Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cannot Get My '70 into Gear!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tunnvar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

Happy New Year!

My bus has been sitting for months due to not being registered or insured. I regularly turn it over in the drive way and let it run some. I have driven it up the country lane I live on a couple of times in the past few weeks just to get it moving and it has done great. However, I wanted to do this the last few days and I just cannot get it into gear. When I push the clutch I can hear a light grinding noise, louder than usual. I can get it into reverse, but having no luck with 1st. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance all.

[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-35638.png]Click to view image[/URL]
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

One of the worst things you can do for your engine is to run it a little bit here and there. Either don't start the engine or get it out on the road and get it fully hot is you do start it.

Maybe you transmission ground cable isn't conducting electricity well and some of your starter current has been running through your clutch cable causing it o stretch. The clutch cable could just be fraying from age as well.
tunnvar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

I did not know that Wildthings, thanks for letting me know. Unfortunately I've not been able to drive it for some time so I just thought running it might keep it alive.

Re the clutch cable...is this a simple replacement?

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

tunnvar wrote:
I did not know that Wildthings, thanks for letting me know. Unfortunately I've not been able to drive it for some time so I just thought running it might keep it alive.

Re the clutch cable...is this a simple replacement?

The clutch cable is a simple replacement, buy a clutch cable kit for your year. Sadly not all clutch cables are the length they should be, but are often too long. Sad You might also want to have a replacement lever for the front end of the cable on hand in case yours is excessively worn.

Do remove, clean, and inspect the tranny ground strap and replace it if it is in less than A-one condition, they don't cost much. Use dielectric grease on the contact surfaces when reinstalling.
tunnvar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

Tremendous...thanks!!

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

can you put it into 1st when the engine is off?
tunnvar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

Yes...it slides in and out of gear easily when not running.

60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

sounds like the clutch disc might be stuck on the input shaft splines?

try this:
With the car not running, put it in 4th gear. Put your foot down on the clutch and get your wife, partner, kids, buddy, or whoever to get behind the bus and push it forward (like you're push starting the bus). As they push forward, slowly let out the clutch and tell your helper to keep pushing the bus forward, while it's in fourth gear only for a few feet. If the clutch is stuck on the input shaft, this will get it unstuck.

Now push in the clutch pedal, start the bus, and see if you can get it in first, and see if it goes.

If this doesn't work, you can rule out stuck clutch disc. Then it might be a worn out shift cupler or throw-out bearing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tunnvar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

Excellent idea, I will do this tonight! It is freezing cold right now, so this may be a factor too. Thank you for this advice.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

60vwnewengland wrote:

try this:
With the car not running, put it in 4th gear. Put your foot down on the clutch and get your wife, partner, kids, buddy, or whoever to get behind the bus and push it forward (like you're push starting the bus). As they push forward, slowly let out the clutch and tell your helper to keep pushing the bus forward, while it's in fourth gear only for a few feet. If the clutch is stuck on the input shaft, this will get it unstuck.

Now push in the clutch pedal, start the bus, and see if you can get it in first, and see if it goes.

X2

could be pilot bearing too or clutch disc stuck. If the above doesn't get it, pull engine and check pilot bearing. Other than time, an inexpensive repair if you fix it now.

If this doesn't work, you can rule out stuck clutch disc. Then it might be a worn out shift cupler or throw-out bearing.

Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

You might just try tightening the clutch adjustment up a few turns. Usually when the cable is fraying/ breaking this will help but relief will not last.
If you change the cable you will be tightening this cable anyway. Might as well practice.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
You might just try tightening the clutch adjustment up a few turns. Usually when the cable is fraying/ breaking this will help but relief will not last.
If you change the cable you will be tightening this cable anyway. Might as well practice.

check the freeplay before you change any adjustments on the cable.
tunnvar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
60vwnewengland wrote:

try this:

X2

could be pilot bearing too or clutch disc stuck. If the above doesn't get it, pull engine and check pilot bearing. Other than time, an inexpensive repair if you fix it now.

OK, NO LUCK HERE UNFORTUNATELY. Crazy thing is now, when I try to get it in gear whilst running...it is trying to creep forward with the clutch down fully. If I try to put it in reverse...it jolts backwards, again with the clutch down fully.

Baffled.

Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

So the clutch suddenly isn't quite doing it's job?
It's just a hunch, but look under the left side in front of the rear wheel. There is a steel conduit leading to a semi flexible tube on the side of the gearbox. The steel conduit should be fixed to the torsion tube. They can break away.
Also other end of flexible conduit on the gearbox is a bracket. The short bolts attaching it to the gearbox are prone to stripping.
Or some strands of the cable have broken.
Or something that needs engine out which is all the encouragement you should need to take a close look at the clutch cable. Smile
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

Once a clutch cable starts to fray it will keep on getting longer and longer with use. Do remove, check, clean, and/or replace your tranny ground strap as a bad strap will kill your new clutch cable. A very soft feeling pedal is a sign of a fraying cable.
tunnvar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

Does't look promising:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

You should be thrilled at finding the cause. Now change the cable and clean the tranny ground strap connections
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tunnvar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

It looks like 2 cables, or is that just because its frayed and snapped a bit?

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

tunnvar wrote:
Does't look promising:

Easy side of the road fix assuming you carry a spare cable and a few tools with you. Remember to look at the little lever at the front of the cable before ordering parts they are all getting badly worn at this point in time. Buy a kits that includes the clevis pin and if in doubt about the condition of the bowden tube buy a kit that contains a new one of those as well.

Even the best of these parts aren't very expensive so don't go trying to save money here, but buy the best you can get. Go ahead and order a new tranny ground strap as they are another inexpensive part that is more than likely due for replacement no matter what. You local NAPA will also have ground straps.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot Get My '70 into Gear! Reply with quote

30 minute fix, awesome.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: