be able to get it back in place and then keep it there to tighten the nut unless you were "Plastic-Man"

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't pump washer bottle (Bug 1966) Reply with quote

If it's so terribly difficult to install, how did the factory assemble it in the first place?
Wink
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't pump washer bottle (Bug 1966) Reply with quote

Yeah - after I posted the above, I had the same thought. I did take the time to go outside and take that photo to illustrate my point, but then I had to wonder how hard it might be to remove that sleeve. It must like pop in place and might be removable. But I have never done so, nor tried to do. (and had I done so, I would have definitely described the process of doing so to instruct others as to the possibility!)

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: